cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix X299-XE ??!!

BattleRaT
Level 7
It looks the VRM cooler is fixed now. A bit of ninja release...

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X299-XE-GAMING/

Where/when can we buy this mobo?
14 REPLIES 14

CSN7
Level 7
If I'm honest here, the "new look" with the fins not only cools better, it also looks much better than a massive brick, too. But I feel like Asus should man up and provide the upgraded VRM block for free to all customers who bought the original strix. Else I would feel pretty ripped off getting my board updated within weeks of my purchase thinking something can't be right when in fact vrm temps can become not right with the old design quickly while using one of the bigger chips.

xarot
Level 11
What a bummer. This will be the last time I'll be an early adopter on a new platform. Of course I would've went for the beefier model if I had known this, although I am going to get the R6E next.

My 7900X is maybe the worst OCer I have seen online so far (pending Intel Tuning Plane) and my first Strix died. :cool:
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

CSN7
Level 7
Feels bad man 😞

Wow. Just got this 😞

Chino
Level 15

SGMRock
Level 9
how does the Strix this board compare to the Apex? I haven't upgraded yet still planning, was waiting for the Extreme but I saw this Strix XE version today too and thought the active cooling on the VRM would be nice to own so maybe I wait for this one now? So hard to decide, so many MB's now. It used to be much easier, there were like 3 models total for a CPU release 10 years ago, normally just added features on each of the 3. Now they have so many I have decided to never buy right at release again if I can help it.

I like the fact the APEX is suppose to have better RAM performance though. Also the Apex has all the added overclocking buttons on the MB I got really used to with my Rampage V Extreme.
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex 2002 BIOS / Intel i9-7900X / G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 17-17-17-37
LG 38" 38GL950G-B Ultrawide / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid/ Sound Blaster AE-5
Corsair H115i Pro CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 / Corsair Arctic White T780 Case

Brighttail
Level 11
Aside from the heatsink fins, is there anything different from the original Strix and the XE version???

Interesting that this comes with an ROG 40x40mm fan. I would think that their Extreme and Apex should have come with the fans as well.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
Aside from the heatsink fins, is there anything different from the original Strix and the XE version???

Interesting that this comes with an ROG 40x40mm fan. I would think that their Extreme and Apex should have come with the fans as well.

Same as original. For the apex and extreme, I didn't want to cause more delays. Most guys are looking at waterblocks anyway, plus anyone that cares about aesthetics won't be using that bracket. The airflow in good chases is enough to carry heat away.

Xe model is a bit better for hcc cpus than the original. Given those beasts are only just being released, the board schedule makes sense.