Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sanity check

ferrugia
Level 7
Hardware:
i7-7700K
ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I GAMING
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) - Model F4-3600C16D-16GTZ
Corsair H60 water cooling

BIOS Settings (I have the latest BIOS):
adaptive power with 1.3v Vcore at activation
memory is running at 3600 using XMP profile
AC and DC load lines at .01
(everything else not mentioned would be the default setting -- eg. base clock is 100, etc)

My question is I am only able to get the system up to 4.7ghz using a 47 multiplier. I understand that 5.0ghz is only attainable on some chips and de-lidding is usually necessary due to heat, however I was thinking I would be able to get 4.8ghz or even 4.9ghz on this config. The memory running at 3600 doesn't seem to be an issue since even when I drop that to 2166, or whatever the non-XMP BIOS default speed is, I get the same issue (I have been turning XMP off when testing to eliminate the memory). The temps I have been getting under load are low to mid 70's. What else should I be looking at to try to hit 4.8ghz? Move to voltage up from 1.3 to closer to 1.35? System agent and VCCIO should be fine on auto since I eliminated the memory by turning off XMP and it still crashed at a 48 multiplier, correct? Is the vCore the last thing I need to be looking at increasing before deciding this CPU only does 4.7ghz? Just looking for low hanging fruit here if I'm missing anything so looking for a sanity check -- not going to go crazy over getting the last .1 or .2 ghz, especially if it means running the chip hot (80C+).
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hi ferrugia

Welcome to the ROG forum !

You got it, all you need to play with is the cpu core ratio and cpu core/cache voltage to overclock the cpu. I let the Load Lines on Auto and set LLC to level 6.

I have a good overclocking 7700k plus I delidded it, here are my results in Hwinfo.

What program are you using for stress testing ? ROG Realbench is a good program to use.

Click the picture to make it bigger.

Thanks. I was following Raja's guides on setting the Load Lines to .01. I don't see LLC Level 6 in my BIOS.

Looks like 4.8ghz is the breaking point point in my config. Stable at 1.35 vCore but temps are getting up in the high 70's under load. I see you got it up to 5.2ghz which is great but that would definitely require a de-lid and a better cooling system than what I have. Your temps are very low running a vCore that high.

I'm using Prime95 when I want to flog it.

Nate152
I will recommend using ROG Realbench, you'll have much better temps with it. That's actually pretty good temps with the H60.

LLC is found in the DiGi+ section of the bios. LLC helps with vdroop, the higher the setting the more it will overshoot the voltage you set. Usually a setting of 4 - 6 keeps the voltage at or close to what you're setting. At level 6 mine fluctuates from 1.440v to 1.456v.

You can take stress testing temps up to 90c so you still have some room if you want to push it.

https://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

Thanks. AC and DC load line are an attempt to control the vdroop as well I thought. Do you know the difference using this vs the LLC level setting?

Nate152

I think I need to throw in the towel at 4.8ghz on this silicon I wound up with (purchased new from NewEgg). It actually needs 1.37 vCore to be 100% stable at a 48 multiplier (the 1.35 I stated earlier is only 99.9% stable upon extensive testing). I tried bumping the vCore up to 1.4 to see if I could get a stable 49 multiplier but I'm running into heat issues. Switched to Realbench but on the AVX temps are reaching 88 C. Will run with 4.8ghz for now, assuming I'm not missing anything, and then maybe try to bump to 4.9 or 5.0 later for lighter loads using the AVX offset to bump it back down to 4.8 under heavy AVX loads (which once I'm done testing I'm rarely going to be using anyway). Thanks.

ferrugia wrote:
I think I need to throw in the towel at 4.8ghz on this silicon I wound up with (purchased new from NewEgg). It actually needs 1.37 vCore to be 100% stable at a 48 multiplier (the 1.35 I stated earlier is only 99.9% stable upon extensive testing). I tried bumping the vCore up to 1.4 to see if I could get a stable 49 multiplier but I'm running into heat issues. Switched to Realbench but on the AVX temps are reaching 88 C. Will run with 4.8ghz for now, assuming I'm not missing anything, and then maybe try to bump to 4.9 or 5.0 later for lighter loads using the AVX offset to bump it back down to 4.8 under heavy AVX loads (which once I'm done testing I'm rarely going to be using anyway). Thanks.

It would be a very bad chip if this was the best achievable. It may be worth taking a closer look at SA and VCCIO settings.
I have a 270h and from bios 0906 stability was a bit whack due to something changing in the way these voltages set.

I ended up going back to the launch BIOS for a couple of months as this was more stable on lower voltages. It would be quicker probably to do a bios downgrade to see how the launch one performs than to manually tweak the SA and VCC.

I know DIPs is not the best way to overclock, but have you tried letting Ai Suite do an overclock? Maybe it can find some better settings for you.

Could you also list your overclock settings ie offset, offset sign are you using auto voltage or adaptive?

Thanks for the response. I considered SA and VCCIO....however I can't get to a 49 multiplier on a 1.4 vCore even with XMP disabled (aka running at 2133). According to Raja's guide you only need to turn to the SA and VCCIO adjustments if enabling XMP causes instability.

I'm using adaptive voltage with a + Offset Mode Sign, 1.4 Additional Turbe Mode CPU Core Voltage, and Auto Offset Voltage.

When I tried using the AI Suite and also BIOS to "automatically" overclock, it was not able to do any better. I also tried using the 5.0 OC profile that comes with my BIOS but it won't even post.

Nate152
Yeah, it looks like you have an under achiever of a cpu as far as overclocking goes.

The CPU System Agent voltage can help get you stable if you're on the edge of stability, for fun you could set it to 1.25v to see if it helps you gain another 100MHz.

Try setting the offset voltage to +0.001v and see if this makes any difference.