cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VS GTX1070 Undervolting for Performance

FastM
Level 8
So I understand a little better how the MSI Afterburner app works, however please correct me if you see bad info.

So far I've been using the 10minute 3DMark Time Spy stress test to check for stability. (if someone can recommend something better I'm all ears) I most play PUBG at this point so when I have some more time to play I'll know for sure if the curve is stable.

Basically I'm trying to find a curve that runs the most MHz stable with the least amount of mV.

So far, My curve starts at

800mV = 1695mhz
812mV = 1721mhz
825mv = 1733mhz
831mV = 1746mhz
843mV = 1759mhz
850mV = 1771mhz
862mV = 1797mhz
875mV = 1809mhz
881mv = 1822mhz
893mV = 1847mhz
900mV = 1860mhz

As of the 850mV point the chart is a flatline of 1784Mhz. ** I can confirm this curve is stable through hours of PUBG gaming. Combined with a CPU undervolt of -110mV (my game would lockup at -120mV) I see the CPU maxing out in the low 80c's and the GPU in the low 60c's. **

What's most important with this curve is the GPU Mhz stays solid at 1784 throughout my gaming session which I think helps create a smooth gaming experience. What I also like is that I haven't sacrificed any performance (CPU turboboost is Enabled) and my benchmark numbers are better than out of the box with the system running A Lot cooler.

If you haven't tried undervolting your GPU yet well do it. I feel like this curve should be fine for most people as I'm not pushing the Mhz that high and the 850mV is low enough to prevent too much heat being generated.

I'd really like if someone else tried this GPU curve and gave me feedback on Benchmarks and Gaming stability/performance.

**Edit**

Just updated my curve, made some cooling modification improvements (repaste, drilled circle holes over the fans) and have been able to run higher mV/MHz with solid temps and good stability.

Playing pubg with the fans set to 40% boost I get average temps of CPU: low 70c's and GPU: 65c.

Since the more recent update I haven't experienced any crashes. I did however try running the fans back on auto last night, the CPU was running low 80c's and the GPU hitting 75c and my game crashed once. I think to maintain this undervolt/overclock the temps need to be kept in check.
28 REPLIES 28

Nightwing113
Level 7
FastM wrote:
So I understand a little better how the MSI Afterburner app works, however please correct me if you see bad info.

So far I've been using the 10minute 3DMark Time Spy stress test to check for stability. (if someone can recommend something better I'm all ears) I most play PUBG at this point so when I have some more time to play I'll know for sure if the curve is stable.

Basically I'm trying to find a curve that runs the most MHz stable with the least amount of mV.

So far, My curve starts at

800mV = 1746mhz
812mV = 1756mhz (this second step wasn't enough to be stable at 1771)
825mv = 1771mhz (firestrike score of 14,265!!)
831mV = 1771mhz (wasn't stable over 1771mhz so had to leave it flat)
843mV = 1797mhz firestrike score of 14,415!)
850mV = 1797mhz (couldn't push it further so left it at 1797 for stability)

The next mV point is 862mV so we'll see how much more MHz I can squeeze out.

** I realize that a quick Time Spy stress test and a FireStrike run don't compare to a 2-3 hour session of the more demanding games so there's a good chance this curve I'm making wont be stable. If that is the case i'll just back every mV point back step in Mhz and it should still be okay.

So I'm curious how aggressive others have pushed that curve and if you do own a 702VS and haven't tried this well you have to lol. I've been able to re-enable TurboBoost and so far my CPU maxes out in the low 80c's and the GPU never gets hotter than 70-71c.

I have tried MANY MANY configurations. Any clock above 1700 would virtually give you 0 performance benefits. ( I did tests repetedly) And the I barely got 0.5 - 3 better MAX FPS ( and this is all not stable, sometimes it's good sometimes not).
Plus that 3d mark or anyother test is not really reliable, I got over hours stable within it or unigine valley but I still crash on games like Battlefield 1 anyway.
Try your clocks with games and FPS tests not only stability.

My current curve with the best yields is 1720Mhz at 800mV.
It is at least +95% Stable and provided me with the best performance,least heat, least power consump.

FastM
Level 8
Yeah I'm started to see what your saying. For me I'm thinking the sweet spot for these GPU 's 1797Mhz. I've edited my original Post with the curve I'm running now.

As soon as I want to go over 1797 it seems to need a lot more voltage to be stable and I find the GPU starting to fluctuate its speed. So far with that curve I've been able to get through some intense 3-4 hour PUBG sessions and the GPU stays locked to 1797Mhz at a relatively cool 61-62c. The CPU is free to go full turboboost and maxes out in the low 80c's.

Okay I've edited my original post again. In the end I have trouble getting 1797 to run well without pushing the voltage to much, which ends up causing the GPU to downclock back to 1784 anyway..

I'd love if someone gave that simple curve a shot and let me know how it runs.

2nd, I have an Cold Boot issue when my CPU undervolt is applied. Basiclly if I shut down the laptop with the CPU undervolt active it locks up with a black screen when trying to boot windows the next day. I need to hold the power button to do a hard shutdown and when re-booting it fires up no problem (I think the undervolt gets reset to defaults at that point).

While the system is warm I can reboot and even power off boot without issue, its only after its been sitting over night, the next morning is crashes everytime. At this point I'm using the profiles with ThrottleStop and remembering to disable the undervolt before shutting it down. I'm surprised now one else has a problem like this? I've searched around and never found anything.

I've also encountered the same speeds as you have. While I created a curve that makes the graphics card clock to around 1820 MHZ, it's not stable as I experience micro stutters here and there. I've read that the TDP of Mobile 1070s is limited to 120 Watts, hence our limited overclocking potential. Still though, free performance.

FastM wrote:
Okay I've edited my original post again. In the end I have trouble getting 1797 to run well without pushing the voltage to much, which ends up causing the GPU to downclock back to 1784 anyway..

I'd love if someone gave that simple curve a shot and let me know how it runs.

2nd, I have an Cold Boot issue when my CPU undervolt is applied. Basiclly if I shut down the laptop with the CPU undervolt active it locks up with a black screen when trying to boot windows the next day. I need to hold the power button to do a hard shutdown and when re-booting it fires up no problem (I think the undervolt gets reset to defaults at that point).

While the system is warm I can reboot and even power off boot without issue, its only after its been sitting over night, the next morning is crashes everytime. At this point I'm using the profiles with ThrottleStop and remembering to disable the undervolt before shutting it down. I'm surprised now one else has a problem like this? I've searched around and never found anything.

Concerning the black screen issue - I believe it has nothing to do with undervolts. I've had the same issue, disabled Fast Boot in Windows power settings and never had this problem since. Give it a try.

TornaD-oz wrote:
Concerning the black screen issue - I believe it has nothing to do with undervolts. I've had the same issue, disabled Fast Boot in Windows power settings and never had this problem since. Give it a try.

Yes I believe you are right. Luckily mine has stopped doing it a while ago but Fast Boot would be my next change if it started again.

Hey guys
After undervolting my GPU to 1784, i have noticed that while in loading screen in games some black lines start to appear on the screen (like the gpu is broken or about to die), But once i enter the game they disappear.

Any1 had this problem and fixed it? is 1784 too low? should i make it higher?

Bourak wrote:
Hey guys
After undervolting my GPU to 1784, i have noticed that while in loading screen in games some black lines start to appear on the screen (like the gpu is broken or about to die), But once i enter the game they disappear.

Any1 had this problem and fixed it? is 1784 too low? should i make it higher?

I would say 1784@800mV is high, maybe give it a little more voltage? *

when i capped mine at 1784 i was at 850mV, where are you?*

Here is a pic of how the curve looks like