cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Edition 10 NIC's AT vs V

Qoto159
Level 7
I have owned this from release AND JUST now noticed this. I knew it had built in wifi and GBe NIC. BUT NOT 2 ENTIRELY DIFFERENT Network adapters. I figured they were more of a fail over design. Like in you can quickly swap nics no drivers needed if one had an issue. The reason I am bringing this up is because I cant seem to find one article on google about the x99 Wellsburg specs explaining why the path and hardware design deference, And what it means for real world use.

Heres what I have from intel ARK comparing them

1218-V & 1211-AT. First glance I assume the suffixes are some product revision markers that intel make to hardware, -AT vs -V. Because they both start with a 121. I assumed the newer being the 18. Keep looking at the ARK and the AT is older but more expensive. I finally see the main spec change.... down the page the -AT NIC takes PCIe v2.1 (2.5GT/s) route. And the 1218-V seems to go direct to CPU/PCH?? Also GBE Vs GBps? Only can run at full GB ONLY? Currently I have been running the -V for the longest time. Never used the AT.... No issues, But what is this -AT PCIE nic truly for? And why 2.1? What happened to 3.0? WHY DOES IT EVEN EXIST LOL

TLDR: What the heck do the differences in pathways mean for real world use for the 2 nics on the board? what one do you use and why?!
(See intel ark for comparison of hardware)

Thanks for reading!

Update...wiki of all places had the x99 diagram. 67265

SOOO if anything the -V is faster? Thinking just data in and data out here, not a engineer. But It has to hit the PCIE controller inside the 6850k AND pass through PCH. Please take me to school on how this stuff works
17 REPLIES 17

Korth
Level 14
Intel Ethernet Controller I211-AT - ARK - Datasheet
Intel Ethernet Connection I218-V - ARK - Datasheet

Both parts are connected to the Intel Integrated 10/100/1000 MAC, which is connected to the X99 (DH82031PCH). The PCH and CPU are connected with 4xDMI2.0 (20Gbps) which is used for all motherboard hardware which isn't connected directly to CPU (network, storage, USB, etc). The I211-AT uses 1xPCIe2.1 (2.5GT/s) and the I218-V uses SM Bus 2.0 (~2.5GT/s).

The PCIe2.1 used by the I211-AT is "hardwired" and cannot be used for other PCIe2.1 devices. X99 motherboards lacking I211-AT might use this PCIe2.1 lane for a slot or for something else (such as a WiFi adapter).

The I211-AT is more robust. It can be linked (by the mobo manufacturer) to the IME, TPM, or other Intel platform technologies. It also has GPIO pins which can be linked to auxilliary networking hardware.

They have similar basic 10/100/1000 GbE capabilities and performances and are basically interchangeable for most consumers; both have the same Tx/Rx queues, packet buffers, timing and power management, ECC, etc. The I211-AT could be faster and better and more secure when combined with certain other embedded hardwares which ASUS did not install on these mobos. The bandwidths of these ports can be combined when both are used together in a "teaming" approach, or they can simultaneously be connected to different physical devices/networks.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Thank you!! So none has any major advantage over the other because they are forced through the same MAC. It seems the AT is more enterprise focused and has more features but, the ROG team did not want to QA/Implement it on this mobo. So it brings it pretty much equal to the V in most daily uses. The interconnect SM BUS 2.5 Vs pcie 2.5 also seems like a wash for speed for daily use. I have a SLI 1080 setup (which I OC) and a m.2 960 pro. My 6850k I want to keep stable at its sweet spot at 4.3 @1.26. I highly doubt making the change over to the AT is going to improve anything noticeable like 3dmark scores or IBT GFlop outputs. (182 currently) and only complicate things with driver cleanups and reinstall's. Unless you think its going to add less workload and bring up my scores? If its a wont help with that... Meh ill just stay with the -V. If I had a second WAN I could see myself teaming these up. But just the 1 for now.

In recap....
Benching and Overclocking my 6850k arround 4.2-4.5 3dmark, IBT and Realbench. Would I see any uptick in scores having this different path of connection? If so what is the driver you recommend for the AT to have its full capability's? And Should I disable the LAN 1 -v in the bios after uninstall? Or just disable it it devmgr?

Thank you again for being so in depth and giving me the full story!

Qoto159 wrote:

In recap.... Benching and Overclocking my 6850k arround 4.2-4.5 3dmark, IBT and Realbench. Would I see any uptick in scores having this different path of connection? If so what is the driver you recommend for the AT to have its full capability's? And Should I disable the LAN 1 -v in the bios after uninstall? Or just disable it it devmgr?

I doubt you will see better scores by swapping LAN ports.

Chino wrote:
I doubt you will see better scores by swapping LAN ports.

OK normally I wouldn't ask such a common sense question but being different architectures, and communication paths. I thought I would check. Based on my gathering of the above info I'll be sticking with port 1 and keep on keeping on. Wouldn't even be able to utilize the features for my basic Modem>router>GB Switch>2 laptops and the RE10. Or care about the Gamers first software. I keep it minimal.

*zoolander voice* points at second nic... WHAT IS THIS*

Thank you all for input and translating the Intel engineering level stuff down to function and practical use!!

Qoto159 wrote:
OK normally I wouldn't ask such a common sense question but being different architectures, and communication paths. I thought I would check. Based on my gathering of the above info I'll be sticking with port 1 and keep on keeping on. Wouldn't even be able to utilize the features for my basic Modem>router>GB Switch>2 laptops and the RE10. Or care about the Gamers first software. I keep it minimal.

*zoolander voice* points at second nic... WHAT IS THIS*

Thank you all for input and translating the Intel engineering level stuff down to function and practical use!!

I understand where you're coming from. If you're looking to get that perfect score, you can disable all the unnecessary devices in the BIOS. 😛

OK guys, quick note... Both drivers seemed to be identical on how they perform. BUT the uefi driver viewing the nic under the bios is like v3.5.06, (filler number) and the - V is v0.0.56. Actual number

Now that we have performance out of the way. Uefi side... Clearly the AT has a much more newer uefi hardware driver. Will that make any difference? I will upload pics in a few. On mobile

Sorry for the double bump. Phone browser is weird with uploads... But yeah. Quite contrast in uefi drivers. Hmmm

Curious that the two controllers have different MAC addresses. I'm guessing it's designed that way for IME interface.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]