cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VI Motherboard and worried

JMatzelle9362
Level 7
Hey,

I am currently looking into building a Ryzen Build but i hear that there are alot of DDR4 ram problems?

If i go with 2400mhz G.Skill Flare X will i run into problems?
Should i go Ryzen over the i7 7700K
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152

I have flare x 3200 and it runs out of the box, DOCP standard with correct timings no problem at all.

Hagno wrote:
I have flare x 3200 and it runs out of the box, DOCP standard with correct timings no problem at all.

Yep, it runs out of the box (with 1501), but the timings aren't 100% correct. TRC should be 48 but it something like 73 when left on auto. Everything else is fine. I'm now running mine at 3333 and 14-13-12-34-48-1T with 1.3750V.

Hagno wrote:

Hello Hagno,

I have that RAM also and every time I cold boot my PC in the morning it starts then stops then starts and boots into Windows. After it does this my RAM runs at its default spped of 2400 MHz and 16 16 16 etc timings. Are you not experiencing this behavior with your system? I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this. I'm thinking that maybe either my RAM is bad or the motherboard but I don't know how to diagnose the problem:( It doesn't matter if I overclock my 1700X or not it still does this. If I boot into Windows without the start stop restart everything is fine and totally stable.

dlbsyst wrote:
Hello Hagno,

I have that RAM also and every time I cold boot my PC in the morning it starts then stops then starts and boots into Windows. After it does this my RAM runs at its default spped of 2400 MHz and 16 16 16 etc timings. Are you not experiencing this behavior with your system? I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this. I'm thinking that maybe either my RAM is bad or the motherboard but I don't know how to diagnose the problem:( It doesn't matter if I overclock my 1700X or not it still does this. If I boot into Windows without the start stop restart everything is fine and totally stable.

I have the same CPU as you, but when the motherboard cold-boots it only emits a very short beep and proceeds like normal. I have fast boot enabled also. The behaviour you are describing only happened to me once, when i shutdown the pc and then unplugged the power from the pc, as i needed to move it around. I believe in that circumstance it's to be expected (for now i hope). But if i dont unplug the power cord everything is normal.

Do you have ErP (low power) enabled in your bios?
My RAM voltage is 1.37V, what are yours?
What is your SoC voltage?

When your load default settings, set DOCP standard to 3200 and then save and restart, does it still fail to train your memory?
Try one module at a time with 3200 perhaps.

Hagno wrote:
I have the same CPU as you, but when the motherboard cold-boots it only emits a very short beep and proceeds like normal. I have fast boot enabled also. The behaviour you are describing only happened to me once, when i shutdown the pc and then unplugged the power from the pc, as i needed to move it around. I believe in that circumstance it's to be expected (for now i hope). But if i dont unplug the power cord everything is normal.

Do you have ErP (low power) enabled in your bios?
My RAM voltage is 1.37V, what are yours?
What is your SoC voltage?

When your load default settings, set DOCP standard to 3200 and then save and restart, does it still fail to train your memory?
Try one module at a time with 3200 perhaps.

Thanks Hagno for helping. First of all I am on Bios 1403. I checked the ErP setting and it is disabled. I loaded the Optimised default setting in Bios and this is what it set it too. Also shows disabled "Restore on AC Power Loss", "Power on br PCI-E/PCI" and "Power on by RTC".

D.O.C.P Standard has set my Ram Voltage setting to 1.3500V but it is showing the voltage at 1.329V.

My SOC Voltage is set on Auto and the actual voltage showing is 1.111V.

"The behaviour you are describing only happened to me once, when i shutdown the pc and then unplugged the power from the pc, as i needed to move it around. I believe in that circumstance it's to be expected (for now i hope). But if i dont unplug the power cord everything is normal. "

Yea, this is the strange part. I am not powering down the power to my system. It is just a normal power down through Windows 10 when I shut down for the day and go to bed. The behavior is as if I am shutting off all power and it is cold booting.

dlbsyst wrote:
Thanks Hagno for helping. First of all I am on Bios 1403. I checked the ErP setting and it is disabled. I loaded the Optimised default setting in Bios and this is what it set it too. Also shows disabled "Restore on AC Power Loss", "Power on br PCI-E/PCI" and "Power on by RTC".

D.O.C.P Standard has set my Ram Voltage setting to 1.3500V but it is showing the voltage at 1.329V.

My SOC Voltage is set on Auto and the actual voltage showing is 1.111V.

I think there is a new bios for the board, first of all. Second, you can push your ram volts up a bit, as well as take your soc off of auto, and set it to 1.2. Sometimes you have to tickle the voltage with a bit more power to get them to act right.
I was running my ram at 1.4, oc'd to 3482 with no problems at all. My 1700 was oc'd to 3940mhz, and it was stable and smooth. I could get 1760's on Cinebench all day long. So it's worth learning a little bit about oc'ing. There is a ton of info on it online, just take it step by step. Hope this helps.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

AQUASTEVAE wrote:
I think there is a new bios for the board, first of all. Second, you can push your ram volts up a bit, as well as take your soc off of auto, and set it to 1.2. Sometimes you have to tickle the voltage with a bit more power to get them to act right.
I was running my ram at 1.4, oc'd to 3482 with no problems at all. My 1700 was oc'd to 3940mhz, and it was stable and smooth. I could get 1760's on Cinebench all day long. So it's worth learning a little bit about oc'ing. There is a ton of info on it online, just take it step by step. Hope this helps.

Thanks AQUASTEVAE for chiming in. I updated my Bios to the new 1501 on Asus's website yesterday and so far it's a keeper. As near as I can tell it has solved my start, stop and start problem and loosing my overclock setting on my Flar X 3200 MHz RAM. I'm not sure why though as others weren't having this problem with the 1403 BIOS. I am clocking my 1700X to 3800 MHz and, of course, my Flair X RAM to 3200 MHz with timings of 14 14 14 34 48 1T. I have tried to go higher with no luck with 100% stability. Could you tell me what settings you are using in your BIOS to achieve your overclocks? Especially voltages. Thanks.

Update. I am still having this odd boot behavior. Not sure what to do.:(