cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cpu cooling

jbasemoine
Level 9
Hey there hi there ho there!

Just got a question about Cpu cooling on a ryzen 1800x.
Atm i'm using a old Zalman air cooler (i believe it's the 9600 Silent but can be mistake the exact "type"), anyway my pc have shut down 3 times this deu to "high/overheating temprature"..... which is not exactly treu but the MB tells me it's overheating while AMD master still show around 62 degrees celcius.
But since the CPU cooler is pretty old, and everything in my system is "brand new" i'm deciding to purchase a new CPU cooler.
Till now i have only had experiance with air cpu cooler and i'm looking at a AIO Cpu cooler, the reason why i'm looking for AIO is because i don't want no huge ugly Skyscraper... those things just look hideous is you ask ruining my whole pc build :S

Now i would to know if anyone else have any experiance with those AIO cpu coolers ?
How about noise production ?
And are they reliable ? (no leaking etc..... which is one of my main fears, computers and water don't go together all t well :P)

The brand/cooler i'm looking at is the NZXT Kraken X62, so if any got any experiance with this particulair cooler i would love to hear it :D!
12 REPLIES 12

MrPhil17
Level 7
jbasemoine wrote:
Hey there hi there ho there!

Just got a question about Cpu cooling on a ryzen 1800x.
Atm i'm using a old Zalman air cooler (i believe it's the 9600 Silent but can be mistake the exact "type"), anyway my pc have shut down 3 times this deu to "high/overheating temprature"..... which is not exactly treu but the MB tells me it's overheating while AMD master still show around 62 degrees celcius.
But since the CPU cooler is pretty old, and everything in my system is "brand new" i'm deciding to purchase a new CPU cooler.
Till now i have only had experiance with air cpu cooler and i'm looking at a AIO Cpu cooler, the reason why i'm looking for AIO is because i don't want no huge ugly Skyscraper... those things just look hideous is you ask ruining my whole pc build :S

Now i would to know if anyone else have any experiance with those AIO cpu coolers ?
How about noise production ?
And are they reliable ? (no leaking etc..... which is one of my main fears, computers and water don't go together all t well :P)

The brand/cooler i'm looking at is the NZXT Kraken X62, so if any got any experiance with this particulair cooler i would love to hear it :D!

I have a Corsair Hydro H100i V2 and this issue happen when i try some heavy stress test. It turn off even if it not reach 100°c (120°c with +20 offset).

andyliu
Level 9
I personally use 2 aio, 1 for CPU and 1 for GPU, both works fine, and they def helps on acoustic and temp.

and as far as reliability, most brand name AIO should be reliable enough these days. As long as you dont go crazy and twist the tube in awkward way, they should be relatively easy to set up and not leaking.

if you want to be sure, just get some paper towels over say, on top of graphic card, and cover areas where tube connects for the first hour to be sure no leaking.

you also want to make sure that your case have enough clearance to install the radiator.

jbasemoine
Level 9
I have purchase the NZXT X62 AIO water cooler.
After long debating what i wanted i decided to go towards a AIO for the first time, and i'm verry satisfied with the results and the cooling prestation of this cooler!
Though i have a couple of things i would like to share!

I purchase the 280 mm radiator version with the 2 140mm fans, the pump aswel as the fans (when below 70% are pretty silent, that is a real good thing if you aks me! nothing is more irritating then having a yet engine on you're desk!
I own a Cm storm Stryker case (full tower) and even in this case it's a close fit when placing the cooler on the top, i will fit but you nee to really think about cable managment specialy the 8 pin connector on the top of the Motherboard can be hard to reach using the "hole's" of the case to put the cables through, the fans will/might be bloking most these cable "hole's" so i neede to re route the cable, it's not a big point but i needed to re rout the cable multiple times before i found a route which i'm sastified with.
Also the tubes on the Pump will disable you to use a additional set of ram or you really need to look/think/purchase small/thin ram modules, if had a other set of G.Skill trident RGB ram the it either might not fit or the tubes will press against the Ram module (dunno if you're happy with that!)
The only work around i can think is to turn the PUMP 180 degrees but the tubes might be pressing against (i believe it's called) the north bank... no matter how you place the pump the tubing might be verry tight fit!
The pump itself hase RGB, now back in the day where you could install NEON light bars i was addicted to all those lamps and what not you could install in the case, the RGB is verry thight and i LOVE it 😄 but to be fait almost every component in my pc does have RGB 😄 i'm just a small child who love pretty colours/lights 😛
Also i did some benchmarking and some gamin with the Cooler on silent mode. during the stress test the |CPU did not go over 50 degrees while game it was between 42 and 48 degrees when set on preformance it was around 42 stressed and 36 while gaming, this on a bas clock CPU, i have benchemarks with cooler and the 1800x overclocked running to 66 degrees while stressed on preformace mode!

Reason why i choose AIO over Air cooling:

Well the main reasons are simple.
I have had BAD VERRY BAD experiance with one my old dual core AMD procsessor's i coold that CPU whit a Cooler master "Skyscraper" cooling fan (one of those massive blocks which are extremly common now a days) it work, and it works verry well.
BUT after 8 months for some reason one of the screws broke, now i'm not a engineer but the 4 small screws needed to keep a cooling block that was almost 1kg (722 gram if i'm not mistaken) which hang horizontal in the case.. in the end the weight was to much (or the screw was faulty) it broke the whole cooler came down like a avalange destroying/deepfrying my CPU, GPU, Power supply and mother board, there was this big flash of electric and all thing shutted down there was this smell of power failer.......
After that i have alwasy hated an been verry causios with "skyscraper" coolers.
Before i used the AIO i had a 'flat" Zalman cooler which Always did the trick but after 6 or 7 years of abuse 😛 the fan wasn't able to spin at top speed and was stuck at 938 RPM... not being able to properly cool my ryzen!

Reason 2: :Look at the noctua cooler THERE HIDIOUS just plain awefull.... so i'm not saying my pc set is the most prettiest in world 😛 but the a Notua cooler won't make it any more beautifull.

Reason 3: Form factor, some of them are so fing big that i would need to remove my GPU and even my ram, so i need to switch to 1 ram stick just because the fing cooler is so huge!

Reason 4: A cooler from almost 1kg in weight is beeing hold on its place by fire tiny screws...

Who cares about aesthetics when it comes to function. Cannot get better than the Noctua D15 for air. Have no issue with having two sticks of ram with that cooler installed. The outside fan just needs to be raised a tiny bit to accommodate large heat spreaders. Choosing form over function is way too limiting. Only one way to get both...custom water loop. If performance is not the main goal than form over function is fine. That cooler is why made sure my case mounted the board horizontally.

Clouseau wrote:
Who cares about aesthetics when it comes to function. Cannot get better than the Noctua D15 for air. Have no issue with having two sticks of ram with that cooler installed. The outside fan just needs to be raised a tiny bit to accommodate large heat spreaders. Choosing form over function is way too limiting. Only one way to get both...custom water loop. If performance is not the main goal than form over function is fine. That cooler is why made sure my case mounted the board horizontally.

Wait,a pc with the D15 is supposed to stay horizontally?

Flink488 wrote:
Wait,a pc with the D15 is supposed to stay horizontally?

The Noctua website gives no guidance on vertical versus horizontal mounting of the NH-D15 and D15S air coolers. My NH-D15S is mounted vertically on a Rampage V Extreme, and I have bumped it several times during the build. Seems very securely mounted and everything is ok at least so far. The R5E has a very strong steel backplate on the PCB behind the CPU socket and that gives a vertical mount a lot of support. For an LGA1151, the D15S and D15 kits provide a steel backplate for this very purpose. It is just my opinion but I believe the steel backplate makes vertical mounting much safer than it would be without a backplate. From the Noctua website D15 mounting instructions: Q. "Should I take the cooler off before transporting my system?" A. As it is not possible to reliably calculate or control the forces that act upon a system during transport (e.g. in shipping), we generally recommend, for safety reasons, taking the cooler off. Noctua cannot be held responsible for any damage that may arise due to excessive stress during transport if you keep the heatsink installed."
Anyway, it seems very secure with a steel backplate, so IMHO I wouldn't worry about vertical mounting. For transport, I would position the computer horizontally.

Syaoran
Level 7
I run an Arctic Cooling Freezer 360 in a push/pull config with the included fans. I have no complaints but being a 360mm rad, it requires a roomy case with a lot of clearance for those 6 fans and the rad. The case I am running it in is a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe with the tempered glass window. There is more than enough room in that case for just about any setup.
Syaoran

Syaoran wrote:
I run an Arctic Cooling Freezer 360 in a push/pull config with the included fans. I have no complaints but being a 360mm rad, it requires a roomy case with a lot of clearance for those 6 fans and the rad. The case I am running it in is a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe with the tempered glass window. There is more than enough room in that case for just about any setup.

That three (six) fan 360mm radiator liquid cooling looks great. I almost went with something similar for my build but got worried about leaks so went with the Noctua D15S air cooler with its huge size. I know modern AIO liquid coolers have become quiet reliable, but as with all things there must be an increased probability of failure over time, and I tend to keep computers a long time. I have never seen a failure rate curve plotted out to, say, 10 years but would love to see one. Is there a negligible failure rate that is constant over time or is there a point in time where failures accelerate rapidly? I have no idea.

R5Eandme wrote:
That three (six) fan 360mm radiator liquid cooling looks great. I almost went with something similar for my build but got worried about leaks so went with the Noctua D15S air cooler with its huge size. I know modern AIO liquid coolers have become quiet reliable, but as with all things there must be an increased probability of failure over time, and I tend to keep computers a long time. I have never seen a failure rate curve plotted out to, say, 10 years but would love to see one. Is there a negligible failure rate that is constant over time or is there a point in time where failures accelerate rapidly? I have no idea.

I ran it with the rad outside of my case before fully mounting it to make sure. I always boot my builds outside of the case, configure the BIOS, and let them run for about a half hour before hand. Before choosing to go with the AC Freezer 360, I had a MSI B350 build for a customer who wanted the AC Freezer 240 on their build. The 360 wasn't available at that time but I was impressed enough with it to pre-order the 360 for my build, which has been out for a while now. One of the nicer things about the push/pull setup is that you can easily lower the fan speeds yet still keep a decent amount of airflow moving. I do keep mine at 100% all of the time though because Q-Fan is a disaster on the C6H. Even though all 6 fans are running at full speed, I barely hear them.
Syaoran