cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me OC please. i7 3930k

-javier-
Level 7
i would like to get my computer to 5.0ghz stable i have a 3930k i7 with the asus rampage iv
i am currently using the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - Easy Overclock Guide but that wont help me keep it stable
i was able to put it at 5.0ghz with 1.53v but it crash 10 min or so of playing bf3. can someone help a noob? what else should i change>?
5 REPLIES 5

Spoony
Level 7
did you not update the bios and then use the profiles that are preset to extreme high or low voltage ?

4.995Ghz which is pretty much 5Ghz is one of the setings and it will adjust things for you.

Thomas
Level 10
Hi,

It sounds like you are somewhat new to overclocking so I would first of all suggest reading up on the following guide to help make you more familiar with the different option found within the BIOS.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5836-ASUS-Rampage-IV-Extreme-Easy-Overclock-Guide

Going for 5Ghz straight away might not be the best of ideas if you are still learning, I would advise trying 4.6Ghz and then working your way up from there if possible.

What cooler are you using? Socket 2011 CPU's generate a LOT of heat when overclocked so you might have a cooling bottleneck.
Thomas Jenner
Asus UK

abb1
Level 8
First off, you have to make sure that you have good cooling! Second thing is that the Sandy Bridge /E dies cannot be overclocked by BLCK frequency but rather by multiplier which would not have much noticeability from 4.6 ghz -5.0 ghz in real life. The overclock speed was always more noticeable using BLCK frequency than multiplier. I got mine up to 4.54 ghz using 1.38v. It booted and ran most programs until I ran a game and then I got the BSOD. I now have it OC at 4.3 ghz rock stable. 5.0 ghz may be unrealistic for this processor depending on the cooling that you have

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello my friend the guide that was posted above is a very good place to start.

Once you have worked through the guide and tried a few settings we can see how it goes.

Just so all the others know Javier has a pretty good custom water cooled system so I think his cooling will be ok. Not to say you should not keep an eye on your temps at all times my friend.

Cheers for now.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

hi everyone, my cutom watercooling consist of a 3x120mm Radiator ,Swiftech MCP655 Watercooling Pump and a Heatkiller 3.0 cpu block, also there is plenty of airflow in my case, i even some what place a fan over the vrm for better vrm air flow.

i forgot to add my Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 400 i am also running a Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200watt psu if that helps, and corsair 120gb ssd and SLI gtx580 with corsair vengeance 16GB 1866mhz.