cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel RST drivers for Maximus VII Formula or Win 10 drivers?

flyinion
Level 12
I posted this in the ROG software section a week ago but I think that was the wrong place since it got zero responses. Hoping for more luck here. I posted it there because I was asking about the officially provided Intel RST driver package on the Asus site but I think that forum is apparently for ROG software only and not all the software Asus provides. oooops........

So, I just reinstalled win 10 on my maximus VII formula due to getting my first SSD and the Samsung Magician software for it mentioned that the RST drivers I have are out of date and not compatible with some of its features. It gave a link to get new ones from Intel but those said my platform was not supported when I tried to install.

Should I just rip out the RST software and drivers and use the basic Microsoft drivers? The latest ones on the Asus site are what I have installed but they're from 2 years ago! I'm not running raid but installed the Intel drivers because I thought using mfr drivers was always better.
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Personally I don't bother with the RST software since I'm not running a RAID array.

Ok thanks. I think I'm going to go ahead an uninstall the Intel drivers then and see what happens. Worst case I can always put them back in. Well, it doesn't uninstall them just the software, so it's just switching the controller to the MS driver.

flyinion
Level 12
Uninstalled the software and it actually took the drivers with it (contrary to what I read somewhere) and on reboot was back to the default MS drivers. All seems well. Samsung software is not complaining about compatibility any longer.

I had the same exact issue. After I installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver version 14.5.0.1081 from ASUS website, it replaced the Windows "Standard SATA AHCI Controller version 10.0.15063.332 that Win 10 had installed. But Samsung Magician said that the IRST version is not compatible with Magician, and that some functions in Magician CANNOT be run. It sent me to the Intel website to obtain a more recent IRST version, which turned out to be vers 15.8.1.1007. That would not install on my platform. So I took your advice and uninstalled IRST vers 14.5.0.1081, and the uninstall rolled back to Windows "Standard SATA AHCI Controller version 10.0.15063.332 . Now Samsung Magician is very happy. I did not intend to use IRST for RAID, but it did give nice technical stats on the drives. However, there must have been conflicts between IRST and Magician in terms of hooking those stats or something.

Puffnstuff
Level 10
I also noticed that magician 5.1 refuses to work with rst so I rolled back to 5.0 which works fine.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932