cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading & updating Asus Maximus Hero VIII rig

Cauac
Level 7
Hi there,

I would like to ask advice from experienced builders who specifically have built rigs on Maximus Hero VIII. I have done some light rig building & tweaking in the past by myself but I would say I'm pretty much an absolute beginner when it comes to installing & tweaking hardware and the modern systems with SSDs, DDR4 and these very powerful graphic cards. Nevertheless, I would like to learn how to tweak and play around with my current build.

So my rig currently:

Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.00ghz
Noctua NH-D14 processor cooler
Asus Maximus VIII HERO
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB GDDR5
Kingston 8GB (2x4) HyperX Fury DDR4 2666 MHz
EVGA 750W SuperNOVA 750 G2, modular 80 PLUS Gold
Samsung 256GB 850 PRO Series SSD 2.5"
Fractal Design Define R5 BlackOut Edition

I have a fresh install of Win 10 Pro, MH8 BIOS 2202, no latest drivers/ tweaking software etc. installed for the hardware after the win 10 installation yet.

What I want to do is to install additional SSD (Samsung 500Gb 960 EVO M.2 NVMe) for games & storage and change the HyperX Furys to 2x8Gb Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz, update the BIOS to 3504 and naturally install all the latest drivers and tweaking software for the hardware I have and the new ones I plan to install.

My question is; Where should I start? Should I update the BIOS first or install the hardware first (and in which order, SSD or memory first), how about the drivers when do you recommend I install them?

I would be grateful if you experienced guru builders could give me a 1,2,3.. order for doing the updates I plan to make. For now I'd be happy to get the HyperX Predators to run stable on 3000MHz or even 2800 MHz.

So please, give a NooB a helping hand. Thank you in advance!
3 REPLIES 3

Cauac
Level 7
Please Help, Anyone?

I'd really appreciate some guidelines on the above plans, basically I'd start with installing the hardware first but then again the latest BIOS (3504) is supposed to have improved RAM stability and support as well as better support for the SSD m.2 NMVe:s.

So any of you experienced pc builders that have done something similar I plan on MH8, please let me know how you would proceed?

Thanks a lot for the help to anyone responding!

Eric_F
Level 10
I follow this basic outline when building a system, and everything is done at stock clock speed. I don't do any overclocking until the system is first stable in a basic, stock configuration.

1) Assemble everything. Start out right with your cabling tidied up in the case. Be particularly careful with correct thermal compound application and heatsink installation.
2) Update your BIOS to the latest version.
3) Reset your BIOS to factory defaults. Yes, the updater should do this, bit do it manually just to be sure.
4) Install your operating system.
5) Download all the latest drivers for your system from the manufacturer and install in this order, rebooting as necessary:
a) Chipset driver
b) Management Engine driver (on Intel boards)
c) Intel (or primary chipset) SATA storage driver (You can skip the Intel Rapid Storage GUI setup if you want and just run the installer for the bare driver)
d) Additonal SATA drivers (ASMedia, etc), including their separate firmware updates, if applicable
e) Additional USB system drivers, including their separate firmware updates, if applicable
f) Network driver
g) Sound driver and supporting software (like Sonic Studio)
h) Video driver for your card (Direct from Nvidia or AMD -- Don't rely on the one installed by your operating system.)

6) Let your operating system run its own updates. (Might take a while...) Reboot when it's done, even if it auto-rebooted, do it one more time.

Now start testing your system for functionality and basic stability. Find and resolve any problems now, so you have a good foundation to start with. Install a few applications that you're famaililar with, and make sure they run as expected. Don't bother customizing any setups until you know the bare-bones configuration is stable.

Now, you can begin tweaking.

First, turn on the XMP profile for your memory in the BIOS. Then run your system and make sure it's stable and working as expected under just the basic XMP profile. This is the basic performance level including the necessary settings to work with your memory's rated timings.

Notice I haven't recommended installing any of the extra software that come with your board yet. No GUI overclocking software, no GUI extras, no RGB lighting control software, no gaming extras. Just bare-bones stock plus XMP, all done on the BIOS. If your system runs and proves itself stable this way, then you can decide first what extra software to add. I recommend keeping it simple; if you don't expect to use it - don't install it.

Does your system check out? Running smoothly? Great! Now you can consider tweaking and overclocking. But that's a whole other process and learning curve. If you intend to go deeper, don't bother installing any more games and applications. Because if anything goes wrong while doing advanced tweaking that messes up your OS installation (Like a hard crash that well and truly corrupts Windows' boot records -- It can happen!) you won't have lost the time only to install it all over again.

System building is fun -- just take it slow and carefully, and be methodical. That's how to avoid frustration.
Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero
Processor: I7 6700K - 4.9GHz OC
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2
Memory: G.Skill DDR4-3000 16GB
Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 1721/1860MHz
Storage #1: 1TB Western Digital Black
Storage #2: 2TB Western Digital Black
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Power Supply: Antec Edge 650 80+ Gold

Hi Eric_F,

Thank you very much for really comprehensive reply on building & driver installation!

I'm sure your post will be very useful for me now and in the future, hopefully for many other beginner pc builders as well.

I'll heed your advice and follow the sequence as described. For now it seems I'm going to abandon the HyperX Predator RAMs as I'm getting no post with them no matter I reset CMOS or install the previous RAMs (HyperX Fury 2666MHz) and make sure the BIOS is returned to default settings, have been trying single RAM sticks in different slots with surely no XMP profiles or any other BIOS tweaking on; still the system doesn't post with the Predators and I keep on getting Q code 53 and once 49 (with single RAM installed to the B2 slot).

So I'm just going to try and install 16GB (2x8GB) of HyperX Fury CL15 2666MHz to get my system up and running again.

Anyway, thanks a lot again for the insight Eric_F, much appreciated!