cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed - Maximus VIII Hero system not posting after changing RAM sticks

Cauac
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I'm asking for help on the issue with system not posting after changing 8GB (2x4GB) HyperX Fury 2666MHz RAM sticks to 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Predator 3200MHz.

Here are the specs for the HyperX Predators: https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX432C16PB3K2_16.pdf

My rig before changing the RAM:

Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.00ghz
Noctua NH-D14 processor cooler
Asus Maximus VIII HERO
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB GDDR5
Kingston 8GB (2x4) HyperX Fury DDR4 2666 MHz
EVGA 750W SuperNOVA 750 G2, modular 80 PLUS Gold
Samsung 256GB 850 PRO Series SSD 2.5"
Fractal Design Define R5 BlackOut Edition

I'm have BIOS 3504 and everything was running fine prior to changing the RAMs. The HyperX Furys were running stable @2666MHz.

When I installed the HyperX Predators the system didn't post and I got the Q code 53. Then I tried to boot with only one RAM stick on both slot A2 and B2 with the exact same result. After that I cleared the CMOS by pressing the clear CMOS button for 5+ secs and tried to boot again with both two/single Predator sticks installed - to no avail. Still get Q code 53 and system not posting so I can't get to bios settings to correct the XMP values for the memory.

I'm at loss what to do. Not sure how reliable but at least partpicker site doesn't give any incompatibility alert with this RAM: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2YC7xY

I'm completely stuck here and have tried every possible solution I could find so far. So please let me know if you guys have any suggestions how to solve the issue, all help is appreciated!
1 REPLY 1

emsir
Level 8
2 Ram modules should be in the gray Ram slots according to the manual. DIMM A2 and DIMM B2. In the manual your RAM is not listed in the Qualified Vendors List and all RAM in the list use 1. 2 volt (2666Mhz). If XMP enabled they should run with 1.35 volt. (3000mhz and 3200 mhz - profile 2 & 1. Depending on your RAM.....
Just noticed that your RAM is 2400 mhz and not 2666 mhz! But if you enable XMP they should work with 3200mhz just fine.