cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus VIII Formula and Ethernet port teaming - Windows 10

blademccoy
Level 7
Hello

I want to improve my Ethernet speed by using LACP (IEEE 802.3ad) protocol, by teaming with another Ethernet adapter.

Currently i have only one Ethernet card on-board my Asus Maximus VIII Formula, listed as Intel I219-V under Windows Control Panel.

Intel tech support helped me to find list of supported devices on my Asus Maximus VIII Formula - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_VIII_FORMULA/M8F_Device_QVL.PDF - and it says that only expi9400pt or E1G42ET are supported.

These devices supported by Maximus VIII Formula are not listed as 'Full-Support' in the table - https://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-035770.htm

I want to buy another adapter like Intel I210-T1 and add it to PCI-E slot, and then team it with built-in on-board adapter to achieve 2gbps link between my PC and switch.

I've read that there are problems with port-teaming under Windows 10, but Intel overcome this problem in their update, but they can guarantee working team options on adapters listed in the table linked above (I210-T1 is listed as 'full support' and the NICs supported by my MB aren't).

I have two options on my mind to solve this problem:
1) buy another adapter for PCI-E with one ethernet port (like Intel I210-T1), which costs about 40$, and team it with built-in adapter - but i don't know if they'll work together and if it's possible to team them under Windows 10 (Intel Support doesn't know either)
2) buy two-port adapter for PCI-E (like Intel I210-T2) which has full-support for drivers under windows 10 - but it costs at least 150$

I'd rather go for the first solution, but i'm not sure if any of them will work.

I'd be greatful if you would be able to help me with these questions:
1) Will my Maximus VIII Formula support the Intel I210-T1 or T2 adapter?
2) What would be the best option to team ethernet connections under Windows 10 - what devices should I buy?

Did anyone had similar problem as mine?

Thank you for your Help
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
I'm afraid I've never tried it but please do post your results as I'll be interested to read how it goes.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I'm awaiting for the response from Asus Support - they've passed my question to the central - as soon as they'll reply i'll post more info.
If they won't know either - I think I'll buy the Intel I210-T1 adapter and try to pair it with I219-V which is on-board - hope they'll work together 😉

I finally didn't get a response from Asus, so i decided to do it my way

1) I bought Intel I210-T1 ethernet adapter, and Cisco SG 200-08 switch which supports 802.3ad.
2) I've installed the Intel Network Adapter Driver for Windows 10, and set up a 802.3ad based team in adapter settings - I've encountered few errors with blue screen while doing this, but i finally managed to set up the team.
3) I also set-up LACP (802.3ad) on Cisco switch and chosen two ports which were connected to I210-T1 and I219-V.
4) My router now can see my PC with single IP addres which is set as static address for I219-V, and i have a network connection with 2.0Gbps speed in ethernet adapter status under Windows 10
5) I had some trouble with finding other devices in my network (Avast Firewall messed up discovery, but i fixed it)
6) When i transfer files to two different devices from my PC i can get around 200MB/s of total transfer
7) When i transfer files from one device (QNAP NAS with 2Gbps LACP 802.3ad), to my PC - i can only get around 110 MB/s, but the transfer rate is more stable, and it doesn't slow down (on single 1Gbps ethernet adapter, with TP-Link unmanaged switch my transfer speed varied from 60 to 90 MB/s)

I'm thinking if it's possible to get 200MB/s while transfering files from QNAP to my PC... but i'm not sure how to do this...
The main advantage is that i can transfer files from my PC to QNAP or from QNAP to PC without slowing down the intenet transfer rate (when i had a single adapter, and it reached it's capacity while transfering large files between my PC and QNAP, my internet speed was slowing down, because the link was mostly populated by QNAP<=>PC packets)

Generally... i took a risk, I chose the cheaper option with adding single-NIC adapter, and i've managed to team it with my built-in on-board NIC

xeromist
L1 techs has a video on nic teaming, if it helps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rFL8PGkmMU
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…