cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag in Windows 10 and applications/games with SLI (Solved?)

Ljugtomten
Level 9
Crosspost from http://www.overclock.net/t/1636566/asus-rog-zenith-extreme-x399-threadripper-overclocking-support/12...
Myself and another user with ROG Zenith Extreme experienced a lot of lag/stutter when using SLI with nVidia graphic cards, equipped in the PCIE 3 x16 slots.

This seems to appear when Windows is using HPET. (I don't know if there is an option to disable it in BIOS)

Solution:
cheddle wrote:
Open CMD as an administrator

run:
bcdedit /enum

if you see 'useplatformclock' set to true then run thats your problem

I ran:
bcdedit /set useplatformclock false

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

you might get away with just running
bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

After I performed the changes above and rebooted, lag was gone when trying CS:GO. Pending more tests.
7 REPLIES 7

Raja
Level 13
I know one person had to do this on X299, too. No HPET option in UEFI, since this is handled by the OS.

Oh man! I didn't realize others were having this problem! I was just about to reload windows thinking the install was bad or something!
I will try this when I get home!

Wow. I did this over RDP, and even so I can tell it's night and day difference. Thanks so much for posting this.

Ljugtomten
Level 9
Can confitm disabling HPET fixed SLI issues that I was having.

Battlefield 1 on Ultra 2560*1440 went from 30-50FPS to 90-120FPS on my rig. (dual Gigabyte GeForce 980 G1 Gaming)
10 minutes on a map and max temp on CPU was 61 degrees celcius. (Corsair H100i v2)

Reporting back. Everything is perfect now in games. Thanks again!

Ljugtomten
Level 9

mdzcpa
Level 12
Does this issue only occur with X399 or X299? Running bcdedit /enum shows no addition of 'useplatformclock' on my Z270 (Hero IX) with AI Suite installed.

Scratch that. I think I've found plenty of information about AMD overclocking needing HPET activated in order to work. Perhaps AI Suite installs the entry only on AMD platforms.