cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Formula not recognizing Rival 700 mouse in BIOS?

flyinion
Level 12
Anyone have an idea on this? I picked up a Steelseries 700 to replace a flaky deathadder chroma a couple months ago and when I tried to go into BIOS this week to do some stuff (hadn't been in since the switch) I noticed the mouse is not recognized. If I swap out to the deathadder it works fine. I've tried both one of the USB3 ports and where I normally keep it which is the USB 2 port on the back at the "bottom" of the board (not the "keybot" port). I'm guessing the mouse is just too new for the non-updated BIOS to see it. I'm running the latest BIOS but ASUS hasn't released anything in a while of course.

Weirdly in the USB config screen where you can set legacy USB etc. it shows that it sees 2 keyboards, a mouse, and a pointer. Likely that means it's seeing my X52 joystick which sort of works as a keyboard and probably the pointer it's picking up (mouse nub thingy on it), then of course my actual keyboard and mouse. It just doesn't want to let the mouse actually move. I found something about changing the polling rate so I tried that. Set it from 1K to 125 but no go. I also noticed when navigating with my keyboard that everything will hang for a minute if I press the arrows too many times but I don't know if that's just my keyboard or interference from the mouse issue since I don't normally navigate the BIOS like that.
3 REPLIES 3

Chino wrote:
Try disabling xHCI and see if it gets picked up.

Is that something that should normally be disabled? I saw those options but didn't really know what they were talking about.

Edit: For reference, I currently have that set to "Smart Auto"

Chino wrote:
Try disabling xHCI and see if it gets picked up.

Hmmm, I'll give it a try, but after finding the following on the Intel site, I don't think it's going to have an effect except maybe on the keyboard because the mouse is plugged into one of the two rear channel USB 2.0 connectors..........

XHCI Mode = Disabled
The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port

XHCI Mode = Enabled
The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 3.0 port

XHCI Mode = Auto
The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load.
If you reboot the OS, the on-board USB 3.0 port again function like a 2.0 port during this reboot BIOS phase before OS USB 3.0 driver load.

XHCI Mode = Smart Auto
The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load.
If you reboot the OS, during this reboot BIOS phase, BIOS is "Smart" enough to avoid downgrade the USB 3.0 port back to 2.0 functionality before OS USB 3.0 driver load. So Smart Auto is faster than Auto on 2nd boot onward, but Enabled is fastest once you are sure the OS has the USB 3.0 driver installed, because it avoid the switching.
Making the on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port is mainly to support OS installation or to support OS that does not have build-in USB 3.0 driver, so that the USB keyboard would still work if the user plug-in a USB keyboard or any other USB devices into the USB 3.0 ports before the OS is installed with the USB 3.0 driver come with the motherboard.