Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC@ASUS View Post
    Apologies for the delay, requests for replacements have dwindled which means more time to test and tune the Centurion for various games, yay! We have created a new test firmware to improve the subwoofer, side, and rear channels. Have a try and let us know how you like it.

Download here:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Headphones-H...Desk_Download/

I received some good suggestions for how to redirect or merge channels in order to optimize bass. However, since support for surround sound varies from game to game, it is difficult to provide something that is one-size-fits-all. From example, Prey does not utilize the center channel at all, while in Dirt 4 you'll depend on it for much of the game. The subwoofer (0.1) is generally used to work exclusively for LFE (low-frequency effects) on its own or supplement other channels (especially surround), it works fine for movies but unpredictable in games, some never even use that channel at all. We do hope everyone can benefit from all 10 drivers offering a full 7.1-channel experience, changing channels around will defeat the purpose of having true 7.1.

It would be helpful to provide feedback for the games or movies you have tested. This way, everyone can see which games works well and which ones not so well in case anyone is uncertain whether their Centurion has issues.
    Trying the new firmware, i can say the sides and rear sound a lot more balanced HOWEVER it's the tinny effect that's still there If you look at my thread i found a solution which you could(SHOULD) implement into the sound studio software i have the subwoofer enabled only on the sides and rears with a cut off of 200hz it sound so much bassier and no more tinny effect. What i'm saying is if a game does not support a specific channel, ALLOW channel routing of the sub to individual channels. Please reply to what you think!

Administrator Array MasterC@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XtraArrow View Post
    Trying the new firmware, i can say the sides and rear sound a lot more balanced HOWEVER it's the tinny effect that's still there If you look at my thread i found a solution which you could(SHOULD) implement into the sound studio software i have the subwoofer enabled only on the sides and rears with a cut off of 200hz it sound so much bassier and no more tinny effect. What i'm saying is if a game does not support a specific channel, ALLOW channel routing of the sub to individual channels. Please reply to what you think!
    Thanks for your valuable feedback. We will investigate and continue to improve wherever needed. Please keep in mind that extra care is required when tuning bass. Excessive vibrations from 10 drivers working simultaneously can cause undesirable sound, especially when they are packed together in close proximity and in confined space. What may sound great in one game may not in another, so extensive testing is necessary. It'll be great to get feedback from everyone for specific content.

ROG Enthusiast Array

This might be a useful resource. It is a list of games, the number of channels, the API etc...
    http://satsun.org/audio/

Bethesda states Fallout 4 for example supports 5 channel but no sub or LFE out. And running the game at the default settings, that is not what shows as active, 7 channels an no sub Is what I show so apparently even Bethesda is confused... http://help.bethesda.net/app/answers...round-sound%3F

I'm also a bit concerned about adding 'sub bass' output to all the drivers when playing stereo sources like music. Music is designed to be output via two sound sources not multiple drivers. As as said earlier balancing out multiple drivers output for a stereo source without negatively impacting quality would be a real challenge. What seems to be the issue to me is the low frequency balance in surround scenarios. I don't think the idea should be to add bass to the other drivers but that the LFE output needs to follow the sound stage in as far as intensity. As LFE is less directional than higher frequencies, this should be fixable. This never firmware is better. Music...it's interesting but I swear the sound stage has moved slightly to the rear putting the vocals a bit more prominent. I do not use any of the vocal enhancement in the software. I'm not sure it that is better or worse...definitely a difference though.
    Last edited by HeavyHemi; 02-01-2018 at 07:29 AM.

New ROGer Array

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyHemi View Post
    This might be a useful resource. It is a list of games, the number of channels, the API etc...
    http://satsun.org/audio/

Bethesda states Fallout 4 for example supports 5 channel but no sub or LFE out. And running the game at the default settings, that is not what shows as active, 7 channels an no sub Is what I show so apparently even Bethesda is confused... http://help.bethesda.net/app/answers...round-sound%3F

I'm also a bit concerned about adding 'sub bass' output to all the drivers when playing stereo sources like music. Music is designed to be output via two sound sources not multiple drivers. As as said earlier balancing out multiple drivers output for a stereo source without negatively impacting quality would be a real challenge. What seems to be the issue to me is the low frequency balance in surround scenarios. I don't think the idea should be to add bass to the other drivers but that the LFE output needs to follow the sound stage in as far as intensity. As LFE is less directional than higher frequencies, this should be fixable. This never firmware is better. Music...it's interesting but I swear the sound stage has moved slightly to the rear putting the vocals a bit more prominent. I do not use any of the vocal enhancement in the software. I'm not sure it that is better or worse...definitely a difference though.
    If it's not possible to have the other drivers on in stereo mode, we need the sub woofer at least. When i had my side and rear channels on i used them for my highs but the volume was lowered around -20db.

ROG Enthusiast Array

If it's not possible to have the other drivers on in stereo mode, we need the sub woofer at least. When i had my side and rear channels on i used them for my highs but the volume was lowered around -20db.
    The sub woofer for what? What I think we can agree on is some way to add more control selection. I think we need to be careful that individual's sound preferences do not become codified in the driver or firmware. I believe what we need are more options over control of the speakers and sound. The default should always be as neutral and faithful to the source as possible. Listening preference should be options to adjust IMO. The issue with surround that sticks out the most to me compared to when I was using the Phoebus 7.1 with the Razer Tiamat is vocal localization. It was far better on the Tiamat. When you walked around someone and they were talking, you could close your eyes and spin around and have clearly defined direction. There literally none of the shifting tone and volume as the vocals move around. The Centurion is significantly worse (IMO) while some environmental sounds are good. Something in the way they are processing the signal isn't right. It has to be for there to be such a difference across a wide variety of titles. It would be nice to have a 5.1 option too.
    Last edited by HeavyHemi; 02-03-2018 at 07:54 AM.

New ROGer Array

The sub woofer for what? What I think we can agree on is some way to add more control selection. I think we need to be careful that individual's sound preferences do not become codified in the driver or firmware. I believe what we need are more options over control of the speakers and sound. The default should always be as neutral and faithful to the source as possible. Listening preference should be options to adjust IMO. The issue with surround that sticks out the most to me compared to when I was using the Phoebus 7.1 with the Razer Tiamat is vocal localization. It was far better on the Tiamat. When you walked around someone and they were talking, you could close your eyes and spin around and have clearly defined direction. There literally none of the shifting tone and volume as the vocals move around. The Centurion is significantly worse (IMO) while some environmental sounds are good. Something in the way they are processing the signal isn't right. It has to be for there to be such a difference across a wide variety of titles. It would be nice to have a 5.1 option too.
    I agree with you 100% which is why i said we need at least 2.1. I really don't understand why you'd sell a pair of headphones with a .1 channel on not be able to use to it as there is rarely any 7.1 games. I have now configured a custom software to use only front channels and the sub, i have the fronts cut off at 20hz and i use the sub @ 60hz. it sounds incredible. Only if you heard what the sub is capable of you'd see what i'm saying. Head over to my forum i created and just try it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I agree with you 100% which is why i said we need at least 2.1. I really don't understand why you'd sell a pair of headphones with a .1 channel on not be able to use to it as there is rarely any 7.1 games. I have now configured a custom software to use only front channels and the sub, i have the fronts cut off at 20hz and i use the sub @ 60hz. it sounds incredible. Only if you heard what the sub is capable of you'd see what i'm saying. Head over to my forum i created and just try it.
    I'm old school. My stereo listening setup is a pair of original owner early 80's vintage JBL L100T powered by the same vintage Kenwood M2A. 220 watts RMS at 0.0002 % distortion from DC to 100khz. I know what subs are capable of. I just think they don't really have a place in music but can be used to great effect in games and other media.

New ROGer Array

I'm old school. My stereo listening setup is a pair of original owner early 80's vintage JBL L100T powered by the same vintage Kenwood M2A. 220 watts RMS at 0.0002 % distortion from DC to 100khz. I know what subs are capable of. I just think they don't really have a place in music but can be used to great effect in games and other media.
    We're talking about headphones, Having the Fronts Lows/Bass sent to the subwoofer will take stress off the front. Again, we're talking headphones so small drivers which cannot produce that low frequencies, with the sub, i'm hearing 25hz!!! pretty damn impressive.

ROG Enthusiast Array

We're talking about headphones, Having the Fronts Lows/Bass sent to the subwoofer will take stress off the front. Again, we're talking headphones so small drivers which cannot produce that low frequencies, with the sub, i'm hearing 25hz!!! pretty damn impressive.
    You certainly can hear down to 20hz with headphones. The top of the line headphones don't use them. I'm sorry but this is what I mean by peoples preference. You probably like huge booming overdriven bass which rattles the trim off the doors... ...which isn't how the music was intended to sound. Believe me, with my L100T's I can knock pictures off the wall.

New ROGer Array

You certainly can hear down to 20hz with headphones. The top of the line headphones don't use them. I'm sorry but this is what I mean by peoples preference. You probably like huge booming overdriven bass which rattles the trim off the doors... ...which isn't how the music was intended to sound. Believe me, with my L100T's I can knock pictures off the wall.
    I've also got a pair of certain Vega xls215s paired up with a 12" sub (lw12x).. whether it's booming bass or not. Without a decent bass driver, music will sound incomplete and poor unless you listen to music without much bass but that's all preference. I think we can both agree on that this is obviously based on preference so they should at least look into it and maybe add it as an option.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast