Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    Please do wish this on us these notebooks are big enough already with out putting in desktop component Go on over to the GX forum maybe if its going to happen it will happen with that series.
    u mena, if i will write this question again there then some electronics/hardware engineer from asus will see my post and will answer?

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

But you're not interested in hauling around a 2-foot-wide, 3-inch thick, 17-pound laptop if it can give you desktop performance/compatibility ... lol?
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ROG Enthusiast Array

It's ALL about energy!

A cpu/gpu is going to dissipate a certain amount of energy (heat) while running under a given load. This is known as TDP or Total Dissipated Power. Big gaming rigs are big because they need to dissipate LOTS of heat, far more than a laptop could reasonable dissipate without fans that constantly sounded like a hurricane.

The TDP of desktop processors is often double or more compared to mobile variants of the same chip. Yes they are a fair bit more powerful than their mobile brethren because of this. The portability requirement of a laptop means that they don't have the internal space for huge heatsinks and huge, high volume fans to remove all that heat. The buying public would not accept that.

When companies go the other direction even identical chips don't perform as well. Take the Macbooks for instance. They are designed to be a slim fashion statement and for that reason they do not have the necessary breathing room to keep their CPU's from having to thermally throttle. The same CPU will perform better in one of these gaming laptops because they are capable of removing the heat far better than a MacBook. I think Apple has begun to notice the are losing power users because of this form over function approach.

I would not expect to see any reasonable laptop company produce a machine with desktop chips in it. There's simply no room for the chips to breath. I wouldn't expect some weird niche laptop that did this to last very long either.

I'm an electronics engineer, just not from ASUS. :-)
    Last edited by ST9752; 09-17-2017 at 07:36 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    But you're not interested in hauling around a 2-foot-wide, 3-inch thick, 17-pound laptop if it can give you desktop performance/compatibility ... lol?
    well, there are already such laptops and people are buying it. i am also strong enough to haul such a laptop in a backpack

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by ST9752 View Post
    It's ALL about energy!

A cpu/gpu is going to dissipate a certain amount of energy (heat) while running under a given load. This is known as TDP or Total Dissipated Power. Big gaming rigs are big because they need to dissipate LOTS of heat, far more than a laptop could reasonable dissipate without fans that constantly sounded like a hurricane.

The TDP of desktop processors is often double or more compared to mobile variants of the same chip. Yes they are a fair bit more powerful than their mobile brethren because of this. The portability requirement of a laptop means that they don't have the internal space for huge heatsinks and huge, high volume fans to remove all that heat. The buying public would not accept that.

When companies go the other direction even identical chips don't perform as well. Take the Macbooks for instance. They are designed to be a slim fashion statement and for that reason they do not have the necessary breathing room to keep their CPU's from having to thermally throttle. The same CPU will perform better in one of these gaming laptops because they are capable of removing the heat far better than a MacBook. I think Apple has begun to notice the are losing power users because of this form over function approach.

I would not expect to see any reasonable laptop company produce a machine with desktop chips in it. There's simply no room for the chips to breath. I wouldn't expect some weird niche laptop that did this to last very long either.

I'm an electronics engineer, just not from ASUS. :-)
    thanks for answering. i like ur answer too. smb has also mentioned that the issue is around TDP.
    beside that i have also checked some reviews comparing clevo laptops (having desktop hardware) with rog laptops and i would like to say that asus rog laptops are a strong opponent given that was having almost the same or sometimes even better performance.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

not likely, if you have any chance it will be with the GX Series they are not going to do this with the G series do not wish such a contraption on us. https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisp...ming-Notebooks
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2