cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router needs modem??? (Resolved)

ddmeltzer8
Level 7
Hello,awesome forum.
I just bought an ASUS AC55U - 4G LTE Modem Router but I cant get it working...
And somehow I came to suspect that I might actually need to connect a modem to it.Instead of just using a SIM card as I thought.The reason that I believe this is the error is a picture in the manual.(it actually came with a manual I can touch-very cool!)
I will be happy for all the help I can get since I dont know what what else to do and it cost me a nice chunk of money...

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

ElectroStingz
Level 9
Hello,

This one with a Sim card slot does not require a modem for 4G/3G operation.
What type of sim card are you using, a data sim or mobile phone PAYG sim?

Upon inserting the sim card, powering on, connected directly using a LAN port did the ASUS setup run when you tried to access a webpage or manually go to the router's address (192.168....)?

And you can also update the firmware manually if it is not using the latest version.

ElectroStingz wrote:
Hello,

Upon inserting the sim card, powering on, connected directly using a LAN port did the ASUS setup run when you tried to access a webpage or manually go to the router's address (192.168....)?

And you can also update the firmware manually if it is not using the latest version.

Thanks for getting back to me!
The SIM I`m using is a sim card I`ve used on another mobile router.And it works fine there.But maybe I need a "data" card.
I couldnt get it to connect to anything,all I got was a default page saying that the ethernet cable wasnt connected-which it was.

ElectroStingz wrote:
Hello,

It sent me to 192.168.1.1 and I got a message that the ethernet cable wasnt inserted right,even if it was.
I`m getting a new sim card in 2-3 days and will get back to u when I have tested it.
Thanks.

I'll keep an eye for your progress.
Some of the 4G routers the sim card makes a difference, for example in the UK we have a provider EE, their 4G data sims work ok.

ElectroStingz wrote:
Some of the 4G routers the sim card makes a difference, for example in the UK we have a provider EE, their 4G data sims work ok.

Thanks for helping.

ElectroStingz wrote:

Hi.I have just received a new card and everything is working as it should!
Thqanks for helpin me.
Stay classy.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi ddmeltzer8,

The AC55U has a built in 4G modem, if you would like to connect it to a cable modem, that is okay too.
The ASUS support team will be a better option for any further questions you may have. To contact support for ASUS networking products, please call 1-812-282-2787. Or email the ASUS support team at: networking_support@asus.com

To help provide ROG forum members a better place to discuss and find answers easier, this section was created specifically for ROG routers.

Thank you.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Hi ddmeltzer8,

The AC55U has a built in 4G modem, if you would like to connect it to a cable modem, that is okay too.
The ASUS support team will be a better option for any further questions you may have. To contact support for ASUS networking products, please call 1-812-282-2787. Or email the ASUS support team at: networking_support@asus.com

To help provide ROG forum members a better place to discuss and find answers easier, this section was created specifically for ROG routers.

Thank you.

The whole thread was shifted here by another moderator.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Hi ddmeltzer8,

Thank you.

This thread is now ready for deletion.
Thanks.