cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS - nVidia drivers cant be updated

jja100
Level 7
Hello fellow ROG users.
I hope to find some advice. I have a GL502VS-FY051T (6700HQ, bios:302).

Am I the only one having trouble installing newer nVidia drivers, than the one assigned by Asus on the download site (368.91/V21.21.13.6891 from August 2016)?
I have tried several other nVidia drivers, both official and those from the GL502VSK download site. The result is always the same:

I play a lot of GTA V, and with newer drivers, I get a lot of screen tearing, no matter what settings i use ingame and in the nVidia control panel. The end-result is always the same: the PC suddenly reboots with no BSOD or warning. And this isn't a temperature issue. Sometimes the reboot comes even before the fans speed up, and sometimes i can play an hour or two before it happens. There is no sign of failure in the eventlog.
I have tried installing Windows 10 from scratch (without Asus programs), and only installed new drivers and GTA V - the problem persists right untill I fall back to the 368.91 driver.
The PC runs great with the old nVidia driver, but it's getting annoying that such great hardware, must run on a year old gfx driver. I feel like i'm missing out on a lot of improvements. Any suggestions?

Also, it's like the fan-air runs underneath the enter-key. When the fans are spinning, it makes an annoying semi whistling sound, unless I press hard on the enter-key. Is there a solution for this, or is it just one of those design-flaws you have to live with?
3 REPLIES 3

link626
Level 7
there are holes in the metal under the keyboard where air can get through.

If you want to plug those holes, you'll need to remove the mobo.

Thank you for that keyboard info. Not sure i feel good about removing the mobo, but it's nice to know that it's possible 🙂

Just a quick follow-up, if anyone is in the same position as i was.

Ended up sending it in for repair. The systemboard was replaced, and now it runs fantastic - also with new drivers.