cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling pad for Laptop GL502VM?

pepilo
Level 7
Hi everyone,
I got my Latop ASUS ROG GL502VM 2 months ago and I'm very satisfied with it.
But I wanted to know if it worths it to get a Laptop cooling pad. I've been checking in forums and reviews and found mixed opinions about them. What eveyone seems to agree on is that they are more efficient with each laptop model.
Is anyone who has this laptop has noticed any improvement by adding a cooling pad?. if so, which do you recommend it?.

Right now my usual temperatures are:
CPU
Idle: 40/50C
Gaming: 80/90C with peaks up to 95C
GPU
Idle 30/45C
Gaming: 75/85C
Room temperature: 20/25C

If I lower the maximum processor state to disable turbo boost, the CPU temps don't go higher than 85C, but I'd like to be able to use Turbo Boost.

Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

StarJack
Level 11
pepilo wrote:
Hi everyone,
I got my Latop ASUS ROG GL502VM 2 months ago and I'm very satisfied with it.
But I wanted to know if it worths it to get a Laptop cooling pad. I've been checking in forums and reviews and found mixed opinions about them. What eveyone seems to agree on is that they are more efficient with each laptop model.
Is anyone who has this laptop has noticed any improvement by adding a cooling pad?. if so, which do you recommend it?.

Right now my usual temperatures are:
CPU
Idle: 40/50C
Gaming: 80/90C with peaks up to 95C
GPU
Idle 30/45C
Gaming: 75/85C
Room temperature: 20/25C

If I lower the maximum processor state to disable turbo boost, the CPU temps don't go higher than 85C, but I'd like to be able to use Turbo Boost.

Thanks in advance!

I have used numerous cooling pads with my GL702VMK and I have found the cooler master notepal x-slim to work the best. It has one large 180mm fan and seems to cool my rig by about 2-3 degrees C more than any of the others which had 3 smaller fans rather than one large one. If you want more cooling, look at the Opolar LC06 heat vacuum.

StarJack

StarJack wrote:
I have used numerous cooling pads with my GL702VMK and I have found the cooler master notepal x-slim to work the best. It has one large 180mm fan and seems to cool my rig by about 2-3 degrees C more than any of the others which had 3 smaller fans rather than one large one. If you want more cooling, look at the Opolar LC06 heat vacuum.

StarJack

Thanks!, I believe the Opolar LC06 (and all those kind of vaccuum cleaners) is meant for laptops with side ventilation and mine has them in the back. The CM notepal X-slim II seems a pretty good option. Thanks!

Cheers,

pepilo wrote:
Thanks!, I believe the Opolar LC06 (and all those kind of vaccuum cleaners) is meant for laptops with side ventilation and mine has them in the back. The CM notepal X-slim II seems a pretty good option. Thanks!

Cheers,

I use two of them and they definitely help.

StarJack wrote:
I use two of them and they definitely help.

Oh, that's great!, I wanted to buy the opolar but tought I couldn't use it becase the screen covers the airvents a bit when you open it, I'm going to check them out then.

Thanks!

link626
Level 7
the vacuum won't fit because you said it, the screen lid blocks part of the vents.

This is what I use when I need extreme cooling.

It has legs that can tilt the fan up when lying on a table.
like this.....

66835 66836

link626 wrote:
the vacuum won't fit because you said it, the screen lid blocks part of the vents.

This is what I use when I need extreme cooling.

It has legs that can tilt the fan up when lying on a table.
like this.....

66835 66836

Thanks for your suggestion!, that would truly put some air to the laptop!, but I move around a lot and need a more "portable" solution.
That reminds me when I had my old AMD K6 II and in summer I had open the case and put a fan on the side to throw some air at it so it wouldn't shut down :))).

Cheers,

pepilo wrote:
Thanks for your suggestion!, that would truly put some air to the laptop!, but I move around a lot and need a more "portable" solution.
That reminds me when I had my old AMD K6 II and in summer I had open the case and put a fan on the side to throw some air at it so it wouldn't shut down :))).

Cheers,

The Opolar does not fit perfectly but it does work. It drops my temps during gaming by approximately 6 degrees. It is the difference between 78/79C in PUBG or 72C (in my case). I have 3 other friends with GL702VMs and they all use an LC06 and swear by it.

Here is a close up of the Opolars and lid:

StarJack

Yeah, the Opolar should fit, actually in the questions in Amazon there's a few who ask about this Laptop model and the manufacturer confirmed it does fit. Also it should be very good for the latop because it would prevent the hot air to go to the laptop's screen.

I ended up undervolting my CPU following this thread:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061

and using a cheap cooling base I had for my work laptop and the temps decreased significantly, almost 10C while gaming. So for now I won't be buying any cooling solution.
Thanks for your help!