cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Vdroops causing instability

antony209494
Level 7
Okay...So after some research I realized that the newer bios updates (after 1201) have rendered my OC unstable at my old settings. I used to run the R7 1700 at 4.00 GHz with 1.375 voltage and it was fine. The newer updates forced me to also use LLC level 4. Problem is even with LLC there are still voltage drops which cause crashes but not during gaming or stress testing. During these tasks VCORE readings (HWinfo64) range from 1.373 to 1.395 (I know for a fact that 1.373 is enough to maintain 4Ghz on my chip). So that's fine. Problem is when the PC is idling it still drops the voltage as low as 1.352.

So here is how the crash occurs: As I said it is fine during gaming but if I minimize a game with Alt+Tab and try to do something else or just leave it like that for some time, it will crash after sometime with the same WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR I got when I was not using LLC (denoting unstable OC due to Vdroops). In other words, these drops to 1.352 become a problem when I have a game running in the backround (happened with Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2 and Fifa 17).

These drops to 1.352 when idling happen no matter the voltage setting or the LLC setting is (I have tried even up to 1.4 Volts with LLC 3 and this results in a scary 1.43V under load but it still dials down to 1.352 when idle). So what can I do? Vcore must never go below 1.373 no matter what to ensure total stability. Is there a way to force a constant voltage (and I mean really constant-never changing voltage no matter the load)?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7

MrPhil17
Level 7
I use LLC4 with 1,4000V. Lowest voltage is 1,3750V. Let's see if it help.

MrPhil17 wrote:
I use LLC4 with 1,4000V. Lowest voltage is 1,3750V. Let's see if it help.

I don't want to set it that high! It's gonna bump up to more than 4.3 like that and I only have a single block AIO. Thermals will probably become an issue. Isn't there a way to force a constant voltage regardless of load?

antony209494 wrote:
I don't want to set it that high! It's gonna bump up to more than 4.3 like that and I only have a single block AIO. Thermals will probably become an issue. Isn't there a way to force a constant voltage regardless of load?

Keep in mind that you will have a constant 1,4V only in idle / low usage. When your CPU start to work hard will work with 1,3750V. With my Corsair Hydro 100i V2 i got an average of 65° under stress test and only 40/45° during gaming sessions. I have this temps with a 4.0GHz overclock.

MrPhil17 wrote:
Keep in mind that you will have a constant 1,4V only in idle / low usage. When your CPU start to work hard will work with 1,3750V. With my Corsair Hydro 100i V2 i got an average of 65° under stress test and only 40/45° during gaming sessions. I have this temps with a 4.0GHz overclock.

Well after some testing. High Performance in windows still causes the drops under stress test load e.g Prime 95.

Setting LLC to level 5 in BIOS keeps it level. Anything under that leads to drops during stress tests. Level 4 may be good for many with a small drop.

I am guessing this behaviour is due to the new BIOS updates? Made me realise I need to pay attention to the LLC settings more. Guides were giving the advice of leaving it at auto which does not keep the voltage level on Load for me.

An example: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-amd-ryzen,5011-2.html

Nate152
Hi antony209494

To force a constant voltage set the windows power plan to high performance.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi antony209494

Didnt know that. Will have to test further between power profiles.

I had my LLC set to level 4 to try and keep voltage more even. Was thinking of trying level 5. LLC settings definitely help with stress tests.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi antony209494

I always run it on high performance. Doesn't help in that case.