cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second monitor on motherboard (third total) not detected

THX1139
Level 7
I have been using two monitors with one connected to my graphics card and another connected to the motherboard via the VGA output. I recently tried to connect a third monitor to the DVI-D port using a DVI-VGA adapter but the monitor is not detected and does not receive a signal from the PC. I am using the most up-to-date drivers from the Chipset and VGA driver sections of the ASUS website. The only relevant BIOS setting is iGPU Multi Monitor which is already set to ENABLED in order to use the second monitor (via the VGA port). I've swapped the monitors around so I know the monitors are both working.

I have something called Intel HD Graphics Control Panel installed and it lists only the single monitor.

Mainboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, board revision 1.04, BIOS v1904
CPU: Intel i7 6700, Stock HSF, Undervolt Offset -0.15 V, LLC 4
RAM: Corsair LPX Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4-3000 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
Graphics: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 w/ 2 GB
Sys Drive: Samsung Evo 750 SSD, 250 GB
Data Drives: OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 60 GB; WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0, ~1 TB; WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0, ~2 TB; WDC WD2002FAEX-00MJRA0, ~2 TB; RAID 0, ~300 GB [Maxtor 6B160MO x 2]
PCI-E SATA expansion: IOCREST SATA III 4-port PCI-e (SI-PEX40064)
PSU: XFX TS 750W (P1-750S-NLB9)
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
DVI-D ports are digital only and do not support VGA adapters. If you have a DVI-I port then you can use an adapter. Keep in mind that VGA is not plug and play so you have to connect it before you power on the computer and you may have to manually trigger display detection if it doesn't see it automatically.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

THX1139
Level 7
It turned out that it was a weird adapter that shouldn't exist - a passive DVI-D to VGA which is not a possible functioning adapter. I guess clueless people like me searched for them so a company in China started making and selling them on AliExpress even though they're useless junk.

xeromist
Ah, that makes sense. Sorry you got taken advantage of. 😕
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…