cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY AC charger disconnects while gaming.

ufotheswe
Level 7
So a few months ago my battery died, which in turn made my computer turn off while gaming. It seemed that the computer (GPU?) needed more power than the AC could give causing it to shut down.

So I got fixed the battery and everything worked fine for a week or two. Now when I play demanding games like PUBG the AC charger disconnects and reconnects frequently, and sometimes the computer shuts down. GPU-Z logs say that the temperature is not above 80' degrees just before the shut downs, which leads me to believe its a problem with energy consumption. The computer is an ASUS ROG G751JY with Nvidia 980m. The AC part is original, and battery is original too.

Other things to note is that during gaming the right side of the laptop is significantly warmer than the left side. The right side is where the AC intake is. The AC jack (?) is also pretty warm when gaming.

Again the disconnections and shut-downs only happens during demanding games. Never during browsing. Stress tests with FurMark will sometimes shut my computer off immediately, other times just disconnects and reconnects of the AC charger.

I am attaching some photos from a gaming session, with information form HWiNFO64 and GPU-z. The last picture is taken just as the charger disconnects and reconnects.

https://imgur.com/a/pgjnY

If I understand correctly my AC charger has 220 watt (19,5 V x 11,8 A), so I don't understand why its disconnecting. I thought maybe I could try to undervolt the GPU, but I dint find a program that could do it. The volt option in Afterburner is already at minimum it seems. I can only overvolt?

Regards
9 REPLIES 9

ufotheswe
Level 7
Update: When I run Furmark now, every time the laptop shuts down immediately when starting the stress-test. So its definitely not a problem with heat, and probably a faulty PSU problem :(*

MrRuckus
Level 10
ufotheswe wrote:

So I got fixed the battery and everything worked fine for a week or two.
Regards

What does this mean? How did you get it "fixed" and its still using the original battery/ac adapter?

It sounds like your battery may be dead, or is not supplying power to the laptop when gaming like it should if the laptop requires more juice then the adapter can supply (which is normal operation on these laptops).

Does it run fine on battery not gaming or stress testing? like say browsing or something light duty like that? How much time does it give you with a full charge? Hover over the battery icon by the clock and it should give you an estimated time remaining on the battery.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

ufotheswe
Level 7
Yes the battery works fine. I can do everything except gaming or stress testing with the battery alone. I cant find the information about how long, and dont wanna stress the battery either, haha. But alteast an hour or two with just browsing i'd guess.

ufotheswe
Level 7
One more thought. I just tested fumark with only the battery, and the laptop shut down after 2 seconds. So how can the PSU be the problem when the same thing happens with just the battery?

I wish I found a way to undervolt the GPU.

ufotheswe wrote:
One more thought. I just tested fumark with only the battery, and the laptop shut down after 2 seconds. So how can the PSU be the problem when the same thing happens with just the battery?

I wish I found a way to undervolt the GPU.

You may be able to. Looks like Dreamonic has a Modded vBios flash for your laptop which opens up more options for voltage/clocks. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are technically comfortable doing so. Do this at your own risk of course. But I run one of those on my laptop and I believe it undervolted the GPU in its default settings. Also runs much quicker over stock. A program like GPU-Z will tell you the brand of memory you have under Memory type. Good luck!

http://voltground.com/haven/threads/4/

EDIT: Just be aware the clocks may be edited with that vBios, so you will need to use an overclocking utility and bump then down back to stock, so then you will be undervolted & at stock speeds.

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-980m/specifications
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Julskey
Level 10
Most probably, heat problem. Try cleaning vents with compressed air if possible.

ufotheswe
Level 7
@mrruckus thanks alot, I will look into that. I've never done anything close to that - but I will give it a try. Now my 2000 usd laptop can just browse anyway...

@julskey the computer is clean. And it shuts down when its 50 degrees, when i stresstest with furmark, both on the battery and on the PSU. So actually I am starting to believe that its not a problem with the PSU but with either the GPU or the motherboard. Some faulty chip or something?

Julskey
Level 10
Have you tried to repaste the GPU/CPU chips/heatsinks? If it's not a problem with temperature, then it could be a problem with the temp sensors or could be any hardware failure as you suspect. Could be failing connections on your hardware, like intermittent connections (cold solders/cracked solders) on sensors(etc). Fans still running fine? Tried running different OS (like Linux for example?) Does it shut down when just browsing the web? I believe browsing the web does not raise your gpu/cpu temps to more than 45deg C.

I Still belive it is likely Temperature problem.

ufotheswe
Level 7
Thanks for your reply @julskey. No I have yet to try repasting, is it even possible on this mobile?

No when I am browsing or playing low demanding games, there is no disconnect. I just played a 30 min game of HOTS and it only disconnected for 1 second, once.

To try Linux is a good idea. I will try to install Mint and stresstest with FurMark there to see what happens. I just formatted the PC though so it would be weird that its a windows issue?

The fact that the laptop worked fine for one year and suddenly starts acting up makes me believe that its a hardware issue. Maybe likyou said. Even though I dont know what it means when you say failing connectors or sensors 😄

But you are right, the temps are 52-55 while just browsing now. Hmm..