cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3200Mhz on Zenith Extreme with 64GB All DIMMs populated?

Enad1
Level 7
Hello everyone. As the title states, I'm trying to get a minimum of 3200Mhz on my Zenith Extreme with 64GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB. All the DIMMs are populated. These kits are rated for 3600Mhz but I'd settle with 3200.

I've tried your basic manual timings and voltage and setting frequency to 3200 but that alone didn't work.
I'm new to TR and Ryzen as a whole, I've used Ryzen a few times and struggled getting those systems to 3200Mhz, so I ask you guys...what are some tips and tricks to do so I can at least get 3200Mhz out of this system?

Any help would be much appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6

Mikan02
Level 7
Hi.
Is this one 64GB kit or two 32GB kits? Asking cause you wrote kits and two kits can be more difficult to get stable even at rated speeds.
If two high speed kits matches and start without issues you are usually just lucky.

Have you tried to just enable D.O.C.P without any adjustments to speed, timings or voltage? 🙂

I had it working with DOCP settings - but windows would throw "random" errors and time out (haven't had time to trouble shoot) I have read there are settings in windows to change for thread ripper but I haven't played with them yet I just have a fresh install on my system

8x8
-G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) F4-3200C16D

Mikan02 wrote:
Hi.
Is this one 64GB kit or two 32GB kits? Asking cause you wrote kits and two kits can be more difficult to get stable even at rated speeds.
If two high speed kits matches and start without issues you are usually just lucky.

Have you tried to just enable D.O.C.P without any adjustments to speed, timings or voltage? 🙂

It's actually 4 kits of 16GB, it was the cheapest option when I initially bought them surprisingly. Worst case, how much more likely do you think a single kit of 64GB work be anyway? To be be even more detailed, one kit is a 4133Mhz kit, was running that at 3600-3800 on my old Z270 Setup, then got another kit, but of 3600Mhz, when I decided to go HEDT.

I'm about to go through this thread and try the various things, I'll post again with my results

IM3CPO wrote:
One other tip I have had suggested when populating all DIMM slots is to use manual settings (not DOCP), enter all memory timings manually, set voltage on RAM to 1.35v, and up voltage on SOC to 1.25v - 1.35v. Also set Memory Command rate to T2.. Good luck!

Thanks for the info, one thing I'm unfamiliar with on this new CPU is there are two DRAM voltages. One says AB Voltage, the other says CD Voltage? Do I match them? Mess with one and leave the other?

EDIT: I've tried the DOCP method and that failed to boot. Well, it kind of booted, but then Windows would fail to launch.

I tried manual settings with 1.25 SOC and it booted but eventually started to run into Windows errors and game crashes. I'll try higher SOC voltage.
I've been so unlucky with RAM speed on all the AMD systems I've worked on lately.

Enad1 wrote:
Thanks for the info, one thing I'm unfamiliar with on this new CPU is there are two DRAM voltages. One says AB Voltage, the other says CD Voltage? Do I match them? Mess with one and leave the other?

I dont know for certain, but my understanding is the AB is referring to the A and B memory channels and CD is referring to the C and D memory channels. You are supposed to use matched sets when using dual channel memory settings. Since the Threadripper is Quad channel, you get both AB (which should match) and CD (which should also match). Again, I am fairly certain this is the case, but I am not 100% certain.

In summary, you should set the voltage at whatever voltage your memory supports.

Mikan02
Level 7
@Cory29
Have you done the OLED/Aura Firmware update and updated to latest bios?
You can find the firmware update in top sticky post (first link) or support page for the Zenith.
The latest UEFI betas can be found in sticky too.

You can use AMD Ryzen Master to change certain settings like Local and Distributed Memory mode,
they are available in bios too but at different places and different names (Channel/CPU).
http://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

If it sets 1T Command Rate, you could try 2T instead and see if that helps.

IM3CPO
Level 7
One other tip I have had suggested when populating all DIMM slots is to use manual settings (not DOCP), enter all memory timings manually, set voltage on RAM to 1.35v, and up voltage on SOC to 1.25v - 1.35v. Also set Memory Command rate to T2.. Good luck!