cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9960's CPU temperature seems way off

pisymbol
Level 7
At idle, my CPU temperature was round 30-31C. I flashed 9960 and now it is reporting it is 57C! Huh?

EDIT: Reverting back to 9910 fixes it.
5 REPLIES 5

Ljugtomten
Level 9
pisymbol wrote:
At idle, my CPU temperature was round 30-31C. I flashed 9960 and now it is reporting it is 57C! Huh?

EDIT: Reverting back to 9910 fixes it.

Yes, as I wrote in the sticky for UEFI updates it seems like the offset with 27 degrees celcius is back..
I'd also like to have the true temperature back, as the wrong temperature is also displayed on the display on the motherboard.

Mikan02
Level 7
I mentioned this in main thread. I think it shows CPU package, you can still see CPU diode in some monitor software like AIDA64.
CPU package can easily get very hot and pass limit before any core does, since there is so many.
Also I do not think package have offset only diode, but I might be wrong thou I been trying to keep package below limit without offset.

One reason for change is cause package temps just as important as diode, even more if it does not have offset.
Another reason could be compatibility, but my guess is on first.
There are actually two package temps I think, since it is two CPU in one. Not all monitor software show both for some reason.

I tried to install LiveDash software again, cause I wanted to see if I it was possible to change to several sensors again.
First time I tried it I had it swap between CPU temp, voltage and speed.
For some reason software crashes on launch now, I do not know if it is cause firmware change or something else.
Hopefully Asus have a look at it when possible. 🙂

Mikan02 wrote:
I mentioned this in main thread. I think it shows CPU package, you can still see CPU diode in some monitor software like AIDA64.
CPU package can easily get very hot and pass limit before any core does, since there is so many.
Also I do not think package have offset only diode, but I might be wrong thou I been trying to keep package below limit without offset.

One reason for change is cause package temps just as important as diode, even more if it does not have offset.
Another reason could be compatibility, but my guess is on first.
There are actually two package temps I think, since it is two CPU in one. Not all monitor software show both for some reason.

I tried to install LiveDash software again, cause I wanted to see if I it was possible to change to several sensors again.
First time I tried it I had it swap between CPU temp, voltage and speed.
For some reason software crashes on launch now, I do not know if it is cause firmware change or something else.
Hopefully Asus have a look at it when possible. 🙂

I would prefer the highest temperature of the two cores reported. What temperatures are you getting with 9960? ~57C?

Mikan02
Level 7
Sorry late answer 😆
Been trying to experiment with this since I have SLI and it makes CPU package slightly hotter when enabled.
I only have a H115i but I can drop ambient in room a lot if wanted with a air conditioner when testing limits.
But I still need to actively clock CPU depended on what I am going to do. 😛

At normal ambient @3.9-4.0 GHz If I leave "core performance boost" on it is around 57-58 idle with SLI on with danger passing 68 if load last to long.

At the moment I am testing at normal ambient if @3.9-4.0 GHz is stable enough with same settings if I turn "core performance boost" off.
Now idle is 50C, ran GR Wildlands benchmark several times in a row with V-sync off. The score screen at end fades into heavy depth of field so at extra load at end.
Cause V-sync was off both my GPU´s was close to 80C, but package never passed 62-63C. Even thou room was starting to get really hot too.
I did not use the air conditioner. I also noticed AIO was hotter in general (actually 9C hotter and CPU package still it did not pass 62-63C).

I guess "core performance boost" changes "CPU & SOC Load-Line Calibration" and some other settings to avoid vdroop and so on.
I have been using it for the high clocks/single GPU cause I am uncertain what LLC setting is good for a AMD CPU like the TR 1950X.
All other settings in External Digi + Power Control is sorted I think, thou must admit I made them similar to Intel.
My first AMD so I am still learning. 😮

It does not really reduce max temp at max load and might even spike more, but it does reduce temps lots at lower loads
and that is the idea I had I guess.^^

If you leave all settings at auto and turn off "core performance boost" it resets CPU to a stock setting
or at least similar to the Creator Mode speed intended for the CPU that is in AMD Ryzen Master.

Excellent. Thanks for that.

It seems the Noctua does a great job of cooling as my numbers are in line with yours (I don't OC though).