Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array NemesisChild PC Specs
    NemesisChild PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage #2WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X42
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
    Headset Logitech G Pro
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries
    OS Windows 10 Home x64 (UEFI)
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900AC

Quote Originally Posted by zebulon2 View Post
    I did not have the time to check, but it is quite easy to verify using checksums. I will try to do this (as I kept the original file) and report back here.
    Now another explanation would be that some settings are not completely reset when doing a BIOS upgrade and reset, but that would be peculiar. Are saved profiles erased when resetting the bios? there are quite a number of reports of issues with this BIOS as seen in the other thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...released/page4 and even the off/on/off bug has been described in various contexts (although the S4+S5 setting seems to be the most important one).
    Saved profiles are erased after any bios update. But they are left intact after clearing or resetting the CMOS.
    Intel i7 8700K@ 5.2GHz (Delidded)
    ASUS Maximus X Hero (Bios 1801)
    NZXT Kraken X42
    G.Skill TridentZ@ 4000MHz CL16 2x8GB
    SLI: 2x Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE@ 2025/2025MHz
    Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2
    Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage: WD Black 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 2TB
    EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

New ROGer Array zebulon2 PC Specs
    zebulon2 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VIII Gene
    ProcessorIntel 6700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX970 SC (04G-P4-1972-KR)
    Storage #1Samsung SM961 256MB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 PRO 512MB + HDDs Hitachi/Seagate
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U9S
    Power SupplyCorsair RM850i
    OS Arch Linux 64bit

Please note that I have the on/off/on issue despite ERP Ready is disabled. I am not using S4+S5 setting. So there are various causes for this.

zebulon2 PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 6700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R)
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U9S
    OS Arch Linux 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by emsir View Post
    Strange things are happening with Bios 3504. When I first updated to Bios 3504 I did have shuttoff/on issues when enabling S4/5 in ERp Ready. Went back to Bios 3401 as Asus recommended in a mail sent to me. Yesterday I went back to 3504 again, and guess what? No problem with S4/5. Everything work just fine.
    Very Strange, but as for now bios 3504 has no issues here.
    It is not related to S4+S5 on my machine, so there may be a 3rd factor hence the inconsitency you see here. Maybe this is related with the way the BIOS is flashed, and some settings or code which is not properly reset. I will try to revert and reflash at some point to see if I can fix this as well.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array ondersma80 PC Specs
    ondersma80 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero Alpha
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3000C15D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Sound CardXonar DSX
    MonitorPG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #2Assorted SSD & HDD
    CPU CoolerNH-D14
    Power SupplySilencer MK III 850W
    Keyboard G105
    Mouse G700S
    Headset/Speakers Bose Companion 5
    OS Windows 10 - I moved on from the technology of the previous decade.

It is not related to S4+S5 on my machine, so there may be a 3rd factor hence the inconsitency you see here. Maybe this is related with the way the BIOS is flashed, and some settings or code which is not properly reset.
    Probably this 3rd/other factor. Perhaps even board specific. There is inconsistency in how flashes are done - sometimes people get anomalies that can never be sorted while others can by reverting and clearing the settings and other voodoo while most never have problems at all. It seems the ASUS message in the first post has been proven to be rep-specific since 3504 is still available. ASUS saw no problem or reason significant enough to pull it. I thought it was suspicious seeing a recommendation to not use when the worst case scenario is a 5 second slower startup?

zebulon2 PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 6700K
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U9S
    OS Arch Linux 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by ondersma80 View Post
    I thought it was suspicious seeing a recommendation to not use when the worst case scenario is a 5 second slower startup?
    I reckon there is no other side issue than the on/off/on start procedure. Everything works fine performance and stability wise once the machine is started, it has to be said. So unless the on/off has some bad effects on drives (SSD or mechanical) this is a minor annoyance, and a recurrent one with Asus if you search on the net (it has been reported for years on older motherboards). But still it would be good to fix.

ASUS HQ Service Rep Array Bill@ASUS's Avatar

Hello all
    I see that emsir has not had this issue after downgrading to BIOS 3401 and back to 3501.
    If any one who's still experiencing this issue after performing emsir's method
    Please tell me the following information:
    01. your build SPEC
    02. your setup steps that triggered this issue?
    03. With only RAM, and CPU installed, does this issue still persist?
    04. Any other BIOS settings, especially on XMP. A screenshot or photo of the settings screen would be best.

Hello aceisme and Three of Twelve
    thank you for your information, can you help answer question number 3 and more info on your XMP settings? A screenshot or photo of the settings screen would be best.
    Thank you

Hello zebulon2
    thank you for your information, can you help answer question number 2 & 3 and more info on your XMP settings? A screenshot or photo of the settings screen would be best.
    Thank you

zebulon2 PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 6700K
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U9S
    OS Arch Linux 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@ASUS View Post
    Hello zebulon2
    thank you for your information, can you help answer question number 2 & 3 and more info on your XMP settings? A screenshot or photo of the settings screen would be best.
    Thank you
    Hello Bill,

thanks for the feedback.

I have done some extensive tests and found out that the on/off/on from cold issue (abbreviated OO later) was linked to XMP settings, but also on the way UEFI defaults and reset is done, leading to a possible bug in the CMOs reset procedure and settings display.

If I use the Clear CMOS button at the rear of the board (number 1, manual page 2-13), then I get the OO issue. I looked at the UEFI options, AI Overclock Tuner is set to Auto, and ErP Ready is set to Disabled (pics below).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170920_101608.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	236.7 KB 
ID:	67538 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170920_101524.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	67539

Then if I go to the Exit menu and "Load Optimized Defaults", save and exit (the dialog says the configuration has not changed), then I do not have the OO issue anymore! But from there if I use the Clear CMOS button, then the issue is back.

If I Clear CMOS (so that I have the OO issue) and then set AI Overclock to Manual, I do not have the OO bug anymore.

If I start from "Load Optimized Defaults" (no OO issue), and then enable XMP settings (see picture below), then save and exit, then I get the OO issue.

Name:	20170920_105917.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	67540
    But I then put the XMP settings back to Auto (picture below), I do not have the OO issue anymore.

Name:	20170920_110201.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	67541

1. In my case, activating XMP leads to OO, setting to Auto in the UEFI by hand corrects it, but not when using the Clear CMOs button.
    2. It looks as if the Clear CMOS settings and the Load Optimized Defaults in the Exit Menu do not lead to the same configuration set, although there is nothing to differenciate them within the UEFI settings.

So to summarise:
    Clear CMOS button -> OO
    Clear CMOS -> Load Optimized Defaults -> No OO
    Clear CMOS -> AI Overclock Tuner set to Manual -> No OO
    Load Optimized Defaults -> No OO
    Load Optimized Defaults -> Clear CMOS -> OO
    Load Optimized Defaults -> AI Overclock Tuner set to XMP -> OO
    Load Optimized Defaults -> AI Overclock Tuner set to XMP -> AI Overclock Tuner set to Auto -> No OO
    Load Optimized Defaults -> AI Overclock Tuner set to XMP -> AI Overclock Tuner set to Auto -> Clear CMOS Button -> OO

I have not tried to play with ErP Ready settings.

Can I recommend others to see if they have same issue when using the Clear CMOs Button, compared to Loading the Optimized Defaults please?
    I hope this will help to squash the bug.
    Last edited by zebulon2; 09-20-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: new info

New ROGer Array

Hello Bill,

thanks for the feedback.

I have done some extensive tests and found out that the on/off/on from cold issue (abbreviated OO later) was linked to XMP settings, but also on the way UEFI defaults and reset is done, leading to a possible bug in the CMOs reset procedure and settings display.

If I use the Clear CMOS button at the rear of the board (number 1, manual page 2-13), then I get the OO issue. I looked at the UEFI options, AI Overclock Tuner is set to Auto, and ErP Ready is set to Disabled (pics below).
    I also have something like that... But if i do a clear cmos when getting 00 it always works for one boot cycle again. After restart ->00 again.

might be actually related to xmp setting, cause i always activate that. But i don't think it is the only reason. If i recall correctly, enabling only that gives me no problem. But changing fanspeeds and setting a fixed voltage for cpu almost guarantees that error for me. I went back to a better version.

zebulon2 PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 6700K
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U9S
    OS Arch Linux 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Georg1987 View Post
    I also have something like that... But if i do a clear cmos when getting 00 it always works for one boot cycle again.
    You mean, from unplugged? I never had this, I mean from unplugged, once no OO, then always OO. As you mention, this may be multi-factorial and linked to voltage adjustments?

I also tried to set AI Overclock Tuner to manual and set manually DDR4-3000 and various voltages for the DRAM: 1.488V is the one automatically set by the BIOS. I tried 1.35V and 1.43V (as they are the values that would be used with XMP). No OO this time. Only have OO either using XMP or the Clear CMOS buton! But there is definitely something buggy when resetting the BIOS using the button vs loading the optimized defaults.

zebulon2 PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 6700K
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U9S
    OS Arch Linux 64bit

@Bill: I have another piece of information. I just reverted to BIOS 3401 to see how it behaves.
    The funny thing is that after a Clear CMOS (using the button) I get the OO issue! The reason why I thought I did not have the OO issue with 3401, is that unlike 3504, I do not get OO if I load the optimized defaults and then set the AI Overclock Tuning to XMP (which triggers OO with 3504). Hence I never observed it with 3401 as i never used the clear CMOS button with 3401 before.

So to summarise:

Clear CMOS button -> OO
    Clear CMOS -> Load Optimized Defaults -> No OO
    Load Optimized Defaults -> No OO
    Load Optimized Defaults -> Clear CMOS -> OO
    Load Optimized Defaults -> AI Overclock Tuner set to XMP -> No OO (3401)/OO(3504, possibly 3503)

So there is still a funny business with the clear CMOS button effect compared to loading the optimized defaults, which lead to different outcomes despite loading defaults after clear CMOS says that no settings were changed. This is not the case it seems.
    I hope this can help.
    Last edited by zebulon2; 09-21-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast