cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU FAN error on Strix X299-E, even with low speed limit ignore.

Deus_Maximus
Level 8
So, I'm trying to run my AIO cooler off of the AIO_PUMP header, instead of the CPU_FAN header. Naturally, the board errors out on boot and tells me to set the CPU Fan Speed Lower Limit to Ignore under the Q-Fan Configuration.

However, even with this option set, it still gives me the same error and fails to boot past the BIOS. I've Googled this issue, and tried messing with the Q-Fan settings for the CPU_FAN header, but no luck.

Has anyone gotten this to work on the Strix X299-E without having to plug a fan in the CPU_FAN header?

Using the latest (as of time of writing) version 0702 BIOS.

Edit: Also submitted a technical enquiry through ASUS support to see what they say. For any ASUS support folks on the board, the request ID is WTM20170824153633038
5 REPLIES 5

Raja
Level 13
In the monitor page, set the CPU fan speed to ignore. That will prevent the error message from being displayed.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
In the monitor page, set the CPU fan speed to ignore. That will prevent the error message from being displayed.

Hi Raja,

That's kind of what I'm posting about. The only option is Fan Speed Low Limit, which is set to ignore and the error still comes up.

The only other option is to manually set the percentage of the fan speed for each temperature increment, and it won't allow me to go below 60%.

Regardless of what I do, the error still occurs, and won't let me go past the BIOS.

Edit: Whoops. Sorry, I just had a quick look in the BIOS, and didn't realise that the section where it tells you the RPM speeds on the monitor page, you can actually change and set to ignore.

So I just swapped cables around and put the AIO pump back on the AIO pump header, kept the chassis fan on the fan header, set the CPU Fan Speed to ignore and hey presto! It works!

So thank you for pointing out how blind I am, Raja. 😉

Chino
Level 15
As an alternative, you can connect your AIO's fan to the CPU_FAN header instead of the fan power-cable from the pump. That way you can run the pump at 100% and have individual control for the fan. 🙂

Raja
Level 13
Lol, don't sweat it, dude. I should have been more clear. 🙂

Vlada011
Level 10
I have same problem on Rampage V Edition 10.
Is it possible to motherboard not react on absence of Fan from CPU Fan Header and How?