cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRAM - Single Vs Dual Speeds?

Upgrade01
Level 7
Hey Everyone,

The last couple of post I have made were pertaining to running memory @ 3200mhz. After my last post I started to dive into this issue more and found something interesting and I'm not sure what to make of it. Back when Ryzen first came I was not able to run my memory higher than 2666mhz but after a few bios updates I am now able to achieve 2933mhz. Someone mentioned in my last post that maybe one of my sticks of memory might be bad and that is when I start doing more thorough testing.

First, I set bios to defaults and just changed my RAM speeds to 3200mhz and of course I get a no POST. I then tried switching memory slots from A2 & B2 to A1 & B1 to see if maybe it was slot related issue and still no post @ 3200mhz but I was still able to get 2933mhz. After that, I took out one stick so that only one module was left in the system and BAM! @ 3200mhz I get a POST and bios reports the correct speeds. I then swap the memory and ran the other stick by itself and at first I didn't get a POST but after another reboot the system was running at desired speeds and after several reboots the system still was running at said speed. I then shut down the system and put back both sticks. Now we are back to square one with No POST at 3200mhz only 2933. I'm trying to figure out if there something potentially wrong with my RAM, motherboard, or could it be more of a compatibility issue that future bios updates will fix? Any suggestions would be great. Also, I did try both auto timings and voltage and manually setting them and got the same results.

Thank you for all your help.
3 REPLIES 3

andyliu
Level 9
well, glad that you took the advice and tested the ram and the ram slot. It looks like one of the ram is more sensitive than the other?
you can try either increase the ram voltage/ram boot voltage(1.4v), and increase the SOC voltage (1.1v).
you can refer to the document for safety voltage and work your way down
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91368-AMD-OC-guide-thread
can also loose your timing a bit and work your way down.

if you already tried those and budget allow, maybe grab another kit to test?

Oh and I am not sure where I read, but try to change memory fail count from auto to number between 3 (min)- 8 (AMD recommended) it might also help on the memory training?

andyliu wrote:
well, glad that you took the advice and tested the ram and the ram slot. It looks like one of the ram is more sensitive than the other?
you can try either increase the ram voltage/ram boot voltage(1.4v), and increase the SOC voltage (1.1v).
you can refer to the document for safety voltage and work your way down
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91368-AMD-OC-guide-thread
can also loose your timing a bit and work your way down.

if you already tried those and budget allow, maybe grab another kit to test?

Oh and I am not sure where I read, but try to change memory fail count from auto to number between 3 (min)- 8 (AMD recommended) it might also help on the memory training?

I have looked all over the bios trying to find the memory fail count settings and I can't find it anywhere, please advise

andyliu
Level 9
sorry, it should be mem over clock fail count, it basically will train the memory based on number of times you put in

I dont have issue (except maybe fail to train once a while), so I just leave it on auto