cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG PG279Q tiny spots that don't get black

N3xiz
Level 7
After playing the panel lottery with an Acer Monitor and the ROG PG278QR I was fed up and decided to buy this monitor from a local store so I could check if it was okay before buying.

As far as I could tell everything was just as you could expect from an ips panel but while cleaning and checking for stuck/dead pixels I noticed really tiny spots that don't get completely black and rather stay in some rgb color, they are mostly around the frame.

The strange thing is that they are much smaller than a pixel and can only be seen from like max 5 cm away and even then only when looking for it (I got really paranoid about that after having had to RMA 7 monitors so far beacuse of dead/stuck pixels).

I checked for dead/stuck pixels using http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php and tried if it was a stuck subpixel by comparing it to a one pixel image from http://www.1x1px.me/ . From normal viewing distance there are really no visible stuck or dead pixels and even stranger is that this tiny spots can only be seen on pitch black, not on R, G, B or white and not even when moving a RGB or white pixel on the spot.

I post this only because I am really curious what that could be, I noticed this on my RMA'd PG278QR too, so is it something thats normal on this Panels? Maybe light from between the pixels or dust even? I am definitely not going to RMA another time but I am really mad because of the overall bad quality of todays panels and guess I will live with it until oled becomes a thing...
3 REPLIES 3

Mamosha
Level 7
N3xiz wrote:
After playing the panel lottery with an Acer Monitor and the ROG PG278QR I was fed up and decided to buy this monitor from a local store so I could check if it was okay before buying.

As far as I could tell everything was just as you could expect from an ips panel but while cleaning and checking for stuck/dead pixels I noticed really tiny spots that don't get completely black and rather stay in some rgb color, they are mostly around the frame.

The strange thing is that they are much smaller than a pixel and can only be seen from like max 5 cm away and even then only when looking for it (I got really paranoid about that after having had to RMA 7 monitors so far beacuse of dead/stuck pixels).

I checked for dead/stuck pixels using http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php and tried if it was a stuck subpixel by comparing it to a one pixel image from http://www.1x1px.me/ . From normal viewing distance there are really no visible stuck or dead pixels and even stranger is that this tiny spots can only be seen on pitch black, not on R, G, B or white and not even when moving a RGB or white pixel on the spot.

I post this only because I am really curious what that could be, I noticed this on my RMA'd PG278QR too, so is it something thats normal on this Panels? Maybe light from between the pixels or dust even? I am definitely not going to RMA another time but I am really mad because of the overall bad quality of todays panels and guess I will live with it until oled becomes a thing...

Hello i have same problem! Only at dark colour i see tiny spots sometimes they are gone. For fixing it just need little bit to push by the rag. So did you fix it or know about this problem? It is 3rd monitor 2nd from asus and one was from AOC Agon with same problem -_-

Mamosha wrote:
Hello i have same problem! Only at dark colour i see tiny spots sometimes they are gone. For fixing it just need little bit to push by the rag. So did you fix it or know about this problem? It is 3rd monitor 2nd from asus and one was from AOC Agon with same problem -_-

Finally a response :D, I ended up with an RMA and got a replacement monitor shipped to me but it was even worse with that one plus the panel was completely loose, luckily Asus did not require me to send in my monitor first.

Like you mentioned I managed to rub the spots out to a minimum that I don't see in normal use or games, still it annoys me but I would not recommend to RMA if your screen is still acceptable because it is likely that you get an even worse monitor. I guess I will live with it, also I searched for alternatives like you and really all 144Hz G-Sync 2k Monitors use the exact same panel from AU Optronics, guess there really is no way around their bs panels unless you sacrifice G-Sync. Only Samsung and LG produce their own panels but I have no experience with their products and since I won't get my money back I'm pretty much screwed.

Unfortunately I still don't know what that spots are and neither did anyone in other forums I posted.

PS: My friend got the exact same monitor and his is fine, probably a bad badge of panels. Guess I just have no luck... 😞

N3xiz wrote:
Finally a response :D, I ended up with an RMA and got a replacement monitor shipped to me but it was even worse with that one plus the panel was completely loose, luckily Asus did not require me to send in my monitor first.

Like you mentioned I managed to rub the spots out to a minimum that I don't see in normal use or games, still it annoys me but I would not recommend to RMA if your screen is still acceptable because it is likely that you get an even worse monitor. I guess I will live with it, also I searched for alternatives like you and really all 144Hz G-Sync 2k Monitors use the exact same panel from AU Optronics, guess there really is no way around their bs panels unless you sacrifice G-Sync. Only Samsung and LG produce their own panels but I have no experience with their products and since I won't get my money back I'm pretty much screwed.

Unfortunately I still don't know what that spots are and neither did anyone in other forums I posted.

PS: My friend got the exact same monitor and his is fine, probably a bad badge of panels. Guess I just have no luck... 😞

I Cannot live with this S**t and I take my money back and buy pg278qr on TN Panel. I hope on that panel will be all ok.

New:
The TN panel had same problem! So i take my money back! I cannot play with this pixels! Its anoyying me! So ASUS go to hell! You take more than 1k dollars for yours "premium monitors" but quality of this **** is horrible!