cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx shutting down problem

Monstro1409
Level 7
Hi, since 2 months ago my Asus G74sx is shutting down by it self when I'm playing world of Warcraft even in low details, well I read some forum post about it and found that is AC problem (need a 180w) and a bd prochot (I think that's what it calls) and try to fix it with the fix that is in this forums. The big problem is that now the pc won't even keeps on 1 minute last week or last all morning watching movies and sound office work but now sometimes don't even reach the windows logo and turns off, the weird part is that the AC turns off too and I need to plug off the AC for a few minutes so it works again, mean while the laptop won't turn even with the battery so I need to let it sit like 2-10 minute depends on the humor of the equipment so it turns on, if I'm lucky the pc will start and work for a few minutes and turn off, if I'm not lucky the laptop just flash the lights and turn off and the AC just went dead again. At a normal rate the laptop turn on runs to login windows and turn off before it ends tuning the programs at start up.

So .... what the hell is happening with my laptop? Any ideas?

New motherboard??
New processor??
I know I need a new 180w AC but should work at least with office work right ?

I hope you can help me.*
12 REPLIES 12

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well no if your battery is dead, you should be able to run in on just the AC power alone, try removing the battery completely and see if that helps. I you don't have the correct power adapter for it that alone could cause issues. G74 should run with only the AC adapter.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Well I already try that and the laptop do the same it turns off quick*

Well hopefully you have your data backed up. You can try a repair install that might help. or Try a clean Install of windows, that should sort out whether its a hardware issue or Windows issue.

if the original hard drive is still in it, I would say it a pretty good chance that it is crashing. You could attempt to clone it to another know to be good hard drive?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Well same ****, can't getting for more than 10 minutes*

Do you think the processor is toast? Or the motherboard? I was planning to buy a motherboard and a 180w AC but I still don't know what's wrong*

JustinThyme
Level 13
Sounds more like a thermal issue. Had the same with mine until I pulled all the covers I could without disassembly and took an air compressor to it. Man the goop that came out of there. Ran fine ever since.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Sounds more like a thermal issue. Had the same with mine until I pulled all the covers I could without disassembly and took an air compressor to it. Man the goop that came out of there. Ran fine ever since.

I was thinking the same, I disassembly my laptop and do a deep cleaning and change thermal paste and thermal pads then the problem still persist that's why I think the something is toast but I don't know if is the processor or the motherboard it self. I got a same type processor and still happens the same*

C4RN1
Level 9
First things first, when you plug in the power cord to the laptop does it spark or make any noises? Does the orange charging light come on or do you get any lights at all?

C4RN1 wrote:
First things first, when you plug in the power cord to the laptop does it spark or make any noises? Does the orange charging light come on or do you get any lights at all?

plug the AC and no noises, the charging orange light is on, if the laptop is sit down like a day, the laptop starts and stays like 10 minutes on ( may be less or more) the it shuts down and the charger went off no lights and noises. After a few minutes of disconnect the AC works normal again no noises, I turn on the laptop and maybe it turns on all the way to login screen or jus lt turn on at windows boot logo and all goes to dead again even the AC I can repeat all that and will be the same result with less time on till is just don't boot. I let it sit for a day and the cycle goes on again.*