cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with splitting audio devices on SupremeFX on Maximus IX Formula

Toxic_Waste
Level 7
Hi all,

so I recently build myself a new rig with a rog motherboard, the Asus Maximus IX Formula. Since I use my computer a lot for games, I have both a speaker set and a sennheiser headset connected to my rig, so I can use the speakers for game audio while I use my sennheiser for communication. On my previous computer, it was very easy to do this, I could just split the audiostreams for devices, register the proper device on teamspeak for example and done.

On my new motherboard however, this does not seem to work. Or to be more precise, it works the first time, and after I reboot, it is gone. I have tried this with the latest drivers, and an older WHQL version, I installed 6.0.1.8158, and I also tried it with 6.0.1.7997, but the problems are identical.

I set up my speakers, they work fine, I add the headset, I select the corresponding jacks to the correct devices. I can toggle between Windows 10's audio devices and there is no issue. However, the moment I reboot, the SupremeFX seems to do something wrong,because from that moment, the sound is both in my headphones and on my speakers, and when I switch to the other device in windows settings (being my headphones), I hear nothing. Running the 'test' on the devices in windows audio results in the test sounds on my speakers, and hearing nothing for the headset..

I am at a loss here guys, did I miss a critical thing, or is the realtek hd audio manager really that buggy that I cannot seperate my headset and speakers? Another thing is that when I go in teamspeak and try to select any after a reboot, it just fails to play the sound and says 'Error opening playback device: device not registered/known

Anyone that can help me with this one?
14 REPLIES 14

Nate152
Hi Toxic Waste

Welcome to the ROG forum !

Have you tried using the device routing feature in Sonic Studio 3 ? This should let you use your headphones, speakers and TV (with an HDMI cable) all at the same time.

Hi Nate,

thanks for the quick reply! I have tried playing around with Sonic studio to see if it fixes the problem. However it seems to face the same issue, if I leave it on default, no issue but playback on both devices, if I used device routing and point it to the Realtek HD Audio 2nd output, there is just nothing to be heard in my headphones.

It really seems that it works ok just after install, but after a reboot, I suspect that the devices are not properly registered in windows 10, but that seems like a big bug and not something I would just run into alone?

Nate152
All right

I may not be much help as I'm just using a headset and don't use device routing.

My headphones actually read as speakers, since you have speakers and headphones hooked up do you get any other options than what I'm seeing ?

No, the device manager is the same, I just see the sennheiser as a second device, but whenever I route anything toward it, no sound is to be heard, whatever I send to the other one, sound is heard on both

I made a couple of screenshots to show, maybe I misconfigured something but at this point I really suspect the drivers are faulty, especially because it works the first time after install:

Nate152
Thank you

I see your device routing is switched off, have you tried turning it on ?

Then beside each application you should get the option to choose which audio device you want to use.

Yep, I have tried that, the thing is, when I turn it on and for example, put chrome on it, I used youtube to generate some sound, it will play on both devices, and when I switch to the other one, I dont hear a thing, so I think the problem is somewhere else.. same thing in teamspeak for example

Today I tried to reinstall the drivers, maybe to see if it would help, but the same result. If I dont reboot my computer, I can perfectly switch between the sound on my headphone or my speakers. However my teamspeak couldn't use the channels.

After reboot, it doesnt work on windows anymore.

Is this motherboard just doomed to use 2 different audio streams?

I have the same problem. There is a workaround that doesn't require reinstalling the drivers. Every time you reboot, go into the SupremeFX manager and recombine the front and back interfaces and check the box to mute the rear sound when something is plugged into the front. Hit OK on the screen, then go back in and change it back to have separate interfaces.

Hopefully whoever is doing the driver development can figure out why the settings aren't persisting through reboot. I went ahead and ordered a little USB sound card to plug in the front of the case for now so I won't have to hassle with it (cheap ones are 5-10 bucks). But I'd much rather use the case ports and tie up one less USB.

johnaldmcgee wrote:
I have the same problem. There is a workaround that doesn't require reinstalling the drivers. Every time you reboot, go into the SupremeFX manager and recombine the front and back interfaces and check the box to mute the rear sound when something is plugged into the front. Hit OK on the screen, then go back in and change it back to have separate interfaces.

Hopefully whoever is doing the driver development can figure out why the settings aren't persisting through reboot. I went ahead and ordered a little USB sound card to plug in the front of the case for now so I won't have to hassle with it (cheap ones are 5-10 bucks). But I'd much rather use the case ports and tie up one less USB.

'Good' to know I am not the only one plagued by it. I will try the workaround you gave me, but the problem is, it never seems to work properly with Teamspeak, so the registration of the 2 audio devices is really bugged. but I will give it a try tonight at home