cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

an interesting observation whenever I experience cold boot issue without unplug power

andyliu
Level 9
Here is an interesting observation that I have been experiencing every time I experiencing cold boot issue without turning off PSU.

I always experiencing cold boot everytime it takes few extra sec to react to shutdown request; literally nothing happen and and go to the windows shutdown screen few sec after.
and upon next boot, I always get hit by the cold boot. It will try to train the memory again but restart with ram @ 1866.
So I normally just try to get into BIOS and exit without changing anything to get it recongnized the ram @ 3200.

And upon entering windows, I will always see those 2 event showing up on windows event info.67079
as you can see, I turn off my computer @ ~5AM and try to turn it on ~5:45 PM.
I dont force computer off or anything, simply just click on Shutdown and wait for it to turn it off.
Everything is stable, and if I dont see the extra few sec for windows to react to the shutdown request, the next boot doesn't come with cold boot issue.

Another issue is that sometimes the windows restart button can lead to system shutdown??
But this one could just be me misclicking lol.
It happens once a while but the options are close enough.
So I dont know if it's me misclicking or it's sending out wrong command.

I dont know if it happens for everyone, but so far it's pretty consistent for my system.
7 REPLIES 7

dlbsyst
Level 9
andyliu wrote:
Here is an interesting observation that I have been experiencing every time I experiencing cold boot issue without turning off PSU.

I always experiencing cold boot everytime it takes few extra sec to react to shutdown request; literally nothing happen and and go to the windows shutdown screen few sec after.
and upon next boot, I always get hit by the cold boot. It will try to train the memory again but restart with ram @ 1866.
So I normally just try to get into BIOS and exit without changing anything to get it recongnized the ram @ 3200.

And upon entering windows, I will always see those 2 event showing up on windows event info.67079
as you can see, I turn off my computer @ ~5AM and try to turn it on ~5:45 PM.
I dont force computer off or anything, simply just click on Shutdown and wait for it to turn it off.
Everything is stable, and if I dont see the extra few sec for windows to react to the shutdown request, the next boot doesn't come with cold boot issue.

Another issue is that sometimes the windows restart button can lead to system shutdown??
But this one could just be me misclicking lol.
It happens once a while but the options are close enough.
So I dont know if it's me misclicking or it's sending out wrong command.

I dont know if it happens for everyone, but so far it's pretty consistent for my system.

Great observation Andyliu. I think I may have found an option in Windows 10 that is causing the cold boot issue without power loss and possibly your problem of "sometimes the windows restart button can lead to system shutdown" but I want to test it out.

Please go to Control Panel-Hardware and Sound-Power Options. From there go to the left side of the screen where it says "Choose what the power buttons do" and click it. Ok, where it says "When I press the power button" change that to "Do nothing" instead of "Shut down" You also might want ot disable "Turn on Fast Startup".

Anyone who tries these setting, post here if it solves your cold boot without power loss problem.

dlbsyst wrote:
Great observation Andyliu. I think I may have found an option in Windows 10 that is causing the cold boot issue without power loss and possibly your problem of "sometimes the windows restart button can lead to system shutdown" but I want to test it out.

Please go to Control Panel-Hardware and Sound-Power Options. From there go to the left side of the screen where it says "Choose what the power buttons do" and click it. Ok, where it says "When I press the power button" change that to "Do nothing" instead of "Shut down" You also might want ot disable "Turn on Fast Startup".

Anyone who tries these setting, post here if it solves your cold boot without power loss problem.

I will give that a try
The option looks like an option for physical button(the power button on your chassis); whereas my issue is related to the software one (start menu -> power -> shutdown)
just to be clear, I dont force shutdown or anything, all I do is go start menu -> power -> and select shutdown.
But ya I will give that a shot and see how it works out, will take a while to verify as the delay doesn't always happem.

andyliu wrote:
I will give that a try
The option looks like an option for physical button(the power button on your chassis); whereas my issue is related to the software one (start menu -> power -> shutdown)
just to be clear, I dont force shutdown or anything, all I do is go start menu -> power -> and select shutdown.
But ya I will give that a shot and see how it works out, will take a while to verify as the delay doesn't always happem.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what this option is doing at this point or if it fixes our problem yet. It's too early to tell. If it does fix it my theory is it is talking to our UEFI Bios and telling it to shut down when you hit the power button. Since our computer is already shut down it confuses the Bios and it boot up twice. It's just a theory at this point but it does seem to fix my cold boot issue, I think.:) I need others to try it and confirm.

dlbsyst wrote:
You also might want ot disable "Turn on Fast Startup".

You solved my cold boot bug with this. I'm serious DISABLE "Turn on Fast Startup" in Windows. Even the System boots faster now. I testet more than a week now before i wrote this.

BIOS/UEFI: 1701
Fast boot enabled

Thank You very much!

mr_mibh wrote:
You solved my cold boot bug with this. I'm serious DISABLE "Turn on Fast Startup" in Windows. Even the System boots faster now. I testet more than a week now before i wrote this.

BIOS/UEFI: 1701
Fast boot enabled

Thank You very much!

Bro, what was your cold boot bug? Turn on PC and code F9, memory settings default, you have get into BIOS and save your settings again? Turn on PC after unplugging your PC causing 2 auto resets to boot? Turn your PC normally and 1 reset to boot? They are so many!

Thanks!

toxzl2 wrote:
Bro, what was your cold boot bug? Turn on PC and code F9, memory settings default, you have get into BIOS and save your settings again? Turn on PC after unplugging your PC causing 2 auto resets to boot? Turn your PC normally and 1 reset to boot? They are so many!

Thanks!

normal boot bug without unplugging: 1 auto reset , memory runs with default settings (JEDEC), CPU overclock running, go to Bios , Overclock still there, change nothing , save and reboot

unusual cold boot bug: after some days without starting the system or after unplugging: 1 or 2 auto resets, RGB suddenly on (but disabled), memory runs with default settings (JEDEC), go to Bios , Overclock still there, change nothing , save and reboot

DRAM Voltage and DRAM Boot Voltage 1,325 V, GSKILL Flare X @ 3200 Mhz 14-14-14-34-48-560-1T

andyliu
Level 9
Well, while it didn't solve the issue that I was experiencing, I had different solution for my own issue.
with 1701 BIOS, I actually reseat my CPU and I haven't had cold boot issue since. However, it only works without CPU OC.
While my O.C is stable with IBT and reachbench stress test, it seems that the board is having issue to boot it up properly.

And often when I enter BIOS after cold boot issue, I will notice that the voltage reading will be ****ed up and experiencing freeze in BIOS.
here is one of the example, where 1.05v gets shoot up to 2.4v
it's just one thing that can happen.
sometimes the 1.8v will go crazy, or 1.05v will go as low as .24
And the worst happen is SoC voltage will ignore the assigned value and stock @ .8xx v

right now, I am just chill with CPU default + O.C my 32GB Flare X @ 3200 with memory fail count set to 3 and no cold boot issue.