cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will a capacitor not stamped down cause me issues ?

Cory29
Level 7
This is my second board first one was rma because the box cut into the IO shield

my new board has a capacitor (im assuming its a capacitor) that isn't seated correctly by the ram

there is also a few pins at the bottom for jumpers that were soldered at different angles

should I rma for the capacitor idk if its something that would cause an issue when i try to overclock my ram or if i should see an error or not already

- so far it boots

9 REPLIES 9

Korth
Level 14
I'd run exhaustive memory burn-in/stress tests. Especially if memory is faster than JEDEC and/or CPU is overclocked.

And I don't know ASUS policy in detail, but I would personally expect RMA/warranty to cover this sort of motherboard defect (component not properly soldered on board, doh).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

xeromist
If it's a through-hole soldered component then you should be able to see if there is a bead of solder on the back of the board at that point. If it's completely soldered then it doesn't matter if it's not completely flush. As long as there is a good connection it will work.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I can't see the back too well its covered by the back-plate i see the 2 pins sticking through

I'm having issues trying to get the ram to run at any speed past 2133 (im guessing its unrelated)

the lighting also doesn't work after i updated all the drivers and software so im guessing its a bug

xeromist
Yeah, you may want to start a new thread regarding your memory speed. It's going to depend a lot on the specific memory kit you bought and how many sticks you are trying to run as some work better than others. It's also possible that you have some flawed memory or a weak memory controller. You might be able to go higher with some manual tweaking.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I think I'll wait for new bois update

I've been playing with the beta today and its able to hit the correct speed off the bat, but windows is bluescreening every 15min to an hour with a random issue so ill roll back the lights still don't work (the error is always different in windows )

thanks everyone

Raja
Level 13
1) make sure you update the aura/oled firmware. It is linked in the uefi sticky thread within this sub-forum.

2) Try using a 2T command rate for your memory.

gupsterg
Level 13
Cory29 wrote:
This is my second board first one was rma because the box cut into the IO shield

my new board has a capacitor (im assuming its a capacitor) that isn't seated correctly by the ram

there is also a few pins at the bottom for jumpers that were soldered at different angles

should I rma for the capacitor idk if its something that would cause an issue when i try to overclock my ram or if i should see an error or not already

- so far it boots

Only my take.

Personally I would RMA board. At the price of what these boards are nothing but perfect 'out of box' would do for me. Even on a lower priced board it would be unacceptable to me.

Regardless of board working I view things like this on a resale value angle. Whenever I view an item on 2nd hand market that I maybe interested in, I always check to see if components look right. How I see it is I'm less likely to have something turn up which causes me issues.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

JustinThyme
Level 13
Does it work? Y/N
Y......you are good to go
N......RMA

Proper seating of capacitors or other components means the leads, which are horrendously long before trimmed, are through the board and soldered on the back side. The rest is purely aesthetic. When you RMA anything its up to the manufacturer of whether or not you get a new board. 99% of the time that's a resounding no and depending on the manufacturer you may get a refurb out of the pool sent to you as a replacement that's even worse looking with your board added to a repair cue or they may put you directly in a repair cue that takes a lot longer for turn around and no guarantees on aesthetics when you get it back.

First line of defense on anything that comes out of a box damaged it return it to the point of sale and get another.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I returned it back to newegg. It would wiggle like a loose tooth and I could see black stuff on the pins at the base. If only it didn't take newegg 8-11 days to create a replacement guess I learned the hardway