cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Strix GTX 1070 PSU question

mojo187
Level 7
Hi I bought the GPU stated above and if you can check my PC Spec, i am running with a Corsair TX550 Gold PSU. so far my pc is stable even after overclocking it. But i am wondering if its a better choice if i upgrade my PSU to a higher wattage? My GTX1070 so far havent been able to overclock much. Standard Out of the box factoary overclocks works but anyting higher than 1880 on the Core seems to crash. although i suspect its due to the Power supply is not supplying enough to the GPU when overclock. Is there a way to know if the PSU is not supplying enough to the GPU?
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi mojo187

The GTX 1070 calls for a minimum of a 500w psu so you should be fine.

There is a Strix 1070 overclocking guide in my signature at the bottom of my post if you'd like to read through it. My ROG Strix 1070 doesn't overclock very well on the core either but the memory overclocks pretty far.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi mojo187

The GTX 1070 calls for a minimum of a 500w psu so you should be fine.

There is a Strix 1070 overclocking guide in my signature at the bottom of my post if you'd like to read through it. My ROG Strix 1070 doesn't overclock very well on the core either but the memory overclocks pretty far.

thanks nate, I am asking because I noticed that everytime the voltage goes above 1.08 the gpu would crash. if it stays at 1.07 seems to be stable. I've also notice that it go as high up to 1.09.is that normal? gpu prefcap seems reporting 'vrel & pwr'. voltage also fluctuates and doesn't stick to the intended Volts. Pascal related?

Nate152
Yep, voltage and core speed fluctuation is normal with Pascal, it's gpu boost 3.0 at work and if your temps are low enough it will boost past the rated clock speeds.

Stock voltage is 1.063v max voltage is 1.093v.

It's hard to say if it's your psu or the gpu itself causing the crash. Can you test the gpu in another pc or do you have another psu to test with?

mojo187
Level 7
I see,ok so that confirms my suspicion on the pascal. my Temps is between 66 to 75 over clock 1880@100% power+120% target. im guessing it's normal. I've reached 1890 but it crashes as soon as it hits the 1.08/1.09v...sometimes is stutter balck screen and then resumes.

yeah,im thinking of doing the swap and try other PC. problem is I'm kinda like a hermit. no one around me into building pc. that's why I'm thinking of going the expensive route and buy and try.

Nate152
Well you could always upgrade your psu and if the problem persists, you know it's the gpu.

EVGA Supernova's are quality psu's and some come with a 10 yr. warranty.

They are a bit pricey.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438057&cm_re=supernova_p2-_-17-438-057-_-P...

panzlock
Level 12
That's a good PSU recommendation, right there. EVGA P2's are quality Super Flower builds. And on top of that EVGA has a great RMA record if something goes wrong.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

mojo187
Level 7
Thanks nate, i shall think about the solution to my problem. I have an old cheapo 500w psu, maybe i can compare using that.