cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crossfire EAH 4850

Retired
Not applicable
I just recently bought another copy of my video card for he purpose of crossfiring them.

I've noticed, however, theat since I've installed the second card, my games all seem to run worse instead of better.

For example, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2010 was running just fine with only one card installed, but now that there are 2 in there, the game takes almost 3 full minutes just to load the start screen, and when it does load, the game is incredibly choppy. I was also playing Singularity, and when I only had the 1 card in it worked great, but now that I have both in, I can't even change the screen resolution (if I try to change it, the screen goes black for like 2 minutes and then comes back up with the previous resolution as if nothing changed). And it's also incredibly choppy now. I can't even play it cause it looks so bad.

I thought having another video card and effectively doubling my video RAM would help, not screw me over.

HELP??
14 REPLIES 14

ottoyu34
Level 9
It could be drivers, you should be running the latest Catalyst drivers, You could also try do a fresh install after running driver sweeper.
OS registry could be damaged if you have been using it for a long time and switching different drivers without fully uninstalling and changing brands.

Elsewise, I would look at the power supply if It has enough power to feed both GPUs.
Anything weird happens in OS?

Retired
Not applicable
Oh yeah... Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 by the way : )

I haven't had any issues in Windows at all, other than the BSOD I got once after first installing the card. It just happened the one time, then I did a system restore and everything seemed fine.

Just to be safe though, I did a complete format & reinstall of Windows, and it didn't help at all. I'm running the next to latest version of the drivers as wel (I had let Windows update do it's thing, and then when I went to play Darksiders, everything was invisible but my sword. Rolled back the driver, and everything seemed fine.

As far as my power supply goes, I'm running a 650 watt with 6 pin PCI-E cables plugged into both cards.

Nothing makes any sense. Like I said, games were running better BEFORE I added my second card, which seems to be the opposite of what should be happening.

ottoyu34
Level 9
Could you be more specific about the power supply's make and model?

Retired
Not applicable
Hmmm, I was mistaken; it's actually a 700W. And it's a Retail Plus RP-PS24-700W.

I've got the MoBo, 2 case fans, 2 internal hard drives, and a DVD burner running off of it.

Also, thanks much for replying so quick. Other forums I've visited in the past have been slow as al hell : P

martin_metal_88
Level 8
It seems pretty hard to find info on this PSU. Have you tried each card alone?? Maybe the second one is defective? Also, are you using the crossfire bridge?
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Retired
Not applicable
Well I've got some news...

While screwing around with the card's settings and swapping them out in every which way and different configurations, I accidentally screwed something up, and when I booted windows, I wasn't getting a video image.
So I reformatted and reinstalled Windows, again. This time things seem to have gone better; I installed the new CCC version 2 that ATI just released, and it seems to have done some good.

I can now change the resolution setting within Singularity, thought the game still runs quite choppy. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is also running better (wel, loading faster anyways, it still runs choppy as well).
It seems like things are working,but it still doesn't seems Like I have nearly the 1 gigof video RAM that I should.

Martin, I've tried each card alone, and they seem to work fine. And yes, the crossfire ridge is on there.

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Ok. Don't hope for double the performance, it's not working this way, but you shouldn't have drop like that. For now I have no other idea but I keep you update ifsomething come to mind!
GL with the issue!
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Retired
Not applicable
Well this is just pissing me off now...

I went to play GTA 4, which I could do no problem at full HD resolution and a few graphics setting lowered before installing the second card. And now, with both cards installed, this is the result of the benchmark test using the automatic settings:

Statistics
Average FPS: 4.11
Duration: 10.46 sec
CPU Usage: 78%
System memory usage: 64%
Video memory usage: 64%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Reflection Resolution: High
Water Quality: Very High
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x4
Night Shadows: Off
View Distance: 25
Detail Distance: 31

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Video Driver version: 7.14.10.304
Audio Adapter: SPDIF Interface (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio)
AMD Phenom(tm) 8400 Triple-Core Processor

I couldn't even play the game at all. So I lowered some settings and tried again:

Statistics
Average FPS: 9.45
Duration: 6.77 sec
CPU Usage: 73%
System memory usage: 63%
Video memory usage: 41%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Low
Shadow Quality: Off
Reflection Resolution: Off
Water Quality: Low
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x2
Night Shadows: Off
View Distance: 25
Detail Distance: 31

According to the usage numbers in the game settings, I'm using about 600 megs of my 1 gig of video RAM. What the Hell????????

martin_metal_88
Level 8
after few hour trying to figure out spec of your PSU I point to that. This seems like a cheap staples unit. Probably a 350-400W branded as a 700W. The more it goes, the more I search and the less I find on your PSU, the more I think it's the issue. Do you have any spec of your PSU on the side of it like the 12V rail AMP and other thing like that?
Martin_metal_88

Ask for more!