cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ix Hero has worked, keeps re-booting

DrDonkeypunch
Level 7
Hello!

I got a new Maximus IX Hero a few months ago, and everything has been working perfectly.
So yesterday I was watching some YouTube, and suddenly the computer shuts off. Without logging off windows. No BSOD either.

So I try to restart, and the boot goes fine, just unti windows is supposed to start. But it automatically re-boots again. But stops at the same point again.

I then figure, its my ssd that might be dead, so I remove it from boot list, and plug in my windows USB to try and install it on my backup ssd, same thing happens, just when the windows installer is supposed to start, the computer reboots.
I get q code ae and 02 just before the re-boot is initiated.

So I check my ram, they are fine, I check my psu, it's fine, I check the gpu, it's fine.
So I notice there's an update for bios, so I figure I should try and update the my. I did and everything was successful. Then I do the final restart, and the me never boots again 😄

No input from gpu or onboard, no power to usb's nothing.
Fans start, but that's it.

I'm going to try and back flash the me today, and If it still won't start up windows, I'm trying my old Asrock my.

Has anyone had a problem like this?*
26 REPLIES 26

DevBiker
Level 7
You said that you checked your RAM, PSU and GPU ... how did you check them to determine that they are "fine"?
QCodes AE and 02 shouldn't happen before reboot, but after. Those are part of boot initialization.
Please list the specific components that you have in the system rather than making us guess.
Finally, what you are describing sounds suspiciously like a bad or underpowered PSU.

Heres a clip from yesterday, you can follow the screen, and the qcode display. https://youtu.be/OyGddSQpxPk

Asus Maximus IX Hero
Intel i7-6700k 3,4GHz, stock fan.
2x Corsair V RGB 8gb DDR4
Corsair 850CM PSU
GTX980 4GB
2x Corsair HD120
2x Corsair HD140

1x Samsung 850 EVO 240gb SSD, system and primary
2x Seagate 3tb HDD for work and secondary.

I changed the ram, the mb and corsair fans 2 months ago, and it has been working perfectly until now.

I tried the ram and gpu on a different mb, i meassured the PSU myself.

I tried updating the bios, just to see if it would make a difference. Just with the internet in Bios, it came off succesful. But after another reboot, im stuck at qcode 04. Theres nothing happening. No power to usb's, no picture in the monitors, neither on gpu nor onboard.
i tried clearing cmos, didnt do anything. I tried flashback, it was installing i guess, the led indicator did as it should. But when i start up again, it still stuck on a black screen, no usb's and qcode 04. I could hear my harddrives activating. But reading nothing. I unplugged all my hdd's again to see, and still the same.

Nate152
Hi DrDonkeypunch

It looks like it was hanging on code AE at the end which means it's looking for an OS.

Try removing all drives except the one you're installing windows to and try reinstalling windows. Before installing windows, on the boot tab disable CSM and set secure boot to Other Os then proceed to install windows.

How does it go ?

Okay, so first, i tried flashing the mb with the new bios, but still got stuck on 04 with no picture nor devices.
So i flashed it with the previous bios, and that worked, now i can actually get into bios, and have info on my monitors again.

Ive tried what you told me. Its booting the uefi windows installation, The q code showed AD then 61 now its like twitching between 03 and 04, and the display just has the ROG logo on. Nothing else.

Nate152
Ok good you now have display.

Be sure to select the proper installation media as Boot Option 1, after you hit F10 and Enter to start the windows installation, it should reboot and give you some options.

Okay, this is wierd. When i went into bios to turn csm off and secure boot to other os, i could see my windows installation and the clean ssd i wanted to install to. I set the installation as boot option 1. Then i F10'ened. And then im stuck at the Rog logo at 03 & 04 twitching :S

Nate152
Make sure sata mode is set to AHCI.

Have you disconnected all other drives leaving only one to install windows on? Also is your installation media genuine, meaning did you buy it from a store ?

Try with one stick of ram.

I'm not sure why it would tell you to enable raid with one ssd installed, if you've installed the IRST driver try removing it.