cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning - check your case type before buying motherboards with bluetooth

justforgroups
Level 9
Hi,
Something to be aware of if, like me, this never even crossed your mind during a build: bluetooth signals from motherboards like the Maximus IX Code cannot penetrate steel PC cases.

I confirmed this by first emailing the manufacturer of my BeQuiet! DarkBase case who confirmed the case's material. Next I opened the case and my earphones connected immediately to the Maximus IX Code motherboard's built-in bluetooth signal. Replacing the case disconnected the earphones. I repeated this 2 or 3 times with the same result. The earphones were no more than a foot away from the motherboard.

There is no information anywhere that I could find which mentions bluetooth signal strength through case material.

Just something else for builders to keep in mind if they intend on using a motherboard's built-in bluetooth. Hope it helps!
3 REPLIES 3

JustinThyme
Level 13
Did you connect the antennas on the back plate?
Most MOBOs that come with WiFi/BT use a single device for both and they require an antenna to work as designed.
Sometimes you can get a signal if you are right on top of it with your wireless/BT device but don't expect stellar performance and do expect frequent drop outs and issues like not working through a metal enclosure like all other RF signals.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Chino
Level 15

justforgroups
Level 9
JustinThyme/Chino,
Thank-you! I thought that device was for router connectivity.
I connected the antenna and the bluetooth signal from the motherboard is now coming through perfectly.

Any day you learn something new is a good day!

Thanks again.