cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PG279Q Looks Used

BaronVonUsernam
Level 7
I recently purchased a new PG279Q with an April 2017 manufacture date from a respectable big box retailer. I had to return it due to a dead pixel in the center of the screen and the poor condition of the monitor out of the box. I'm considering trying again, but before I do, I'd like to know if the following is normal for a new PG279Q:

1) My monitor/stand was already assembled despite the quick start guide suggesting I would have to do this myself.

2) The only screen protection consisted of a loose foam bag and a piece of bubble wrap taped to the frame.

3) There were smudges/handprints on the upper left corner of the screen.

4) Styrofoam dust was stuck in gaps between the bezel and outer frame.

5) A foil card listing the features was under the bubble wrap and appeared to have caused some light scratches visible in a sunlit room.

Overall, I got the impression that my "new" monitor had already been opened, removed, assembled and repackaged. Is this normal for Asus? Other than the unfortunately placed dead pixel and the "dirty" condition, the picture quality and construction were fantastic, but I'm somewhat apprehensive of trying another if this is considered normal for a fresh-from-the-box Asus monitor.*
17 REPLIES 17

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi BaronVonUsername,

That doesn't sound right, please check with your place of purchase if somebody had returned the unit previously. A new monitor should never appear to have been tampered with.

The retailer said it was definitely not open box and noted the box was sealed with Asus tape. I have read that North American PG279Qs are given additional QC testing for backlight bleed. Is it possible that the NA testers are not handling some monitors as carefully as they should? In any case, I will give this monitor another try as I was very impressed with the overall build quality.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi BaronVonUsername,

Let me look into this for you. In the meantime, check out the monitor, by all means, return it if you're not happy with it. If everything is good, you'll save yourself the hassle, and you can get into your games straight away.

overdriven12
Level 8
Hi,

I've ordered 3 PG279Q's on Amazon (europe) for Nvidia Surround.

Today I got one delivered which was used before as well.
Fingerprints on it, the plastic around the Power supply was smacked back onto it with fingerprints and dust all over it .

I thought okay lets test it first, maybe it's not that big of a deal but then I noticed this:

https://gyazo.com/99815e60180f56ba1f09297cf25657bf

This was captured with stock settings and Brightness turned down to 75%.

I tested World of Warcraft,Agents of Mayhem and you can see that in-game or while browsing the web as well, especially those blue areas are extreme.

Sending this one back and getting a replacement.

I just hope the 2 other ones that get delivered tomorrow aren't as bad.

If it turns out that all 3 (2 + the replacement) are as bad, is there an option to RMA them and insist on testing the replacement units before shipping them to me?

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi overdriven12,

Sorry to hear that. Was the box sealed properly when you received it? If you haven't sent it back, please PM me the product serial number. I will escalate the issue.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Hi overdriven12,

Sorry to hear that. Was the box sealed properly when you received it? If you haven't sent it back, please PM me the product serial number. I will escalate the issue.

Yes, the box was sealed properly.
I've already sent it back to amazon. I don't know the S/N but I know the follwowing:
Manufacturing Date: March 2017
Batch Number 220988
CHECK NO: 7672

The 2nd monitor arrived today and has no issues 🙂

I'll keep you updated once the 3rd one and the replacement of the 1st one have arrived.

Thanks!

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi BaronVonUsername,

Did everything work out for you? If you are not happy with the monitor, just PM me the product serial number and let me look into it.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Good to hear the second one is good. Enjoy!
Just let us know if there are any more questions.

overdriven12
Level 8
Hi again,

The 3rd monitor has arrived today.
I opened the box and got a shock right away, the monitor was in the box exactly as shown on the picture.

https://gyazo.com/d4a999603176acde7b2d0a869885549b

The box was sealed and everything looked new.

When I plugged it in via DP i checked for lightbleed and it wasn't as bad but when i dragged my browser to the screen I immediately noticed a yellow tint.

It looks exactly like shown here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81679-PG279Q-Backlight-bleed&p=579339&viewfull=1#post57933...

Obviously I double checked the settings on both monitors but they were both set to stock.

It's from the same batch
Manufacturing Date: March 2017
Batch number 220988
Check NO: 8320

The replacement for the 1st one is already on it's way and should arrive by tomorrow so I guess I have to return this one as well and wait for another replacement.