cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to post with G.Skill DDR4 3200mhz Memory (32GB Kit)

joezollo
Level 7
Hello All!

I just built a brand new Ryzen Threadripper 1950X / ROG Zenith Extreme system and I seem to be having trouble booting with my memory.

I have a 32GB Quad Channel G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200Mhz (RGB) memory kit with 4 identical DIMMs.

Per the motherboard manual, I populated slots A1, B1, C1, D1

The system will only post when memory is in B1 and/or B2.

Memory in just B1: Posts
Memory in Just B2: Will not post
Memory in B1+B2: Posts

When the system doesn't post, it just loops: power on, shut down, power on, shut down, etc.

Example: https://youtu.be/OlAp7c0yMGU

I'm running the latest BIOS available (0601). I would appreciate any thoughts on how to get this resolved.

A friend of mine is running this exact same setup (Zenith / 1950x / G.Skill 3200) and he has no issues posting.

Would appreciate any insight/thoughts!
6 REPLIES 6

pisymbol
Level 7
I have the Trident Z RGB 64GB 3200 kit and have no issues to report. And they are clocked at 3200 in the BIOS.

That is the kit I am using in my build right now. I have two kits of the memory and but I can NOT populate the slot fully with both kits.

Using one kit it works great this isn't any issues using the XMP profile to get it to run at advertised speed.

But when I put both kits in the system the computer will post and boot, but only at 2133 speed. But if I try and run both kits at 3200mhz, the system will not boot unless 2T is selected and even then the system is still unstable.

Av8tor2 wrote:
That is the kit I am using in my build right now. I have two kits of the memory and but I can NOT populate the slot fully with both kits.

Using one kit it works great this isn't any issues using the XMP profile to get it to run at advertised speed.

But when I put both kits in the system the computer will post and boot, but only at 2133 speed. But if I try and run both kits at 3200mhz, the system will not boot unless 2T is selected and even then the system is still unstable.

Upgrade to 9960?

pisymbol wrote:
Upgrade to 9960?

Yes, I am using that.

I may have read this incorrectly but, if your memory kit is above 2820 it uses 2T automatically.

But my kit is showing the following.

I'm having a similar problem using 2 Corsair Dominator CMD32GX4M2B3000C15 RAM kits. It works fine with 3 16gb sticks installed in a1, b1, and c1, but when I add the 4th stick into D1, it will not post and just goes into a boot loop. This is the second set of RAM I got (previously g.Skill Ripjaws V) and I double checked to make sure that the Corsair kit was on the QVL list, and it was, but I still have the same problem. I've read that the Zenith has been having trouble with the 16GB sticks, but I figured it should be good since it is on the approved list, but I can't get it to boot with that 4th stick installed. So, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Asus Zenith Extreme
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
64GB (4x16) Corsair Dominator CMD32GX4M2B3000C15

Just let me know if sharing any other specs might help narrow down the problem.

F4-3200C14Q-64GTZR works perfect with my zenith with bios 0503 settings xmp 3200 docp from asus drop down list
all other things default settings, is works great. No problems at all.
Do not use bios 9960 because it let to bosd