cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good unit or filled with Backlight Bleed? PG279Q BLB

selmantabet
Level 7
Hey,

I've just received my PG279Q from Newegg and I've taken some pictures of it on brightness levels of 50 and 100 in 4 different ISO exposure values (100,200,400 and 800). I just want opinions on the backlight bleed and IPS glow to figure if it is worth sending back to Newegg.

Full imgur album of all pictures, each is captioned with details of the lighting: http://imgur.com/gallery/n1kwF

Would highly appreciate your input.

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

Nate152
Hi selmantabet

Welcome to the ROG forum !

ALL IPS monitors including mine exhibit light bleed with a black background in a dark room, you shouldn't see any light bleed when using the monitor normally or playing games.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi selmantabet

Welcome to the ROG forum !

ALL IPS monitors including mine exhibit light bleed with a black background in a dark room, you shouldn't see any light bleed when using the monitor normally or playing games.

Right, but different units exhibit different degrees of IPS glow and/or Backlight Bleed. But I'm aware that they are just drawbacks of the technology. Some are perceived as "terrible" to the degree that it would be worth getting a replacement.

Nate152
I'd use it normally and play some games, if you don't notice any light bleed then you have a good monitor.

I can play games in a dark room and not see any light bleed, setting a black background in a dark room we will always see light bleed. 🙂

AlexiTQ
Level 9
It's always difficult to tell from pictures but I think it looks normal and even fairly decent (i.e good but not the best dislay I've seen). The uniformity could be better though. You could test if this bothers you by moving a picture around the screen to see how noticeable the variations are. Keep in mind though that IPS glow will have a noticeable effect. This is something you'll have on any large IPS display, except perhaps more expensive professional displays that use polarizing filters (like Eizo's CG- and CX-series).

Also, it's pretty useless to test this at full brightness. 350 nits is great if you want to burn a hole in you retina. For regular use try to find a setting that gives you around 100-120 nits (you could probably find a decent setting through some reviews, in case you don't have a measuring device).

AlexiTQ wrote:
It's always difficult to tell from pictures but I think it looks normal and even fairly decent (i.e good but not the best dislay I've seen). The uniformity could be better though. You could test if this bothers you by moving a picture around the screen to see how noticeable the variations are. Keep in mind though that IPS glow will have a noticeable effect. This is something you'll have on any large IPS display, except perhaps more expensive professional displays that use polarizing filters (like Eizo's CG- and CX-series).

Also, it's pretty useless to test this at full brightness. 350 nits is great if you want to burn a hole in you retina. For regular use try to find a setting that gives you around 100-120 nits (you could probably find a decent setting through some reviews, in case you don't have a measuring device).

Bless you, that's the sort of reply I was looking for, cheers mate.

selmantabet wrote:
Bless you, that's the sort of reply I was looking for, cheers mate.

You're very welcome. 🙂

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Click the pic to make it bigger.

I am very well aware of the way that IPS works, it's just that PG279Q has been notorious for some issues amongst reviews (even after improved "advanced screening" in ASUS's QC) related to this at a significantly higher extent compared to rival IPS monitors. And as there were a lot of people complaining about it, it seemed like an IPS lottery in which one unit could have much less BLB/IPS glow compared to other units even after undergoing the same QC process. Since each unit has a certain distinct degree of glow and bleed, I want to see how much does mine compare to other units.

Once again, I was well aware of what I was getting into upon buying this monitor and have done research. I was praying that I would get a considerably "good" unit with minimal BLB and glow lol.

Nate152
I understand what you're saying, I don't have this particular monitor so hopefully some members that do will chime in. 🙂

How do games look on it ?