cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Core Fried my RGB Strips

syke76
Level 7
Hello all,

It's my first post here, and I have some concerns on my MB.

I just purchased and build a system around the Maximus IX Core. Everything seems to be working perfectly fine with the exception of a couple of issues.

My RGB strips. I had fried 3 RGB strips when I tried to plug them into the RGB headers (on each of them) on the MB. They became so hot, if I had left them on, I am pretty sure they will be a fire hazard.

Just before we put the blame on the RGB strips. I had tested them on my NZXT Hue+, and they were working just fine moments before I had them connected on the MB.

Obviously I am pissed, a pair of RGB strips cost 20 USD. 3 strips means 30 USD.

But what I am more concerned is the health of the MB. Does that mean there might be serious underlying issues with it? I do have a habit of leaving my PC turned on overnight. I really do not want to wake up to a fire situation or having more components currently attached on my MB suffering the same fate.

What do I do?
7 REPLIES 7

KuraiShidosha
Level 10
When you plugged them in, did they light up properly with the right colors?

I plugged 2 them in before I booted up the PC, there wasn't any light emitted from the strips.
The 3rd one in my second try, there was light. But it went bonkers, as in the lights were strobing. Then it died.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
what strips did you get? if you can send me the link to check
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Hi Itzycharles,

They are the NZXT ones. Thanks for your help.
https://www.nzxt.com/products/hue-plus-extension-kit

syke76 wrote:
Hi Itzycharles,

They are the NZXT ones. Thanks for your help.
https://www.nzxt.com/products/hue-plus-extension-kit

did you connect those direct to the board???? or use the hue+ box? IF you use those direct, malo syke! malo. those use ultra super low current to work. and the pin out is to different. so take those out, like NOW. the ports that the board use a 12volts , to use 5050 leds and a very specific order pin out. and on the manual is very mark the info. I hope the ports are ok.. DO NOT test those led again. toast it to the trash. get these are very cheap and you can use it also on you place

I use half on the board and the others behind my monitor using the including 120v box. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CQR72VE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Learn, Play Enjoy!

pndiode
Level 11
Remove those LED strips from the RGB header immediately!!! I hope they still work.

Those LED strips are rated at 5 volts (+5v/out/GND/FD). The RGB headers on the motherboard are rated at 12 volts.

Owners Manual: The RGB header supports 5050 RGB multi-color LED strips (12V/G/R/B = 12 Volts/Green/Red/Blue), with a maximum power rating of 2A (12V), and no longer than 2m.

The length of those LED strips are within specifications, but voltage was beyond limits of those LED strips. So, +5v=12v, out=Green, GND=Red, and FD=Blue.

Those LED strips are not a match for the RGB header on the motherboard.

A friend of mine by accident proved a house fan rated at 120 volts plugged into 240 volts will produce category 5 hurricane/typhoon force winds for approximately 5 seconds. Well that was a nice 5 second breeze and smoke followed.

pndiode wrote:
Remove those LED strips from the RGB header immediately!!! I hope they still work.

Those LED strips are rated at 5 volts (+5v/out/GND/FD). The RGB headers on the motherboard are rated at 12 volts.

Owners Manual: The RGB header supports 5050 RGB multi-color LED strips (12V/G/R/B = 12 Volts/Green/Red/Blue), with a maximum power rating of 2A (12V), and no longer than 2m.

The length of those LED strips are within specifications, but voltage was beyond limits of those LED strips. So, +5v=12v, out=Green, GND=Red, and FD=Blue.

Those LED strips are not a match for the RGB header on the motherboard.

A friend of mine by accident proved a house fan rated at 120 volts plugged into 240 volts will produce category 5 hurricane/typhoon force winds for approximately 5 seconds. Well that was a nice 5 second breeze and smoke followed.

Thanks! I it wasn't so clearly stated on the LEDS they are 5V. My mistake for not looking further into the NZXT specs before plugging them into the RGB headers.
At least I now know there is no issue with the MB. I would rather fry a couple of LED strips then deal with a MB issue to be honest.

I am glad I can now sleep with a peaceful mind.

Thanks for everyone's help!