cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM errors, cannot figure out why

ovidiu1990
Level 7
Hi guys,

I have recently switched from a laptop to building my own rig.
All of my components are brand new but i sometimes get some ram errors and i do not understand why. Maybe someone has a better idea...

So my config is as follows:
Maximus IX Formula
I7 7700K (no OC)
32GB DDR4 @2400Mhz HyperX Fury RAM
Gigabyte 1080Ti Turbo

It all started with some random BSODs related to memory management.
I decided to run MemTest in order to see what is happening. I have attached a picture below.
What is crazy about this is that if i run the tests after a cold boot (for ex first boot in the morning) the test will return errors. However if the computer is already running and i reboot it to run the test, then there are absolutely no errors.

I have tried many things but i cannot figure it out if it's the RAM, the mobo or some other reason ...

Any ideas?

23 REPLIES 23

Chino wrote:
Is that a single memory kit?

Sorry i forgot to mention: it's a dual channel kit (2x16)
Also what is funny is that the errors seem to always be in the same address range ... they just don't always happen.

xeromist
Run each stick solo one at a time to determine if there is a problem with an individual stick.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Run each stick solo one at a time to determine if there is a problem with an individual stick.

I did that, no issues ... i have tried all combos in all slots on the motherboard. It seems that the only way it doesn't like it is the Asus recommended way (slots 2 and 4)

xeromist
So you were able to run the same sticks in different slots? I wonder if one of the slots has a problem until it heats up. I would inspect slots 2 & 4 to see if there are any deformities.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Chino
Level 15
Looseningthe screws for your heatsink a little is worth a try to. I would also substitute Memtest86 for HCI Memtest since the latter is more effective in DDR4 testing.

Chino wrote:
Looseningthe screws for your heatsink a little is worth a try to. I would also substitute Memtest86 for HCI Memtest since the latter is more effective in DDR4 testing.

Thx for the advice. I got some more evidence. I had to run it multiple times (probably to cover the entire 32gb of RAM) but it did find some errors
So ... RMA the ram? how could i access that specific address to see if it is actually broken?

New info:
It seems that the RAM sticks pass all the tests individually, in any of the slots on the motherboard.
They do give errors when they run in dual-channel mode, regardless of the slots i use.

Also if you notice from the memtest results, the stored values are always off by 1 byte when read back. Also the address range where errors are found seems to be the same

Could it be that there is something with dual channel?
I don't understand :(:(:( all components are brand new!

Hello,

BIOS options, have you enabled the XMP setting?