cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally got the Crosshair VI EXTREME MOBO up and running

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
Okay, after many trials and tribulations, I finally received my new CH6 Extreme mobo today. I went to work on it immediately, and finally have it all up and running correctly. This is such an awesome board. I have so many things that come with it, that I have been working for hours installing it, and still haven't looked at half of the stuff that came with it. I will upload some pics tomorrow, and give more details on the board's performance. Hope it went well for all of my other compadre's who went after this board as well. Looking forward to your war stories.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11
13 REPLIES 13

dlbsyst
Level 9
AQUASTEVAE wrote:
Okay, after many trials and tribulations, I finally received my new CH6 Extreme mobo today. I went to work on it immediately, and finally have it all up and running correctly. This is such an awesome board. I have so many things that come with it, that I have been working for hours installing it, and still haven't looked at half of the stuff that came with it. I will upload some pics tomorrow, and give more details on the board's performance. Hope it went well for all of my other compadre's who went after this board as well. Looking forward to your war stories.

Sounds good AQUASTEVAE. I look forward to those pics and your thoughts on this board. I would love to pick this board up myself but I just barely set up my new system built around the Hero. I currently have a Wi-Fi card in my system but would sell it in a heartbeat if the Wi-Fi built into the Extreme can match its performance. It is the PCE-AC68 which supports speeds up to 1900 Mbps on the 802.11AC 5Ghz band. It's pretty awesome and allows me to keep my PC in another room and stream movies to my Samsung TV and Nvidia shield with no trouble. I know a lot of the guys here frown on Wi-Fi but I love it. Can you tell me what the maximum Wi-Fi speeds your new CH6 Extreme supports? Thanks.:)

dlbsyst wrote:
Sounds good AQUASTEVAE. I look forward to those pics and your thoughts on this board. I would love to pick this board up myself but I just barely set up my new system built around the Hero. I currently have a Wi-Fi card in my system but would sell it in a heartbeat if the Wi-Fi built into the Extreme can match its performance. It is the PCE-AC68 which supports speeds up to 1900 Mbps on the 802.11AC 5Ghz band. It's pretty awesome and allows me to keep my PC in another room and stream movies to my Samsung TV and Nvidia shield with no trouble. I know a lot of the guys here frown on Wi-Fi but I love it. Can you tell me what the maximum Wi-Fi speeds your new CH6 Extreme supports? Thanks.:)

Actually I haven't had a chance to test the wifi just yet. But I can tell you that it is fast. Just ran a quick speedtest on this browser as I read your post, and it was pulling down 75mbps, when I am only paying for 60mbps. So it works well, and that is without my having the antenna screwed in, and the modem on the other side of the house.
What I can tell you is that I also had just bought the Hero when this board came out, and since this board had everything on board, to free up almost all of my pcie slots, I sent the Hero back, and bought this Extreme board. And I'm so glad I did. There are soooooooooo many advantages that this board has over the Hero. I had over $90 dollars in pcie riser cards on the Hero, that I was able to return and that pretty much paid the difference in these boards for me. Also, with the Hero, the highest I could ever get my 1700 to clock stable was 3900mhz, but with this board, my first try at 4ghz was successful, and it pounded Cinebench. Then I pushed my ram up to 3400mhz (GSkill FlareX 3200), and I am getting 1780's to 1820's all day long on Cinebench, with no crashes!!!! I love this board. And it feels like I might be able to push the 1700 up to 4.1ghz. But I will allow it to run at its present level for a while before trying that. It's so stable right now, that there's no need to push it further yet.
Also, having everything on the board, freeing up all of my pcie slots except the gpu, gives much better airflow and lower temps. This allows so much more freedom to do so many other things in there!!! Another great thing is that the new placement for the start/reset/safe/retry buttons are sooooooooooo much more convenient. With the Hero, and all the lower slots taken up, I had a very hard time getting to those buttons. But now they are up top, and much easier to deal with. Along that same line, the QCode readout is also lower, and thus easier to see when booting. My M.2 drives are much cooler also. I had purchased a heatsink for my Samsung 960, but with the built in one on the Extreme, I was able to put that heatsink on my M.2 951, and now both are very cool running and never over heat. The extra fan headers allow me to use a push/pull config with my Kraken X62, which makes life much easier as well. Even though I went through hell with Newegg to get this board, it was all well worth it, even the excrutiating wait. I'm very happy with the mobo upgrade, and the graphic's card upgrade as well. I got rid of my Zotac 1080 Amp Extreme, and instead went with the Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Extreme. A much more powerful graphic's card. So the system is finally all loaded up and running very, very well now. I will get some pics up on the next hour or so. And when I get a chance, I will test the wifi to see what quality it provides. But so far I have zero complaints about it.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

AQUASTEVAE wrote:
Actually I haven't had a chance to test the wifi just yet. But I can tell you that it is fast. Just ran a quick speedtest on this browser as I read your post, and it was pulling down 75mbps, when I am only paying for 60mbps. So it works well, and that is without my having the antenna screwed in, and the modem on the other side of the house.
What I can tell you is that I also had just bought the Hero when this board came out, and since this board had everything on board, to free up almost all of my pcie slots, I sent the Hero back, and bought this Extreme board. And I'm so glad I did. There are soooooooooo many advantages that this board has over the Hero. I had over $90 dollars in pcie riser cards on the Hero, that I was able to return and that pretty much paid the difference in these boards for me. Also, with the Hero, the highest I could ever get my 1700 to clock stable was 3900mhz, but with this board, my first try at 4ghz was successful, and it pounded Cinebench. Then I pushed my ram up to 3400mhz (GSkill FlareX 3200), and I am getting 1780's to 1820's all day long on Cinebench, with no crashes!!!! I love this board. Plus I have everything on the board, and all of my pcie slots are open, except the gpu of course. This allows so much more freedom!!! Another great thing is that the new placement for the start/reset/safe/retry buttons are sooooooooooo much more convenient. With the Hero, and all the lower slots taken up, I had a very hard time getting to those buttons. But now they are up top, and much easier to deal with. Along that same line, the QCode readout is also lower, and thus easier to see when booting. My M.2 drives are much cooler also. I had purchased a heatsink for my Samsung 960, but with the built in one on the Extreme, I was able to put that heatsink on my M.2 951, and now both are very cool running and never over heat. The extra fan headers allow me to use a push/pull config with my Kraken X62, with makes life much easier as well. Even though I went through hell with Newegg to get this board, it was all well worth it, even the excrutiating wait. I'm very happy with the mobo upgrade, and the graphic's card upgrade as well. I got rid of my Zotac 1080 Amp Extreme, and instead went with the Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Extreme. A much more powerful graphic's card. So the system is finally all loaded up and running very, very well now. I will get some pics up on the next hour or so. And when I get a chance, I will test the wifi to see what quality it provides. But so far I have zero complaints about it.

Thanks for your feedback so far AQUASTEVAE. It sounds like a great board. Is there any mention in the manual what the maximum speed the wifi built into this board supports? Also, isn't this board bigger than the Hero? I'm not sure if it would fit in my current case. I have a NZXT Phantom 410. Your lucky you were able to return your Hero. I purchased mine on E-bay used so I would have a tougher time because the seller says no returns.

dlbsyst wrote:
Thanks for your feedback so far AQUASTEVAE. It sounds like a great board. Is there any mention in the manual what the maximum speed the wifi built into this board supports? Also, isn't this board bigger than the Hero? I'm not sure if it would fit in my current case. I have a NZXT Phantom 410. Your lucky you were able to return your Hero. I purchased mine on E-bay used so I would have a tougher time because the seller says no returns.

Hey, the manual doesn't state anything more than it is: WiFi 80211 a/b/g/n/ac support 2x2 dual frequency bands 2.4/5GHz Supports MU-MIMO and also
Buetooth 4.2.
And yes, this is an EATX instead of the Hero being just an ATX board. However, unless you have no room on the right edge of your mobo, or a ridge there, it should fit. It takes up less than an inch or two cm's extra. And as you can see in my pics, I have tons of extra room around it. The only other case I ever really seriously considered was the NZXT Phantom 820. but in the end, the Maker 5t was just unbeatable for what it could do. And even the modular design will allow me to get piece upgrades instead of an entire new case. For instance, right now my faceplate has four USB 3.0 ports on it, but I have a 3.1 header I can't use. Well they have already made one with 3 3.0 ports, and a HDMI for VR. Soon, they will come out with a faceplate that has one usb 3.0, one HDMI, one type C 3.1 and a type A 3.1 port. That will be great. Then I can just purchase that for like $30 bucks.
Right now the only problem I have is one of the fans on my Aorus 1080ti Extreme doesn't want to spin. The other two are fine, and they keep it plenty cool. But when you pay almost eight hundred for a vid card, it damn well better be perfect!!!!

AQUASTEVAE wrote:
Hey, the manual doesn't state anything more than it is: WiFi 80211 a/b/g/n/ac support 2x2 dual frequency bands 2.4/5GHz Supports MU-MIMO and also
Buetooth 4.2.
And yes, this is an EATX instead of the Hero being just an ATX board. However, unless you have no room on the right edge of your mobo, or a ridge there, it should fit. It takes up less than an inch or two cm's extra. And as you can see in my pics, I have tons of extra room around it. The only other case I ever really seriously considered was the NZXT Phantom 820. but in the end, the Maker 5t was just unbeatable for what it could do. And even the modular design will allow me to get piece upgrades instead of an entire new case. For instance, right now my faceplate has four USB 3.0 ports on it, but I have a 3.1 header I can't use. Well they have already made one with 3 3.0 ports, and a HDMI for VR. Soon, they will come out with a faceplate that has one usb 3.0, one HDMI, one type C 3.1 and a type A 3.1 port. That will be great. Then I can just purchase that for like $30 bucks.
Right now the only problem I have is one of the fans on my Aorus 1080ti Extreme doesn't want to spin. The other two are fine, and they keep it plenty cool. But when you pay almost eight hundred for a vid card, it damn well better be perfect!!!!

That's a really nice system you have there AQUASTEVAE. And I really like all of the Lights. The one big thing that bothers me about my case is that it has such a small window on the side and you can't see all of my devices and lights. Your case looks really nice and I love the huge open window on the side. I do want to get a new case and I will keep the Maker 5t on my list of potential candidates. I also want to get a nice water cooler for my processor and the NZXT Kraken is definitely at the top of my list.:)

dlbsyst wrote:
That's a really nice system you have there AQUASTEVAE. And I really like all of the Lights. The one big thing that bothers me about my case is that it has such a small window on the side and you can't see all of my devices and lights. Your case looks really nice and I love the huge open window on the side. I do want to get a new case and I will keep the Maker 5t on my list of potential candidates. I also want to get a nice water cooler for my processor and the NZXT Kraken is definitely at the top of my list.:)

Yeah, I can firmly recommend both. This case is excellent. It is ten times better looking in person than the pics make it look. First of all, the accents are NOT bright red! They are more of a darker copper color. But for some reason it photograph's as bright red. But trust me, the darker copperish color looks excellent by comparison to what I thought I was going to have to live with. I even seriously considered painting it before it arrived. But was pleasantly surprised when I received it and it looked completely different than what I had anticipated. The modular design is so excellent. It gives me so many choices now, and for the future. I plan on keeping this case for a very long time to come. All of the panels are also magnetic, so they come off and go back on very easily, and everything else inside is tool-less. And as you can see, I have lots and lots of room inside, even with an EATX board. Yep, I highly recommend it. Plus, I think it's the coolest looking design on the market. The biggest drawback is its price. Other than that, good to go.

AQUASTEVAE wrote:
Buetooth 4.2.

The one fan not spinning may actually be a feature, not a bug 🙂 It may only spin up when the card starts to get really hot and stop completely when not needed to keep the noise level as low as possible. Let Furmark run a while or let 3D Mark loop several times on Extreme to really get some heat building up and see if it spins up then. Of course I could also be completely wrong and the fan connector just didn't get attached during assembly.

anr11 wrote:
The one fan not spinning may actually be a feature, not a bug 🙂 It may only spin up when the card starts to get really hot and stop completely when not needed to keep the noise level as low as possible. Let Furmark run a while or let 3D Mark loop several times on Extreme to really get some heat building up and see if it spins up then. Of course I could also be completely wrong and the fan connector just didn't get attached during assembly.

Yeah, I decided to take a deep breath and take it apart to see what was going on. It was the connector had pulled apart. Funny thing is that it was no easy task to put it back together. But I managed it, and now it all works perfectly well. Thanks for the effort, though. I appreciate it.

Big_Gray
Level 8
Hey Aquastevae,

Nice job! Keep the updates coming. I think I just found my xmas present! 🙂 🙂