cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does 144hz vs 60hz Take Away From GPU Performance & Strain?

SlackROG
Level 10
As the title is asking, does a 144hz rate monitor, when you are pushing the higher frame rates in a game, take away from GPU performance, so that if i was gaming instead on 60hz, I could dedicate more gpu processing power into more pixels and/or FSAA, etc..?

Someone told me that as you get older nausea and eye strain can occur in these higher refresh rates...

Hmm some things I've never thought/considered before...

Something else I forgot to ask, if I'm not concerned about higher frames, I mainly game RPG, but I do like FPS, does gaming look better on an IPS?
19 REPLIES 19

Nate152
Hi SlackROG

Both 1440p at 144Hz and 4k at 60Hz will use the gpu heavily if not max it out all the way. If you're on a 1440p 60Hz monitor then you can likely use AA and still keep at 60FPS, this is of course if you have a high end gpu such as a 1080 or 1080 Ti and how much AA you use. Games themselves play a big role in performance as some games are more demanding than others.

IPS panels have better color accuracy and viewing angles than TN panels but TN panels are generally faster with a 1ms response time. I would take an IPS monitor over a TN monitor because of the better picture.

Korth
Level 14
Eye strain (along with nausea, dizziness, vertigo, headaches, neck/back aches, and other nonspecific symptoms) is more of a problem at lower refresh rates, less of a problem at higher ones. It's more common with older people because more older people have (corrected or uncorrected) eye/vision problems.

https://www.thoughtco.com/symptoms-of-eye-strain-1206480
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_strain

60Hz flicker is noticeable (or almost noticeable) to most people. 75Hz and 85Hz monitors were originally marketed as the "cure" for eye strain. Today's 120Hz, 144Hz, and 165Hz monitors are marketed with emphasis on (fps) motion and performance.

The best (and only) real cure for eye strain is to rest your eyes now and then. Look away from the screen and focus on distant objects a few times each hour. Take a short break and do something else (away from the screen) every couple hours.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

SlackROG
Level 10
I forgot to mention I'm going to game 1080p, so I'm assuming by what you said Nate152, that it doesn't matter between 144hz or 60hz, when it comes to GPU performance?

I've been looking at this LG 24MP88HV-S, but it's 60hz, not sure if LG has done anything to it in regards to flicker/eye strain;
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-24MP88HV-S-led-monitor

Then I'd been thinking about the BenQ ZOWIE XL2430, which seems to have a lot of features for flicker and bluelight, but of course it's TN...

Hmm

Thanks Nate152 and Korth

Hello,

A couple of key points have been missed so first consider, what FPS is.
When playing a game suppose your GFX card can maintain 200fps.

If you were to use a 60Hz monitor, would you see and feel the 200fps?
- No, your FPS to an extent is wasted.

If you were to use a 144Hz monitor, would you see and feel the 200fps?
- No, your FPS to a smaller extent is wasted.

Smaller as your monitor will have the ability to show you at least 144fps, Hz and fps are linked.
- So by using a 144Hz monitor you get smoother game play.

If you choose to use Vsync with a 144Hz monitor you get to cap the fps to 144.
If you choose to use Vsync with a 60Hz monitor you get to cap the fps to 60.
So go for a higher Hz monitor if you want a smoother gaming experience.

Next point, TN monitors like the BenQ have a lower response time than IPS.
Gaming, go for for TN.

The eye strain you see on flat screens is not quite related to the Hz as it was on the older CRT monitors.
- Eye strain is caused by the backlight, older flat screens used a fluorescent tube = 50Hz/60Hz flickering light.
- Now most use LED back lighting but most (times are changing) are using a method which causes the light to flicker, PWM. (pulsing voltage)

- Eye strain free LED monitors, try to apply a fixed steady voltage to the LED backlight. (no flicker)
And you also have some marketing on blue light vs natural light.

So all in all, the BenQ monitor is a better one.

To answer your question on GFX performance, 60Hz vs 144Hz.
No and it depends on the game / your GFX options.

If a game is running 200fps, you have vsync off, your GFX card is still doing 200fps.
- 60Hz monitor, you will only see 60fps with 140fps being invisible.
- 144Hz monitor, you will only see 144fps with 56fps being invisible.
Both setups, GFX card is doing the same work.

Only if you enable Vsync there will be a physical cap to fps.
- 60Hz monitor, Vsync enabled = GFX card renders 60fps.
- 144Hz monitor, Vsync enabled = GFX card renders 144fps.

🙂

SlackROG
Level 10
I thought based on the HZ, this is to the level of FPS you can go in the game?

60hz = 60fps
144hz = 144fps

Yes, no?

I don't understand what you meant by this?

Smaller as your monitor will have the ability to show you at least 144fps, Hz and fps are linked.
- So by using a 144Hz monitor you get smoother game play.

Higher hertz I understand everyone says for smoother game play, but I always thought that was more for fast action gaming, not an RPG.

I certainly want performance, but I don't want the GPU to take a hit and loose performance because of a higher refresh rate, and I really love color quality, a nice looking game.

I tend to play more RPG, like Oblivion and Skyrim, but since I'm going to build a new gaming box, I plan to play some FPS, so I've been really torn between image quality vs response time and hz/fps...

The LG 24MP88HV-S is also not an expensive IPS panel, so I wonder if it will be more trouble, ghosting, backlight bleed, and even color quality that isn't much better.

Ahh if I could only see a BenQ ZOWIE XL2430 up close and see what it really looked like, it would certainly make this decision easier...

Hmm

SlackROG wrote:
I thought based on the HZ, this is to the level of FPS you can go in the game?

60hz = 60fps
144hz = 144fps

Yes, no?

60Hz = what you will physically see, what the monitor is able to draw.
144Hz = same, what the monitor is able to draw.

Hz does not force or cause a game to render at the same speed.
so you can have 300fps by the cpu/gpu and use a 60Hz monitor.
You will still get the gpu working hard.

Only if you cap the fps or the game has a limit it will cause the gpu to do less work.
The monitor does not change this outcome unless you enable the vsync option.

Vsync causes the gpu to render at the refresh rate.
So if this were enabled, then yes 60Hz = 60fps or 144Hz = 144fps.

Check the games you are playing, do you have the vsync option enabled?
What fps are the games running if the vsync option is disabled?
Anything higher than 60, go for 144Hz.
If you only want 60fps, go tor 60Hz.

What is the concern over gpu workload?
Yes if the game has an uncapped fps limit, your gpu will try to render as much as possible regardless of the monitor being used. Unless you enable the vsync option, which causes input lag.

Korth
Level 14
@SlackROG -

1Hz = 1 cycle per second, as the horizontal refresh spec on monitors it means how often the panel "draws" the entire screen each second.
1fps = 1 frame per second, as the measure of GPU performance

A 60Hz monitor can only display up to 60fps, even when the GPU outputs >60fps.
A 60Hz monitor doesn't equal 60fps when the GPU can only output <60fps.
A 144Hz monitor is no better than a 60Hz monitor when the GPU can only output <60fps.

But if your GPU can output >60fps (up to 120Hz/144Hz/165Hz) then a 120Hz/144Hz/165Hz monitor will be able to properly display ("draw") each discrete frame and the overall experience will appear smoother than it would on a 60Hz monitor.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
@SlackROG -

1Hz = 1 cycle per second, as the horizontal refresh spec on monitors it means how often the panel "draws" the entire screen each second.
1fps = 1 frame per second, as the measure of GPU performance

A 60Hz monitor can only display up to 60fps, even when the GPU outputs >60fps.
A 60Hz monitor doesn't equal 60fps when the GPU can only output <60fps.
A 144Hz monitor is no better than a 60Hz monitor when the GPU can only output <60fps.

But if your GPU can output >60fps (up to 120Hz/144Hz/165Hz) then a 120Hz/144Hz/165Hz monitor will be able to properly display ("draw") each discrete frame and the overall experience will appear smoother than it would on a 60Hz monitor.

Ok...

It's my understanding that anything over 60fps, the higher you go, the more demanding it is on the gpu?

Thanks

SlackROG
Level 10
Ok I'm starting to get the idea...

I guess I thought a 60hz monitor meant you could only go up to 60fps. I guess the games I was playing only went up to 60fps is the problem.

So a 60hz monitor, playing a game that hasn't capped the fps, on a gtx 1060 1080p as example, the game play might be 120fps...

Ok NOW, I'm trying to figure out if I really need the faster refresh rate, if I'm really going to see any difference. Some people say they see nothing over 60hz, some swear by faster refresh rates...

I just saw this on an article;

The other problem with high refresh, of course, is the load it puts on your graphics subsystem. Double the refresh means double the frame rate and double the work load, which is a big ask even at 1080p, let alone higher resolutions. Even with a seriously zippy GPU, achieving a consistent 120fps at maximum detail is a huge amount of rendering. Suddenly, you may have to choose between slick 120Hz refresh and full graphics detail.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/12/best-120hz-monitor-gaming/

thanks