cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ASUS plan to release laptops with intel desktop CPUs and desktop Nvidia GPUs?

monroe
Level 7
hi,
does ASUS have some plans to release some laptops with intel desktop CPUs and maybe desktop Nvidia GPUs?
15 REPLIES 15

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Isn't that what they're doing now? :<

I mean the G752's seem very desktop equivalent, especially with the 10 series GPU's and their CPU seems pretty similar HQ vs MQ.

You don't mean formfactor do you?

Korth
Level 14
ASUS already offers lots of laptops with Intel CPUs and NVIDIA GPUs lol.

No laptops are built with desktop CPUs. Not by ASUS, not by anyone else.

Laptop motherboards aren't as standardized as desktop motherboards, they're somewhat consistent in terms of form-factor but the manufacturers have a lot of flexibility. They basically design the motherboard and daughterboards and other PCBs along with the chassis everything fits inside, they can add/remove ports and slots and features just like they do across different desktop motherboard models.

Intel mobile CPUs are sometimes soldered (permanently) in place on board, and sometimes use some variety of "socket". But either way they are not physically or electrically compatible with Intel desktop CPUs. They might have similar Intel model numbers and specs to their desktop counterparts but they're aren't at all interchangeable. They also tend to selected/binned with consideration towards power efficiencies.

Laptop GPUs are often MXM cards. They can be swapped or upgraded. But there are numerous little proprietary differences and issues between them and the motherboards they plug into. It's often easier to just leave them in place and treat them as "permanent" hardware.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:

No laptops are built with desktop CPUs. Not by ASUS, not by anyone else.

You can buy some Clevo models, with desktop CPU:
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9172-clevo-p775dm3-g.html

Ifrin wrote:

This is correct. Both Sager and Clevo both offer laptops that have Intel "K" processors in them which are desktop CPU's. As far as Asus offering them, I havent seen any to date, even there very high end GX800 has a mobile "HK" variant.

Very few laptops use desktop parts because the power increases dramatically with those. The performance difference normally isnt significant enough to justify the extra power needed.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

MrRuckus wrote:

Very few laptops use desktop parts because the power increases dramatically with those. The performance difference normally isnt significant enough to justify the extra power needed.

u have highlighted also a very good point about mobile CPUs vs desktp CPUs.

i have read somewhere that in the future (already starting with its 8th genertion) intel cpus, desktop ones will have more cores that the mobile ones. so i think that the deskotp ones will have better performance. so maybe asus will reconsider the option of latpops with desktop CPUs.

Please do wish this on us these notebooks are big enough already with out putting in desktop component Go on over to the GX forum maybe if its going to happen it will happen with that series.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Please do wish this on us these notebooks are big enough already with out putting in desktop component Go on over to the GX forum maybe if its going to happen it will happen with that series.

u mena, if i will write this question again there then some electronics/hardware engineer from asus will see my post and will answer?

not likely, if you have any chance it will be with the GX Series they are not going to do this with the G series do not wish such a contraption on us. https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?218-GX-Series-Gaming-Notebooks
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Ifrin wrote:

+rep

Thanx for the info. I haven't had a Clevo/Sager for a long, long time, lol, got sucked into all the fancy gaming laptop models everybody else makes.

It's hard to find specific info about the motherboards used in these machines. Chipset and processor (and sometimes manufacturer) are noted, but nothing else.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]