cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VL - orig 12G RAM - slow configuration? Best memory upgrade path?

ST9752
Level 10
Didn't see any references to this in a forum search.

My G752VL has the original 12G of ram which of course means that it has a single 8G stick and a 4G stick located in the hidden upper slots. In my experience, some architectures are negatively effected by non-matching memory slot usage like this. I really don't know how this Intel chipset handles this.

I want to expand this machine with another 16 or possibly 32G of memory for use as a MIDI DAW. Is it necessary to replace that 12G or at least replace the 4G stick with an 8G in order to get max performance from the machine? Of course I would rather just leave it there and expand only the easily accessible slots. 😄

Thanks,

Scott
5 REPLIES 5

ST9752
Level 10
It occurs to me, maybe this is just a much more advanced chipset/memory controller than I'm familiar with. So maybe any slot can be populated with any size stick up to 16G.

Is this the case? Can I populate only a single slot at a time without affecting overall memory performance?

ST9752
Level 10
Okay, my bad, I did a more in-depth search and found the info albeit scattered around.

So, yes I can add one slot at a time and it's best to match the slots according to memory channel. I believe this is the arrangement of the slots. Cpu-Z will show what is populated in what slot.

Channel A: 0 and 2
Channel B: 1 and 3

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi,

G752VL has four memory slots, two on the front of the motherboard, two on the back of the motherboard.
Memory SPEC is DDR4 2133 MHz SDRAM, up to 64 G, (16 GB x 4).

ST9752
Level 10
Was I correct about the memory controller channel arrangement?

Channel A: Slots 0 and 2
Channel B: Slots 1 and 3

NeoBeum
Level 9
If you're not doing much Virtual Machine, Video Rendering or Development Compiling, you won't really use much more than 16GB.