cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible bug in UEFI - Crosshair VI Extreme not applying multiplier correctly

Botlike
Level 7
Hey,

I'm new here and joined to discuss a possible bug I found in my new motherboard. But maybe I'm just stupid and did something wrong, I don't know ...

First of all: It's my first AMD system. I upgraded from my old 4790K to a Ryzen 1700. I went for the non-X since overclocking abilities should not be different between these two chips. To go with the 1700, I got a Crosshair VI Extreme since it has some nice features I want to make use of.

Of course, I wanted to overclock. I was hoping to reach 4000 MHz. First, I tried a multiplier of 35 without changing anything. I wanted to put full load on the cpu to see if it runs stable. To do that, I chose Cinebench for a quick check. No problems whatsoever. (For final stability testing, I usually use AIDA64 stress test. Just wanted to mention.) Then I tried 38. When starting the benchmark in Cinebench, I got a black screen. So I went back to UEFI and set it to 37, which I am currently running just fine.

When I re-tried 38 and then checked clock speeds in CPU-Z or HWinfo, I saw that I'm stuck at a multiplier of 15.5, resulting in 1550 MHz on the CPU. This happens every time I try to push any higher than 37. It doesn't matter if it's 37.25 or 40 for example. I also tried "auto" voltage, manual and offsets. Any higher than 37x gets me stuck at 1550 MHz.

So, I googled this issue and found out that this problem occured on many other boards as well - Even on boards of other brands. And it looks that it's not even only limited to the 1700, the 1600X for example gets locked at 2200 MHz or something. When reading about this problem, I found out that most people were able to fix this by using an older UEFI version. But since there's only one for my board, there's no version I could try. I read about that the Crosshair VI Hero had the same issue which was fixed in a newer version. Again, this also applies to other boards of other brands.

It looks like there is an issue with the UEFI not applying the multiplier correctly. I tried to change some settings as well to maybe fix the problem. But none of them changed anything. I even tried using the manual multiplier with the devider thing, again, resulting in 1550 MHz. To make sure that I didn't do anything wrong, I cleared CMOS and started from there. I tried re-flashing current UEFI. I also re-installed Windows to make sure the problem is not there. No change.

The only thing I could possibly try is to overclock using pstates. But I really want to avoid using that.

I also found out that the UEFI seems to raise VCore automatically when I set the multiplier higher. At 3000 MHz it was at 0.9 or something - but at 3700 it's at 1.2. Not sure if it's meant to be this way. (At least I managed to set a VCore offset of -0.04375 @3700MHz.)

So, is there anything I could do to further overclock? Or is it really a bug which needs to be fixed?

Thanks in advance

Botlike
26 REPLIES 26

Korth
Level 14
What are your temps, your CPU cooler?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Fill in your system specs and bios revision would go a long way here. System specs can be filled in under profile > Setting & Function > Edit your details.

I am having the exact same issue with my C6E and Ryzen 1700. My board is currently back at the retailer for RMA.

I logged a call with Asus support and the monkey that was assigned told me to flash to the latest BIOS. Errr there is no later BIOS for the C6E except the initial 0401 BIOS.

It's nothing you're doing wrong, this issue is wide spread, and affects other motherboard manufacturers as well. What disappoints me is that Asus have not yet patched the C6E BIOS and have released what is in effect a board with a faulty UEFI.

The same issue on the Crosshair VI Hero is patched in the latest UEFI 1501: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91766-Crosshair-VI-Hero-UEFI-build-1501

I am also pretty pissed off with the lack of knowledge from the Asus support agent.

For a high end board, this is unacceptable.

EDIT: Perhaps my retailer will allow me to change to a Gigabyte or AsRock board?

Korth wrote:
What are your temps, your CPU cooler?

In idle, CPU sits at around 27°C to 30°C. The maximum I reached was 54°C with AIDA64 stress test running. My cooler is a Thermalright True Spirit 120.

syldon wrote:
Fill in your system specs and bios revision would go a long way here. System specs can be filled in under profile > Setting & Function > Edit your details.

Done. BIOS revision is 0401 - The only BIOS available for this board.

'[OJR wrote:
;672189']I am having the exact same issue with my C6E and Ryzen 1700. My board is currently back at the retailer for RMA.

I would not go this far since the board is pretty new and quite outstanding. That's why I chose this board.

'[OJR wrote:
;672189']The same issue on the Crosshair VI Hero is patched in the latest UEFI 1501: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91766-Crosshair-VI-Hero-UEFI-build-1501

I've read about this as well. I also think that the C6H has now a BETA UEFI to fix this issue.

'[OJR wrote:
;672189']For a high end board, this is unacceptable.

This seems to be a well-known problem and shouldn't be there. But bugs can occur ...

Oh, believe me, I didn't want to return the board. The Asus support agent asked me to return it.

My question is, how can they not test a Ryzen 1700 when qualifying a UEFI for release?

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
hey bot and OJR, listen carefully. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS BOARD. It works perfectly well with the 1700. I have hit high 1700's and low 1800's on Cinebench and got extremely high scores on cpuz.
what I think is happening, is if you don't make sure to compliment your overclock among all the important settings, it will automatically readjust to a lower base number. I went through this with my ram on the Hero, before upgrading to the Extreme. In one instance, I had my ram set at 3466mhz and it was running great, and then I tried to push the cpu higher, and the ram would go back down to 2200mhz. You have to have all of your ducks in a row with all complimentary settings. I've been running the 1700 at 4062ghz since the day I received the CH 6 Extreme board. If you are still having problems when you read this, post what settings you are using, and I will post my settings for you to try. Just let me know. Cheers!
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

No it's definitely not that Stevae. For 2 reasons:

1. I can have everything on AUTO and simply change VCORE to 1.35V for example. I reboot, go into Windows and the multiplier is stuck at 15.5

2. This exact issue is documented on the Crosshair VI HERO motherboard, and it is fixed in the latest BIOS 1501.

I am sure there is NOTHING wrong with the board, but the UEFI has an issue with certain Ryzen 7 1700 CPUs.

There have been no BIOS updates for this board in over 2 months.

AQUASTEVAE wrote:
what I think is happening, is if you don't make sure to compliment your overclock among all the important settings, it will automatically readjust to a lower base number.

First, thanks for replying here. Well, it's not that. Like OJR already said, it's just the multiplier which is stuck at 15.5, whenever I try to set a multiplier any higher than 37. [EDIT: At this point, it didn't even fail to POST. It's just not applying them corretly!] I didn't touch BLCK yet, and it sits at 100 MHz as it should be. A multiplier of 15.5 is actually AMDs P2-state, it seems that it's stuck there for some reason.
However, I found a workaround. I reverted all my OC to default and just tried PState overclocking. I simply adjusted the P0 state to work with a multiplier of 37 which worked fine. Don't remember if I changed anything else in that step because I wanted to dig deeper. So, again I adjusted P0 state to a multiplier of 38. To be fully stable, I also needed to dial in a VCore offset of +0.05625. When trying to get 39 stable, I put some more VCore to it, reaching higher temps than I want it to be (remember, I'm still on a small tower air cooler) and it was not stable at all. At this point I just went back to my stable 3800 MHz OC using pstates.
I also tried these settings again with stock pstates, resulting in getting stuck at a multiplier of 15.5 again. Since I benefit of lower idle temps when using pstate oc, I'll stick to that. But still, that's something which needs to get fixed. I also assume that you are overclocking with pstates as well, right?

I already figured out my way to go, but I would like to see your settings. I'm curious how you did that. I'd also appriciate if you could provide information about your cooling solution and your temps. 🙂

AQUASTEVAE wrote:
In one instance, I had my ram set at 3466mhz and it was running great, and then I tried to push the cpu higher, and the ram would go back down to 2200mhz. You have to have all of your ducks in a row with all complimentary settings.

When doing my initial overclocks, I just had a cheap 2133 RAM in it. I didn't even try to overclock it. But now I have my Trident Z RGBs. Running at 2933 for now. Didn't push higher there as well, since it also puts heat to the cpu. I also had my RAM @2933 when trying to push the CPU to 3900 MHz. I was reaching like 67°C on the CPU without being stable at all. Now with pstates maxing out at 3800MHz and RAM@2933 being fully stable, my CPU doesn't get higher than 61.5°C, which is still okay. Didn't have the time to fully stabilze higher memclocks, yet, but I actually don't wanna push my temps higher on air, so for now, I'll just leave my settings like that. But I'll try to push higher when switching to a full custom water cooling loop later this year.

'[OJR wrote:
;672955']1. I can have everything on AUTO and simply change VCORE to 1.35V for example. I reboot, go into Windows and the multiplier is stuck at 15.5
2. This exact issue is documented on the Crosshair VI HERO motherboard, and it is fixed in the latest BIOS 1501.

I also figured out those two things. The VCore gets applied, no matter what. But as you mentioned, you just get stuck at 15.5 when applying "too much" VCore or a multiplier higher than 37.
'[OJR wrote:
;672955']I am sure there is NOTHING wrong with the board, but the UEFI has an issue with certain Ryzen 7 1700 CPUs.
There have been no BIOS updates for this board in over 2 months.

The BIOS is still the initial release for this board. I think, it's not on the same status as the C6H is, yet. Neither do I think that's a faulty board. It's just the BIOS. They already fixed it for the C6H, so they just should release a fix for C6E as well.

Anyone from Asus reading this? Have I just wasted close to $600 on this motherboard?