Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X299-A Bios.0702 has a serious problem.

multippp
Level 7
CPU: Intel i7-7820X (Stock)
M/B: ASUS Prime X299-A(0702)
RAM: G.SKILL 16GB (4 x 4GB) TridentZ Series DDR4 PC4 -25600 3200MHz (Model F4-3200C16Q-16GTZB)
SSD: Lite-ON S200 256GB (MLC)
VGA: Geforce GTX970
PSU: Cougar GX700 GOLD
---------------------------------------------------

I'm using intel i7-7820X and X299-A.
There was a problem after installing this released 0702 BIOS.
Intermittent errors occur on Windows.
This problem occurred when I ran a game 'Archeage' or when I ran 'Photoshop CC 2017'. (Something that happens when I run the program.)
The following information will be displayed and Blue Screen will be output.

Whea_uncorrectable_error (0x00000124)

This problem did not occur at all with the 0503 Version.
38 REPLIES 38

Eleiyas
Level 10
whea_uncorrectable_error windows 10 BSOD Error can occur when any of device drivers are not compatible with the operating system. This 0x00000124 error is also show for Hardware failure like : Hard drive not responding, your RAM memory not responding or your main board is not working correctly.

I believe this MB does have a flashback feature, which you should be able to use to get back to the better BIOS (for you)

Eleiyas wrote:
I believe this MB does have a flashback feature, which you should be able to use to get back to the better BIOS (for you)

I'm using the 0503 version now. Later versions of 0702 hope to fix this problem.

Raja
Level 13
In your situation, the Whea uncorrectable error is possibly being caused by memory instability. There were a few memory changes between these builds to help the weaker kits. It's always wise to learn how to tune some of the memory related parameters so that you can dial stuff like this out. A fix for one type of situation can upset the balance for someone else.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
In your situation, the Whea uncorrectable error is possibly being caused by memory instability. There were a few memory changes between these builds to help the weaker kits. It's always wise to learn how to tune some of the memory related parameters so that you can dial stuff like this out. A fix for one type of situation can upset the balance for someone else.

I tested it with memtest86, but no errors were found.66891

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Memtest is pretty much useless with today's platforms. Better testing would be employing HCI or GSAT to weed out memory issues. I see no problems using Photoshop with 0702 so memory instability is a likely candidate. Test with all default settings including memory speed (no XMP).

Praz wrote:
Hello

Memtest is pretty much useless with today's platforms. Better testing would be employing HCI or GSAT to weed out memory issues. I see no problems using Photoshop with 0702 so memory instability is a likely candidate. Test with all default settings including memory speed (no XMP).

Hello.

Thank you for your advice.
First of all, I did not have any problems with the 0503 version, so I will continue to use the 0503 version.

And I do not know if this is what ASUS intended, but in version 0702, AVX offset was not applied in the default state. At 0503, Prime95 was running at 3.7GHz, but 0702 was at 4.0GHz.

multippp wrote:
Hello.

Thank you for your advice.
First of all, I did not have any problems with the 0503 version, so I will continue to use the 0503 version.

And I do not know if this is what ASUS intended, but in version 0702, AVX offset was not applied in the default state. At 0503, Prime95 was running at 3.7GHz, but 0702 was at 4.0GHz.

The settings are there for one to adjust as required for desired operation. In your case, memory is the likely issue, so it's worth learning how to tune it or you'll always be in a situation where some builds dont work well for you.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The settings are there for one to adjust as required for desired operation. In your case, memory is the likely issue, so it's worth learning how to tune it or you'll always be in a situation where some builds dont work well for you.

I was going to update bios just to be on the lastest but maybe I shouldn't after reading this? I'm still on the original 0219.

Superbowl
Level 7
Hi Everyone.

I have very similar equipment as the OP, and I had the exact same problem with 702. I have the i7-7820X and X299-A and 32 GB Kingston Predator HyperX DDR4- 3000 (4x8GB). I had no problems with BIOS 503. I upgraded to 702, and had constant Whea_uncorrectable_error (0x00000124) that led to the blue screen of death in Windows 10. I was lucky enough to flash back to 503, and everything is very stable once again. I think since "improved Kingston DRAM compatibility issue on intel X-series" was listed on 503 notes that it is definitely a RAM problem most likely for Kingston RAM in 702. I most likely will just stick with 503. It works fine. 702 was a mess for me.