cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Ranger - PC freezing

Feniksx89
Level 7
Hi,
hopefully someone will be able to help me, ever since I bought a new PC I had constant random freezes when playing games (no BSOD).
Frezees were sometimes happening every day.

Things I have tried:
- Updated all drivers and BIOS
- Switched a GPU with a friend of mine (also got a freeze on his GPU)
- 2 days of MemTest, had 0 errors
- Replaced the SSD (no luck)
- Switched a different PSU (again froze)
- Changed PCIe from Auto first to 3.0 and later 2.0 (setting it to 2.0 made it more stable on average freezing once per week)

Based on the last thing I tried ... I guess the PCIe is faulty or do I need some other special settings?
If it was the CPU, I'd guess it would have more constant troubles.

Thank you for any tips, advices ... Really getting annoyed since I cant play games in peace, I'm really thinking of just buying a new MOBO -_-'
16 REPLIES 16

Buellersdayoff
Level 7
@Feniksx89 Are you running your system stock or overclocked? Try default first. It could be your gpu overclocks. Or most likely ram, go into bios and bump up vccsa and vccio voltage in small increments until stable keeping about 1.2v maximum for now. It will add a little more heat to the cpu but is safe. I have mine @ ~1.24v for DDR4 3466mhz. Maybe add a little voltage to dram say .02-.05v

I'm running stock i5 6600k since beginning, RAM was first set to Auto, later I switched it to XMP but did not fix anything.
For the GPU tried a GPU from my friend, both cards don't overclock on their own.

Feniksx89 wrote:
I'm running stock i5 6600k since beginning, RAM was first set to Auto, later I switched it to XMP but did not fix anything.
For the GPU tried a GPU from my friend, both cards don't overclock on their own.
Try adjusting those voltages as mentioned, it's usually ram that will cause the system to freeze, even when set to auto or xmp it may not be enough.

OK so these are now the updated voltages, I hope its visible. Previously both auto, vccio was at around 0.965V and vccsa 1.07V.

anphetamina
Level 7
Did you fixed the issue?
Can you share your complete profile? I have G.skill ripjaws v 3200 16gb but I a complete noob for these things, I'm too afraid of damage my dimms

Feniksx89 wrote:
OK so these are now the updated voltages, I hope its visible. Previously both auto, vccio was at around 0.965V and vccsa 1.07V.
How is the system running?
anphetamina wrote:
Did you fixed the issue?
Can you share your complete profile? I have G.skill ripjaws v 3200 16gb but I a complete noob for these things, I'm too afraid of damage my dimms
Some good info here http://www.overclock.net/t/1569364/official-intel-ddr4-24-7-memory-stability-thread

@Buellersdayoff
Hi, sorry for the late reply, had a busy week.
Still had a freezes, already slowly increasing both voltages each time. Hopefully its just the matter of right settings.

@anphetamina
Basically the only thing I changed was, change the memory to use XMP and then manually adjusted the voltages.

Feniksx89 wrote:
@Buellersdayoff
Hi, sorry for the late reply, had a busy week.
Still had a freezes, already slowly increasing both voltages each time. Hopefully its just the matter of right settings.

@anphetamina
Basically the only thing I changed was, change the memory to use XMP and then manually adjusted the voltages.

Have you tried oc your CPU?
I have set my ram to 1.35v (g.skill default) and manually set the latency and frequency without XMP, then disabling all cpu power saving features and the onboard audio, same.
another user is experiencing those freezes even with a i7-7700k and a rog asus motherboard

@NemesisChild
http://tinypic.com/r/2qd02vo/9

The rest of the stuff not on that list is (but these are also the things I tried to switch with a friend of mine):
- Asus Strix GTX 970
- Samsung SSD 850 EVO
- Power supply is Corsair CS750M

@Have you tried oc your CPU?
I have set my ram to 1.35v (g.skill default) and manually set the latency and frequency without XMP, then disabling all cpu power saving features and the onboard audio, same.
another user is experiencing those freezes even with a i7-7700k and a rog asus motherboard anphetamina

My RAM default is 1.2V , CPU is not overclocked ... well the only thing happening is that turbo boost ... nothing else.