cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Asus z270i Strix caught on Fire today.

Malkan
Level 7
My z270i Strix caught on fire today.

Story; My PC died late last night, abrupt shutdown and would not start again, it was a clicking noise from my PSU Corsair AX1200i when i tried to start it again, i did not think much else of it and just assumed my psu had died, went to the store this morning to buy a replacement psu RM850x until i get a new 1200i back from warranty.
Replaced the psu when i got back home, attempted to start my pc at that point there was flames and smoke coming from behind the Strix logo heatsink, a few capacitors has exploded or caught on fire. The PC has been running fine for the past few months (Apart from the memory issues i had when i got this board which is in my other thread).

So i assume the board is really dead now and i will be replacing it on warranty. My question is; How can this happen? Just bad luck or bad quality? The CPU/GPU has never been overclocked. 7700k running stock. Can my other components be damaged now as well? I have no other motherboard to test with so i have to wait until i get a new one. :mad:
5 REPLIES 5

haihane
Level 13
RMA it and see what ASUS says.
take pictures before sending it.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
oh man! .
Learn, Play Enjoy!

xeromist
Most likely bad luck. I haven't heard of anyone else reporting fires.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Bill
Level 7
Hello Malkan
I'm sorry for the trouble caused
I hope that no one was hurt or any other property was damaged
Can you PM me your contact information and unit SN number?
I'll have our local service team contact you ASAP, thank you

The same happened to me last night.. something underneath the strix logo heatsink started sparking and smoking. Been using the mobo for 11 months 😞