cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung NVMe [2.2 Drivers - Not Signed] [2.3 Drivers - Signed] Boot Critical WHQL

NeoBeum
Level 9
UPDATE 25th OCT 2017

Samsung released WHQL Signed NVMe Drivers a few hours ago...

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

They are still 2.2, but actually signed now

Samsung's Site has hit the limit for SSD Downloads, so here:
https://github.com/NeoBeum/ASUS-G751JY

updated title for the thread
=================================================================

Hi, I'm posting this here just for a heads up for some people - who may or may not experience problems with Samsung drives on the ASUS Notebook range.
Errors should only start to manifest if the device is attempting to use secure boot with the current NVMe 2.2 driver from Samsung.

This driver can be loaded multiple ways - Windows will use it's own NVME driver until the Operating System is online, then load the Samsung Driver - however if Windows has installed it in such a way where the notebook attempts to load the driver during POST or prior to Windows Operating System - the device may fail to boot.

I'm going to be sending Samsung an email too - to see if they can get the driver signed. Fairly simple process... I was going to do it myself - but it needs Samsung's certificate, not mine.

I haven't been able to get this driver working properly in the PE while Secure Boot is enabled in my G751 Recovery Tinker Project - https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94784-G751JY-Windows-Server-2016-All-Drivers-amp-Hardware-...

If you're not having issues - don't worry about this - but if you have experienced problems using a NVMe Storage device, this may be one of the factors attributing to the fault.

Thread in Hardware section for mod/admins

53 REPLIES 53

NeoBeum
Level 9
Just an update for the Samsung 2.2 Drivers -

Samsung just called a few minutes ago - and they've escalated the ticket I raised to HQ.

I should have something by 2 weeks maybe - they didn't give me a turnaround.

NeoBeum
Level 9
oh, if anyone is reading this, and you're using another vendors PCIE NVME that's not samsung, can you tell me the driver set you have for the nvme controller, I may as well do all major brands while im at it

Hello NeoBeum,

On my new R5E build, I am booting Windows 10 Pro (Creator's Edition) x64 off the Samsung 960 Pro (M.2 slot), and did this install with Secure Boot disabled. Then I replaced the Windows provided "Standard NVMe Express Controller" with the Samsung NVMe controller version 2.2.0.1703 from Samsung website, and after re-enabling Secure Boot, it is booting fine with no signature violation. Maybe Samsung has now signed version 2.2 and Windows placed the signature into the secure boot signature database, which is stored on the BIOS chip I believe. I had read it is good to install Windows with secure boot disabled, then let Windows update the signature database depending on what drivers it detects, then re-enable secure boot. The url where I got the Samsung NVMe driver vers 2.2 is as follows:

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

That site also provides Samsung magician and SSD firmware updates.

Do you think there was a delay in signing the driver or something else?

NeoBeum
Level 9
If you can read the NVME in BIOS, it won't need the Signing like on the G751, because AMI/Aptio will have signed it for you - (as a result of adding it for native support).

There's 3 stages where the driver can get injected - Windows PE (straight after POST/BIOS), then Windows itself, then in Recovery (Winre.wim in Hidden Partition C:\Recovery)

On the newer 960, the controller changed from on board, to another chip - i can't remember what it's called - but it changed where/how Windows sees the drive and it's controller - so the 960s will be OK - but for the older people using the 950 - if Windows tries to load the 2.2 driver - it may cause the Invalid signature.

If you have the 1.4.7 (1.1) driver still in the WinSxS directory - Windows will fall back to that during one of those 3 stages. I had the invalid signature when I purged my windows driver store - some people may experience other faults, or not at all.

The IRQ for the NVME and the SATA in AHCI/RAID should occupy the highest portion of the Negative IRQ (Closest to Zero) Starting at -2. This is where the problem can manifest - where Windows will set a different affinity for one of the drives - and then you'll encounter a BSOD or something
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This is why you can't switch out in BIOS between AHCI or RAID once Windows is Installed. The AHCI on the HM87 is categorised as IDE/SATA ACHI Controller, and the RAID is SCSI SATA RAID Controller.

I had some spare time, so I wiped the default Windows AHCI RAID disks I had, and set them up in Bios as RAID, and I have it working while Samsung Magician is installed.
The drives I had was the stock HGST 1TB 7kRPM - and they have a 60% increase in performance. I would recommend doing a Hardware Raid, if users are going to use a RAID set up - but it would only be worth while - doing so at a New Install - trying to do this conversion on an Installed Online OS, is impossible - well .... (not really I did it just before - but I had to preload and install the IaStorAC.inf, before loading the IaAHCIC.inf in the Windows PE, OS and Recovery) - but I didn't bother with recovering data from the original RAID 0, and just chose to wipe. (I'll link you to the posts with my Bench) https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95544-G751JY-Windows-10-1703-Creators-Update-2017-Driver-L...

I haven't heard back from Samsung yet - but I'm assuming that it's not an issue for their future product line - so there's no need for them to Sign the driver for what they would now consider a Legacy device for their NVMe Range.

NeoBeum wrote:
If you can read the NVME in BIOS, it won't need the Signing like on the G751, because AMI/Aptio will have signed it for you - (as a result of adding it for native support).

There's 3 stages where the driver can get injected - Windows PE (straight after POST/BIOS), then Windows itself, then in Recovery (Winre.wim in Hidden Partition C:\Recovery)

On the newer 960, the controller changed from on board, to another chip - i can't remember what it's called - but it changed where/how Windows sees the drive and it's controller - so the 960s will be OK - but for the older people using the 950 - if Windows tries to load the 2.2 driver - it may cause the Invalid signature.

If you have the 1.4.7 (1.1) driver still in the WinSxS directory - Windows will fall back to that during one of those 3 stages. I had the invalid signature when I purged my windows driver store - some people may experience other faults, or not at all.

The IRQ for the NVME and the SATA in AHCI/RAID should occupy the highest portion of the Negative IRQ (Closest to Zero) Starting at -2. This is where the problem can manifest - where Windows will set a different affinity for one of the drives - and then you'll encounter a BSOD or something
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This is why you can't switch out in BIOS between AHCI or RAID once Windows is Installed. The AHCI on the HM87 is categorised as IDE/SATA ACHI Controller, and the RAID is SCSI SATA RAID Controller.

I had some spare time, so I wiped the default Windows AHCI RAID disks I had, and set them up in Bios as RAID, and I have it working while Samsung Magician is installed.
The drives I had was the stock HGST 1TB 7kRPM - and they have a 60% increase in performance. I would recommend doing a Hardware Raid, if users are going to use a RAID set up - but it would only be worth while - doing so at a New Install - trying to do this conversion on an Installed Online OS, is impossible - well .... (not really I did it just before - but I had to preload and install the IaStorAC.inf, before loading the IaAHCIC.inf in the Windows PE, OS and Recovery) - but I didn't bother with recovering data from the original RAID 0, and just chose to wipe. (I'll link you to the posts with my Bench) https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95544-G751JY-Windows-10-1703-Creators-Update-2017-Driver-L...

I haven't heard back from Samsung yet - but I'm assuming that it's not an issue for their future product line - so there's no need for them to Sign the driver for what they would now consider a Legacy device for their NVMe Range.

Thanks, I think I followed about 10% of what you said. But don't worry, I am on a learning curve here when it comes to driver signing and secure boot, and where these signature hashes are actually stored and examined. And I am afraid to build a RAID array, but with today's fast drives maybe it isn't as necessary for performance? Unless you do it for the mirroring. I feel fortunate indeed that I have not had too many problems building my system. Well ... I did have a problem with one of the BIOS chips becoming corrupted, but I "scienced" it. Hope my Karma holds out.

Yes the only reason for a RAID Array with SSD is like I have on one of my workstation. I have a 500 gb hard drive fail on a highly used data drive. I also had an old Intel 530 240GB SSD and a Samsung 840 256 GB SSD I put them in raid on to create 1 aprox 500 GB drive. I have confindenct that this SSD Array will outlast just about any Spinner.
Our notebooks come in RAID configuration with out any array, were just using intel IRST driver because it's a excellent driver for SSD's Samsung's NVME driver has not been shown to be any better than the IRST with the only difference being access to Samsung magician which is pretty much a useless program not needed for anything.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes the only reason for a RAID Array with SSD is like I have on one of my workstation. I have a 500 gb hard drive fail on a highly used data drive. I also had an old Intel 530 240GB SSD and a Samsung 840 256 GB SSD I put them in raid on to create 1 aprox 500 GB drive. I have confindenct that this SSD Array will outlast just about any Spinner.
Our notebooks come in RAID configuration with out any array, were just using intel IRST driver because it's a excellent driver for SSD's Samsung's NVME driver has not been shown to be any better than the IRST with the only difference being access to Samsung magician which is pretty much a useless program not needed for anything.

Thanks Clintlgm, but I am a little confused. Isn't the Samsung NVMe driver only for an M.2 -connected drive with PCIe interface, whereas Intel IRST driver is for SATA-connected drives? Unless IRST also provides a driver for m.2-NVMe, which I was unaware of. I liked the IRST interface and the drive stats it provides. however, I had to uninstall it because it was incompatible with Samsung Magician 5.1

For starterd you the IRST driver that was in your eSupport folder I think its available on the Asus Support Download website also, the flp version is the one you want copied to the same USB thumb drive your install Iso its.
Not that's not true, most if not all of our notebooks came running the IRST driver this it with the M.2 PCIe SSD NVME, on clean install you would start the install when you get to the point that you cant find your SSD to select. There should be a link to install a driver point that to your IRST driver on USB and Bam there your ssd will be there for you to select for your windows install.
At least since the G75 we have been running SSD on IRST drivers because they were better than the SATA drivers the very same drivers Run NVME M.2 SSD with out a RAID Array, no one had shown that the Samsung nvme drivers are any better. the only difference being Samsung Magican can't see through the RAID Driver.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

JustinThyme
Level 13
Honestly I don’t bother with all the hoopla over Samsung drivers. We have beaten this horse to the grave and back multiple times. There is no tangible difference from running the Samsung drivers. They only work on the consumer version drives, won’t even work on an SM961 which is a Samsung Drive, just OEM. Then you have to have the raid disabled aka bios setting of AHCI or Raid which is inaccurate and should be labeled raid enabled/disabled as NVMe is not AHCI. Why must you do this? It’s a shortcoming on Samsung’s part where their software can’t see past a raid controller. It’s been this way since the 840 EVO was introduced and the same on all platforms, laptop or decktop.*

So save yourself the trouble and just use the native drivers and load IRST on install. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein