cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Formula and M.2 SSD installation help

escobar
Level 7
Hi all, first post!

I'm new to this whole M.2 thing, not very pro at these kinda technical stuffs. A little info, I have 3 SSDs, 2 HDD. So, couple of days ago went down SLS and randomly bought a M.2 SSD, should have just get a Samsung, anyway, hopefully I address the essential parts.

Everything was intact, I didnt unplug all cables connected to all my drives, opened the cover of the mobo M.2 and install the M.2 SSD (I know theres 2 slot, 1 is covered by a cover the other is right outside I tried both and none works), after doing so, I was unable to boot to windows, I noticed a white dash blinking around the top left of the screen and it boot me back to the BIOS. My question to this do I need to unplug every SSD and HDD before installing? I'm not sure what do I need to set in my BIOS? I did read some guide online but for the most part I was immediately at a state of WTF mode, lol.

I'm only using my M.2 SSD as another storage not gonna install my OS on it permanently, since it's already on 1 of my SSD drive which begs the question cause Ive read guides online stating that I gotta create a bootable USB or DVD to install OS on it and to disconnect everything first so it allow the mobo to recognise it? But what is the purpose for installing another OS on the M.2 SSD and then connecting everything back when my only intention is using it as another storage for games, etc not OS, I don't need 2 OS on 2 drives.

I really couldn't recall what I messed around in the BIOS configuration yesterday, only barely remember the part selecting Auto. x2. x4 and there is 1 more I couldn't recall. Again, hopefully someone with the same mobo or experience can literally guide me step by step, I mean step by step, totally new to the M.2 stuff. I just woke up and thats all I can think of now, let me know if I still need to provide anymore info. Thanks all!
10 REPLIES 10

Chino wrote:
Did you install Windows in UEFI mode?

I dont really think so but to confirm here is a link.

Chino
Level 15
Doesn't look like it. So just make sure the SSD with your Windows installation is on top of the boot device list. Then disable boot from other devices.

Chino wrote:
Doesn't look like it. So just make sure the SSD with your Windows installation is on top of the boot device list. Then disable boot from other devices.

SSD u meant the M.2? So, I have to install the OS to the M.2, if that is the case, Im a little lost, why install the OS again? Also, do u actually mean so that I can boot to Windows and then format the M.2 SSD? Go back BIOS and set the the SSD (not M.2) with my OS back to top priority in boot?

Btw, I just realized if its not UEFI, not sure why my BIOS is still showing the ROG ASUS UI, I mean able to navigate with mouse and KB. Anyway I can actually know if it is UEFI?

Chino
Level 15
No. If you already have an OS on a SSD, make sure that SSD is on top of the boot device list. That way the motherboard only boots to that device.

Alright, and do I need to unplug all others except the SSD with the OS in it? What about the other steps such as 2nd boot priority, configuration of the M.2 configuration or something? If possible, in my case, possible for u to list the steps out? I didnt look for other source for help except here and your reply is a little long lol just saying. Thanks again Chino

escobar wrote:
Alright, and do I need to unplug all others except the SSD with the OS in it?

No, unless you plan to reinstall Windows.

escobar wrote:
What about the other steps such as 2nd boot priority, configuration of the M.2 configuration or something?

Personally, I disable the option to boot from my other devices, so that my SSD/HDD with my OS is the only entry on the boot device list.

Your M.2 SSD is SATA based, so you need to install it in the M.2_1 slot. As far as configuration goes, the motherboard will automatically detect the mode. If it doesn't, go into the Onboard Devices Configuration and change the M.2_1 from Auto to SATA Mode.

Tried and followed your instruction. 1 of my SSD which has the OS installed disappear from the Boot priority.